Welcome to Night Vale - Mafia

Comments

• Hmm... And I just realized that Cyna voted against Krackenor on D3...

Cyna said:
    I don't really know what's going on still. There are a lot of names and posts, and this is my first mafia game on the forums. Really sorry. But sure, everyone seems to be voting for Krackenor. So I'll do that.

Vote Krackenor

At this point, Krackenor was under a lot of scrutiny. Maybe she was hoping that throwing him under the bus and having him flip mafia would have given her 'lost and confused' a bit more credibility and belay suspicions against her. Alternatively, she was all to happy to help us lynch town. This has me feeling doubts about my vote, I'll admit it.

But! Lynching Krackenor gives us:

1. Confirmation on whether to give Ushaara the all-clear or the noose. With Ushaara neglecting to mention who he watched last night in his first post for today, my cultist senses are tingling now more than ever. In ToS, when you get turned, you lose your original set of powers.
    2. More info for how to approach the Kira/Cyn problem.
       (a) If he flips town, then Silvanus investigated Cyn for real, and that girl wins a free lynch.
       (b) If he flips mafia, Cyn still isn't in the clear, but we can work with it.
    3. Another Lusternian reveal.
       (a) If he flips town, we now know that not all Lusternians are baddies.
       (b) If he flips mafia, we have more reason to scrutinize the remaining Lusternians.
    4. A few more details on Ellowyn's bus power.
       (a) If he flips town, we know that EITHER Ellowyn can't override a previously locked-in but delayed target. Which I guess isn't that useful to know because we'll be lynching Kira/Cyn the next dayphase anyways. OR Ellowyn isn't really a bus driver at all (this one feels unlikely to me because how else can you explain the lack of SK kill on N2).
       (b) If he flips mafia, we know that Ellowyn's bus can affect aeoned targets. Neato.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    After my first night watch attempt of Ssaliss failing, once Ieptix confirmed I was only a watcher, I've just been assuming Ssaliss has been jailing himself away every night. You're right in that he's been very low-key though.

Again going to say it until I'm blue in the face but Krackenor as a cult leader and me in his cult makes no sense given how open we've been about it. Anyone else coming forward and saying they were lichseeded last night? No? Cult still limited to max 2 members. Reality? There's no cult.
  • Yeah; I was trying to keep my power kinda in the dark, hoping the mafia would get jumpy and target me at some point. Ushaara is only half-right though. I am a jailer, but I haven't jailed myself; I also have a "retreat to my sky office" power, which is a commuter power. For all intents and purposes though, it's the same as me jailing myself. For anyone doubting I'd jail myself every night, see the Chimaera game :P

Anyway, thoughts:

@Krackenor: I honestly doubt he's scum. His lichseed is a rather strong ability, and it'd be odd if it could be used the same night as scum killed. Also, in the hands of the scum, it'd be an extremely potent thing, since he'd only have three people to lichseed. I'm still not sure he's actually town; it could very easily be a cult-esque power, where he has to turn x people into undead in order to win. Either way, I'm fine with offing him.

@Ellowyn: Considering tonights swaps, I'm honestly starting to doubt he's a busdriver at all. It'd be extremely easy for him to go "Huh, I guess I can't busdrive aeoned targets" if things don't go his way. Instead, I'm starting to think he's the missing Celestian. He was among the last to claim (might've even be the last?), which means there's few possibilities of claiming the same role as someone else and getting caught on it. He also claimed a (from what I can gather) a rather low-key character. Further, all our other powers kinda make sense, but why on earth would a theatre writer even have the ability to swap two people? That does not make sense. Further, him bussing the known target of investigation with Krackenor, who we already were suspicious about, could very well be an attempt at saving Celina's hide.

@Celina: Here, I'm honestly not sure. The aeon power is a weird one, and it doesn't seem to follow what I'd expect from it. If Ellowyn is scum, then Celina would definitely be among the people I'd suspect the most.

