Reign - The Mafia Game Thread - English Mafia Win!

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    vote:Chirbo
    he's trying awful damn hard to encourage people to kill each other while standing off to the side.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    That sounds like a survivor claim, which is something that is nearly always suspect for me to begin with.
  • Hmm. I'm honestly starting to have doubts about the English/French schism, and it might be the Catholic/Protestant schism that is the main one. After all, the main conflict seems to be between Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots (also catholic), and Elizabeth Tudor (also protestant).

In addition, this would open up the floor for more deviousness, such as an arson or a serial killer.

As for the whole voting, well, I did get a couple of inklings that I'm about to look up on.
  • In unrelated news I'm eating some awesome peppers while reading this thread. They're so hot :(

Also you will regret your hasty lynching when you realize what you've done.

My reason for wanting to vote for tekky is because she was acting suspicious AF :I
  • Oh, by the way, @Tekora: Why do you find your scenario one so unlikely? Wouldn't it be just as likely that the scum targetted the person guarded by a doctor (I think we can assume there is one in a game of this size) as them targetting someone who is jailed? I understand why Silvanus' explanation is perhaps more farfetched, since it'd mean that both you and the scum were blocked by a doctor and a jailer, but why are you so certain that they targetted you instead of anyone else?
  • And of course I'm encouraging to kill, we have non-Catholic people killing us in the night. We need to sort this out Shaddus :(
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    edited January 2016
    Current Vote Count Update:

Silvanus - Tekora (1)

Lavinya - Celina (1)

Chirbo - Luce, Shaddus (2)

Yarith - Falmiis (1)

None - Lavinya (1)

Tekora is currently unlynchable for the rest of the dayphase, by Ushaara's official decree.

It takes the word of 9 nobles to sentence a member of the court to death in France.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • VOTE Luce

Don't be stirring up trouble
  • Luce has been pretty well reasoned and level-headed throughout all of this giving reasons for his actions, while also encouraging people to kill.

As opposed to you, who've mostly posted briefly but jumped on people for doing what you claim you're doing.

Vote: Chirbo
  • Unvote
    Vote Chirbo

An OMGUS vote if I ever saw one.
  • Okay, so my recheck made me reconsider my previous target. I'm now considering four people as somewhat-certainly town (names withheld so far). I'm still not certain about Tekora; while Princess Claude is most likely his actual role, in the show wiki Claude is described as "a glorious troublemaker, and primarily sees other women as competition and delights in destroying the stability of women's lives", with a rather serious grudge against Queen Catherine. Thus, I'm not going to believe she is friendly to us just based on Tekora's words alone; she is probably both Catholic and French, but I'm not so certain about her other loyalties.
  • Vote: Chirbo

Your posting is really evasive. The moment you got any pressure on you, you started posting a ton but have not actually said anything to defend yourself or bring anything worthwhile. You feel like nervous scum. 
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    That's five for Chirbo.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Would you care for a pepper, Luce?
  • Hmm that's supposed to be like, not care.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Without missing a beat, Chirbo cheerfully shoves a small red object into Luce's mouth. Startled and apparently disgusted, Luce swallows it whole against his will, finding to his horror that his tongue has now swollen to a worrying degree.

Luce will not be able to vote for the rest of the dayphase.

The vote count required for a lynch has lowered to 8 accordingly.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Okay, I've had some more time to look at things right now and I know you're not supposed to take the lord's name in vain but... Good Lord with all that has happened while I was asleep/travelling. So many words, so much misdirection and unanswered questions. I've been trying to parse everything that's been said, but honestly, it's hard with all the accusations thrown back and forth.

What I've noted is that both Lavinya and Tekora claim to be jailed. But where Tekora is basing it off shoddy probability calculations to argue why she was jailed, Lavinya apparently knows it certainly enough to call Tekora out on that it didn't happen. If Tekora hadn't claimed roleblocker, I would've suspected her of being some sort of investigative role.

I don't doubt that something happened to Tekora. Sylandra's comment all but confirmed that.

There are two common roles that stop someone from acting at night. Roleblocker and Jailer. However if we assume that both Lavinya and Tekora are speaking the truth, then we've got three individuals who can block actions. Tekora, whomever blocked Tekora, and whomever jailed Lavinya. So either we've got double roles, a rolestopper, or one of them is lying.

Regarding scumminess, Tekora hits every Jesterpoint on my list. Flakey behaviour, a constant barrage of poor attempts at defelcting attention, and overly claim-pushing behaviour. That, and trying to deflect investigation away from looking for scum in favour of secondary scum groups. The fact that she was whining about people not sharing information when most people hadn't even checked in after the night feels really off. I... am more inclined to believe that she's third party than anything else. Either that, or she's trying to get into her role. I'm honestly leaning a bit towards that, now that I think about it. I've talked to Tekora. She is capable of talking and arguing without being an infuratingly arrogant jackass.

Lavinya... honestly. We've only got her words to go on that she was jailed. But putting herself up in opposition to Tekora like this. If we were to lynch Tekora based on Lavinya's testimony and Tekora turns up town it makes her look suspect. And unless she's got some sort of investigation protection, she can't afford herself that luxury. Not this early in the game. I'm inclined to believe that what she's saying is true.