@Ushaara: I think he was who he said he was at the start of the game. However, if Krackenor reveals some odd power during his lynching (assuming we lynch him), then yeah, he'd be someone to look closer at. That goes without saying though, I guess.
    Sylandra said:
    (Curiously, Ssaliss has played pretty quietly this game but it hasn't seemed scummy to me tbh. Something to note.)
    This is honestly how I like to play. The Gods and Monsters game was extremely uncomfortable for me, having to stand in center stage. I rather prefer standing off to one side and just gather information.
  • Also, as an addendum to the previous post: The reason I'm not suspicious of Falmiis, despite being a Serenwilder, is that the kills have been very specific, and for that reason I kinda doubt a scum would claim very early on. That's also why I'm not sure about Celina, and partly why I don't think Krackenor is mafia. Don't get me wrong, if we find someone who's been gored to death, I'll be leading the charge on Falmiis, and if we find someone with crystals all around, bye-bye Celina. Them claiming early, however, lends some credence to their non-scumminess. It's also, I suspect, the reason why no one has claimed to be the Celestian; the moment someone took a nap with the fishes, they'd be the obvious target.
    Situation as it stands to me is:

1) Silvanus investigated Cyndarin with the result being Cyndarin is mafia.
    2) Ellowyn claimed she swapped Cyndarin and Krackenor, so Silvanus' result is actually for Krackenor.
    3) Then me claiming that my flavour messages vindicate Krackenor and prove him to be pro-town.

While it is up to the mod's discretion, no-one has had any 'night-time shenanigans going on' flavour message that would suggest a bus-driver is in play. The suggestion has only been put out there by Kira (now Cyndarin), i.e. someone who was investigated as mafia, and later claimed by Ellowyn, in what was a fairly weak claim, as Ssaliss outlined above.

I think it is much more likely that it is Kira/@Cyndarin who has the bus-driver power as a second ability, since Aeonics actually has a SwitchFate ability.

I don't believe anyone has been SwitchFate'd though, since aeoning has already proven to be extremely disruptive and confusing for town though. It just leaves Ellowyn a power to claim that Cyndarin can use on her behalf while she remains in the game.

Lynch one, block and vig the other tonight = success!
    And actually, if that holds through, then yes, probably more important to lynch Cyndarin today and deal with whatever Ellowyn's powers are tonight/tomorrow, since aeon/switchfate could likely interrupt the night actions more, on the off-chance they can avoid a role block a la Protestant's Prayer of the Reign game. (*shakefist).

Vote Cyndarin
  • Might as well start at that end of the mess, I guess.

Vote: Cyndarin
  • Well, I can't say I've ever thought Ellowyn to be a masculine name nor have I ever been called a male so many times by the one person, but hey, why not mix it up!

Also, Ssaliss, you're wrong again: I do have the power to transport people.  I can't help it if there is no text sent a long with it.  @Ieptix, can you please confirm that I can transport people, if that is something you're able to do?

And my character is someone from the theatre and I could swap any two characters to change the story, etc.  It is a little funny to role claim, have people not believe you and make up all these crazy theories about it.  

@Sylandra, what did you do last night?  I'll be interested to see how it pans out tonight.
  • ... You're asking the mod to verify that you are speaking the truth and clear your name? That would be him blatantly taking one side over the other when it's his job to be a neutral administrator of chaos. You're on your own if you want to prove your innocence, and declaring me mafia based on your unproven and suspiciously silent power and in defense of Cyndarin isn't going to endear me to you.
  • Obligatory "There are no girls on the internet," etc.

Whoever doesn't get lynched, please remember that we need to jail or rb the others. Right now I don't trust any Lusternian. I'm also really concerned about giving Krackenor another night of life. Vampires in ToS can only convert someone every second night.

• I actually don't know if you are mafia, you seem really suspicious though and I'm not sure you are town.  Maybe it's because you're a bit mean and condescending that I find you suspicious, so I could be overthinking it.  If he doesn't answer, that's fine, I just thought he might and clear it up because all the 'flavour text' stuff is his area.  

• Only to you. Honestly, one reason I'm considering you part of the mafia is because I'm having a hard time believing you're actually as sensitive and offended as you're acting and think you're obfuscating and misdirecting.
  • Lol, I like that you admit you're mean and condescending to me and then on the other hand say I'm faking being offended.  I mean sure, you've been a bit aggressive to Lavinya and myself, but I've probably been oversensitive too.  I guess having to defend yourself all the time helps with that, dealing with the 'I've literally told you this...' and 'I'll let you answer this yourself' and your attitude doesn't help but I know that's me being oversensitive and now I'm starting to understand how Lavinya felt, haha.

I can understand you 'considering' that I'm mafia, a lot of people have died already and there is 3 (possibly 2) mafia left so it has to be somebody.  I'm definitely a great scape goat because, yeah, town can probably risk making a mistake now and they'll find out you're guilty if I die.  I can only assume that's why you're not voting for me right now.  I'd say there's obviously more town then scum, but I also can't help but wonder if there's also other miscellaneous roles that don't side with either/or and that's kind of where I'm putting you right now.

I'm not purposely misdirecting, I'm just having to defend myself a lot.  I'm happy to answer any questions (in fact since I claimed I've told everyone freely what I have done each night) but I've gotten to the point now where I don't have time to comb through previous posts to remind myself of what people have said- so if I make a mistake or answer something incorrectly, again, I'm sorry. 
  • Ellowyn said:
    And my character is someone from the theatre and I could swap any two characters to change the story, etc.

A couple of things are wrong with that, although it is more or less exactly what I thought you'd say:

First, why would anyone listen to a theatre director when they're not actors in a play?

Second, and (in my mind) far more important, is that Siobhan Azdak is a theatre writer for a newspaper. He's not actually a director at all. Just some guy who writes for a newspaper.

And that is why I don't buy your claim. It makes no sense for someone who is, essentially, a journalist to be able to swap people around.
  • I honestly can't tell you, I don't know much about Night Vale.  I just assumed it was kind of like 'all you people are my toys' and I can swap whatever characters I want and change the story.  Maybe if that's what you thought I'd say, is because it kind of makes sense?   Siobhan is a writer, so I'm like writing my own plot twists and I'm actually finding the role fun because it's a bit chaotic.  That's why I claimed so late, because I didn't want mafia to know who I've swapped so if someone was investigated and deemed guilty, I'd be able to pick out the lies.  This game makes you paranoid and the theme - Night Vale - doesn't make sense which makes it hilarious and great to listen to, I guess.

Anyway, I've told you who I was and what my powers are and it's up to you guys to believe it or not, so if you need to lynch me I can understand.  If I get lynched tonight, all I can offer is the following advice and that is to take a good look at Sylandra, if you can, Silvanus.  I'd still like to know what she did last night (as it will go through tonight, so you guys should be prepared if she isn't town).  Mind control isn't a very 'pro town' power in my experience.  On ToS it reminds me of the witch role and they have the same power, so just be careful.  Maybe Falmiis knows more then he is letting on and is why he is suspicious of her.

Celina is suspicious as well- and if you don't investigate Sylandra I at least suggest Celina next.  Or if not, ask her to aeon someone you think is suspicious?

Again, look at Krackenor guys, he's obviously suspicious and has been for a while.  Also Ssaliss hanging out in jail every night instead of trying to jail potential mafia.  Why not jail Kira/Celina at the very least?  He's said he's done this 'before' but it still seems very.. weird to me.

• Because me jailing people means that they can't act, nor can they be acted upon. For instance, if I would have jailed Celina last night, then Silvanus couldn't have investigated her. Because of this, I can actually deprive town of information were I to jail the mafia. Further, had I jailed Cyna (who I thought was suspicious), then Melali wouldn't have been able to kill her.