If anything, I'm looking at Ushaara. The spiel between him and Tekora seems staged. Tekora was not that far into being lynched, and at that point several people have spoken out, some even indicating that they weren't inclined to vote for Tekora. So why did Ushaara want to use the power? To me, it felt like a ploy to coax out more information on who Tekora is and what role she's playing. Ushaara was also not under any pressure, so there was no real need to reveal that he's the governor. The only reason I can see was that he wanted to show that he's the governor. In which case he could've shown it during the first day, to help push the discussion forward. It makes me wonder if something changed. So.

I think there's a cult, and Ushaara was recruited to the cult last night.

This is a court conflict that involves religion. Even ignoring the lack of brutal murders thus far, I find it highly probable that there is a cult here. Of course, this doesn't tell me who the cult leader is. I'll go through things once more, see if I've missed something.

Regarding Chirbo, I think that's just Chirbo being Chirbo. Which is honestly a plenty good reason to lynch him all things considered, but I'm not sure that he's scum.

#EditNotReallyEdit. Noticed Chirbo using a vote nullifying power on Luce. If you're gonna go that far, you may as well tell us who you are.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I was curious, and googled "Reign pepper" and the top hit was the wiki page for Aloysius Castleroy, the bio information under his picture says he's a protestant converted from catholicism.

So my vote's gonna stay on Chirbo for the time being.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Ok, so that is a bit strange and a lot to take in. Kira basically echoes my statement or theory, and when I get home from work I'll be able to expand. But I wanted to say that Queen Catherine and her daughters are the odd ones out historically. House de Medici is an Italian house very much on the outside in French politics, and Catherine herself is the second woman in The Kings life, his mistress Diane de Poiters rules the court.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • I was curious, and googled "Reign pepper" and the top hit was the wiki page for Aloysius Castleroy, the bio information under his picture says he's a protestant converted from catholicism.

So my vote's gonna stay on Chirbo for the time being.
    Yeah. It's why I'm asking for Chirbo to spill who he is. I was already guessing that he might be Aloysius from the same google search.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I assure you that a protestant killer would not have that power. Would that even make sense?
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Chirbo said:
    I assure you that a protestant killer would not have that power. Would that even make sense?

Yes it would. But you've also been acting strange that it seems like it is an obvious scum. Can you give any reasoning for using it on Luce? He hasn't really appeared scummy at all and mostly inquisitional.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • Uh... yes? A power that helps prevent a lynch would definitely make sense for someone whose main concern is lynching.
  • Balance-wise why would one of the mafia be given that power? Also OMGUS is my reasoning for using it, he wasted his vote on me
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here

I could pass this off as you just being weird, but you are being difficult and reactionary which is coming off really defensive.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Honestly, the only reason I'm not voting for him is because he is too weird. It's almost as if he wants us to vote for him.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    With Sylandra having said that alliances and laws of succession will have an impact on powers, I do not think that we are dealing with a cult, as balance wise it would be very tricky.

But we know that we have at least three main factions, French (town), Scottish (allied with town, but potentially having their own win condition), English (mafia), and then potentially outsiders. The only scenario I can see with some cult justification is if the Scottish alliance with France falls through the Dauphin dying. Then Mary and the other Scots win by outnumbering the remaining French/English, and in which case Mary herself would likely become the cult leader.

I've explained why I used my power above, and can't say much more to make you believe me. But once more, it's an awkward power that doesn't really help town who are reliant on lynches to win. I was not going to use it on Day 1, and it was only the fact that no one died in Night 1 that we had a scenario where I could use it to extract information from an aggressive player who was looking like a lunatic, without scuppering town's chances.

As for where I am now, like Ssaliss I can believe Tekora is who he says, but some questions still surround his allegiance. I'm not sure if you @Kiradawea are simply overthinking things, or trying to sow confusion through non-committal talk of Jesters/cults etc.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Some really convoluted trains of logic I'm having a violent reaction to. Fundamentally Tekora's behavior makes no sense as a jester/scum. It's simply too obvious, so obvious that it borders on absurdity, which is what I cannot get past. If a jester outs themselves this early in the game, they will simply get eliminated (vigilante killed, self implosion, etc). Should we follow the Lynch Tekora line of reasoning, we inevitably arrive at one of two conclusions. One, it was a mistake and he's town or two, surprise jester and gets eliminated really early in the game. 

Kiradawea's line of reasoning comes across as severely over worked, which is a common trend in mafia games. To over analyze personal motivations and take them to extreme conclusions, because inevitably someone is actually trying to kill us all. In a way it's starting with the conclusion that is atypical in usual scenarios outside of mafia games, and trying to find out who is behaving in a manner that arrives at that conclusion. Theorhetically if we did not know we were all targeted for death, would we draw the conclusion that Usharaa is trying to kill us? I don't believe so. 

To conclude that Ushaara has been recruited by the cult based on 1) the belief that he's staging his conversation, 2) a cult exists, 3) the cult recruited him. Possible? Absolutely, but reasonable to believe based on the limited knowledge we have? I don't think so. The theory is based entirely on the belief that the conversation appears staged, without that, which is pure conjecture, the rest becomes nonsensical. 

When it comes to these, I tend to trust intuition before easily fallible analyses of personal motivations based on very limited information and a lot of assumptions. At this point, I am much more drawn to people who behave irrationally as a reaction than those who behave irrationally to prompt those reactions. 
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Which is why I'm okay with lynching the following: 

Luce, Synkarin, Lavinya.

Possibly Chirbo because he's intentionally being cray cray and that usually ends poorly. 
  • Synkarin said:

I could pass this off as you just being weird, but you are being difficult and reactionary which is coming off really defensive.
    I don't want to die :(