Suffice it to say, jailing is an extremely double-edged sword, and for that reason, I prefer not to use it.
  • Although being a jailor in ToS is actually quite handy because if you jail a mafia member (godfather or mafioso) or even SK, then if there are no kills the next morning, chances are it's the one you've locked up.  Sometimes as jailor I might jail people 2 nights to make sure, but granted this type of game is much, much, muuuuch slower than ToS.

Fair point on jailing Celina, which would essentially block Silvanus from investigating.  Why not jail someone you think is innocent though to keep them safe?  Someone who has a good power that would be great for town.  I know you'll probably say 'oh but I'm innocent', but if your only power is saving yourself at night you're not on the top of the list of useful town powers.  Unless, of course, you have more powers and haven't told us, or you did and I forgot it.

Anyway, I was just telling town to be wary of a few of you.  I'm definitely not saying anyone is mafia/bad, I can only cast suspicion because I don't know for sure, I can only ask questions.
  • If you're concerned about ssaliss' actions, you're able to direct them elsewhere
  • Hm? What do you mean?
  • Well... if I jail someone with useful powers for town, then they wouldn't be able to use those useful powers? Also, if you jail someone and no one dies, then it could either be that you jailed the mafia, or that you jailed the person targetted by the mafia. Also on the list of possibilities: You could jail the doctor who was going to save the person targetted by the mafia, or you could jail the cop who was going to investigate the mafia, or you could stop the cop from investigating the mafia by jailing them, etc etc etc. That's why I generally don't jail.
  • Ellowyn said:
    Hm? What do you mean?
    Well, you _did_ claim to be a busdriver...
  • You mean transport him with someone else? What would that do? Potentially get him killed? If he is the jailor I don't want to do that. I just want to be sure, he raises some good points for not jailing someone.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Ellowyn, Silvanus had a one time investigative ability. Due to your bus driving shenanigans it was wasted. And I've told you 3 times what happened to me last night, which is I've been aeon'd.

The point everyone is making is that bus driver is a potent power. In the hands of town you could hypothetically make scum kill each other. You could also have forced Falmiis to block the person you wanted him to block last night, or at least tried to, by following your hunch and swapping me and that individual. You could also force Ssaliss to jail by swapping him with anyone.

I'll be honest: I don't think Krackenor is mafia. Haven't believed it since so many people bandwagon'd him early on. If anything he's a solo cultist in my mind. So I'm going to go ahead and Vote Cyndarin
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    I also think if Kira had a swapping ability, it makes perfect sense she used it on Rolsand the nightphase before last. She trusts her hunches, and she had a hunch Rolsand was SK. I'm just surprised she didn't push for it; more likely, he was the planned mafia kill, until the intrepid townies took him to task.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Sorry Cyn...Vote Cyndarin
  • Oh, Krackenor, could you confirm/deny a suspicion of mine? Do you need to execute someone before you use your lichseed?
  • Oh, and I just realised something...

Vote count on Celina: Silvanus, Ushaara, Ssaliss, Krackenor.

@Ieptix, @Silvanus called on this power early during day three, after he was aeoned, but he never got an activation on it. Does that mean it's active today instead?
    Silvanus said:
    Now that we have confirmed Lusternians, and Krackenor mentioned sacrifice to Gorgulu and executed Lavinya, I may say this may be part of his actual role, and Aeon may be one of his abilities.

Which is weird to aeon me with the claims that I made.

I'm going to go ahead and DoubleVote Krackenor

I think what we have here are multiple Lusternians have ended up in Night Vale and are going to attempt to fight for control of our village in their typical ways like a normal revolt, and Ayisdra was the member of Glomdoring faction. I am going to guess Krackenor is the Magnagora faction.

If not, I'm going to Unvote to put us out of ninja-lynch territory, awaiting @Cyndarin in case she has anything to say. Otherwise... yeah, end of day I guess?
    I voted Celina too!
    Daraius said:
  • And once more, with a bolder spirit!

Unvote
    Wait it was at 5 votes you can't Unvote.
    Daraius said: