Tweets VII: Tweet Child of Mine

Comments

• XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited August 2016
    Yarith said:

Right. It's demonstratively false. Does that mean the statement internal to itself is? No. Why do you have to make an argument out of everything?
    Edit: Remind me to take a course in semantics.

I have to make an argument out of something that is just... wrong. Yes, the statement internal to itself is false because it absolutely matters how long it takes to do something in a multiplayer game. Period. If I can do it in 7 minutes I am far more likely to succeed than if it takes four hours to complete. The only way to make the statement true is to excise it from all context, stick it in a stasis chamber, prevent anyone else from joining who could possibly take umbrage, and THEN it does not matter how long it takes... except that the person doing the four hour job is more likely to get bored and stop than the seven minute person. So, hey, I guess it still matters after all. :P
  • Vivet said:

Dylara said:

Here's a tweet. Seemingly I can't post something that is benign and really only effects me at the time without it turning into something like this.

This is one of those ways you know you've succeeded at Lusternia.
    B-)

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• I'm helping Dylara get set up with a script I use for maintaining totems, hoping it makes maintaining totems less of chore for her and the BT likes it's done for me. <o<
  • As long as the passive 2000+ daily power gain from totems is removed, too, I have no problems with making them easier to maintain.
    See you in Sapience.
  • MaligornMaligorn Windborne
    edited August 2016
    Shaddus said:

Yarith said:

You guys have itchy trigger fingers.
    I easily go through 3-4 hours of no people around who'd stop me pulling down statues during the week.

We get the fact that you have plenty of time to sit around and grief others while we have jobs and actually have a life outside Lusternia, but I'm pretty sure we shouldn't base "what's fair" on that, thanks.
    Haha, Yarith as a griefer.

EDIT: Haha, Yarith as someone without a RL occupation.

• Twytch said:

As long as the passive 2000+ daily power gain from totems is removed, too, I have no problems with making them easier to maintain.

I think of it as upkeep for putting out forest fires.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited August 2016
    Twytch said:

As long as the passive 2000+ daily power gain from totems is removed, too, I have no problems with making them easier to maintain.

I've got no problem with that so long as ethereal gets 30+ mobs that drop essence. Especially if they're split in two like Celest, with the path to half the mobs hidden behind a nexus object that's able to have guards posted.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Twytch is ever the bastion of fairness and insight. Thank you for all you do (or don't do).
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited August 2016
    There is clearly no administrative appetite to fix what has been an issue for a great many years, even with fairly broad player consensus as to the specifics of the problem and the broad strokes of a solution.

Basically, it's a waste of breath. Many players (some of whom have already weighed in just now) have spent hours and hours thinking and discussing the problems, with no success in getting changes. Recently, there was a good compromise put in an envoy report, the response to which was the ironbark bandaid that further breaks/trivializes the mechanics and sidesteps addressing the fundamental problems directly.
    edited August 2016
    Report 1374 for the latest public envoy discussion (I think) on the subject. There might have been a forums thread then, as well.

EDIT: Note that the solutions were changed somewhat before the final submission, so some early comments refer to older details.
    edited August 2016
    Shaddus said:

Twytch said:

I've got no problem with that so long as ethereal gets 30+ mobs that drop essence. Especially if they're split in two like Celest, with the path to half the mobs hidden behind a nexus object that's able to have guards posted.
    Don't think Celest is actually allowed to post guards on the pool on Water, for this reason. I might be mistaken, but I don't think I've ever actually spotted guards there.
  • edited August 2016
    It's dumb how celest puts them at the entrance of their city.
    Enyalida said:

Shaddus said:

Twytch said:

Don't think Celest is actually allowed to post guards on the pool on Water, for this reason. I might be mistaken, but I don't think I've ever actually spotted guards there.
    They've been there before, but it's been a while. I don't understand why the whirlpool in the Sea doesn't just empty right into the lake and vice versa.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Rolsand said:

....what
    It's actually one of the massive defensive benefits of being one of the cities, which is part of what makes totems raiding sting so much. The cities have greatly restricted entry zones, as few as 2 rooms that can serve as chokepoints to place guards. These guards can still be pretty easily bypassed by effects that nullify guards, but it makes it much harder for a kick-and-run raider to have unimpeded access to the prime territory. Contrast that with a commune's great many exits, too many to realistically place guards at all of them (or indeed, to have even a single totem near each).
  • Shaddus said:

Rolsand said:

....what
    Heh my comment was off topic.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Celest has three (North, south, harbor), Mag has four (North, South, Harbor, Blasted Lands), Hallifax has three (stairs, mountain, elevator), and Gaudi has...Uh, two?, but I think the chokepoint for the north one is technically far enough inside the city that you could be 'in the city' per scent and not have dealt with them yet. Also, I now have the mental image of a bunch of Kephera and merians with little swim floaties and innertubes and snorkels looking all stern and standing (swimming?) attention in the harbor entrance.

Meanwhile, the forests have at least 3-4 highway entrances each and all of the mountain entrances and river entrances, plus the seaside entrance to Seren...It's probably easier to just declare one of the villages the new nexus and post guards there. >.>
  • Pretty sure both forests have more than four highway entrances, but yes I do have a giggle imagining that. :))

Avurekhos says, "Dylara's a PvP menace in my eyes, totes rekting face."

The eye of Dylara materialises in your hands and flings itself around your neck, tightening incomprehensibly until it is irremovable.
    Perfectly clean, this eyeball has been wrenched from the socket of Dylara. It has been animated by some unusual force, constantly looking around itself as if in shock or fear. It is bathed in a light covering of white flames that roll endlessly over its surface. A single chain of empyreal metal pierces either side of the eye, allowing it to be worn around the neck.

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Shaddus said:

Enyalida said:

Shaddus said:

Twytch said:

They've been there before, but it's been a while. I don't understand why the whirlpool in the Sea doesn't just empty right into the lake and vice-versa.
    It's because what use are those guards in a raid on water lords? If someone without their orgbix/a cubix wants to leave, and you want to kill them, you can just wait in the outer part until they enter off-balance and do it then. Only people getting essence and Celestians have reason to go through that bit, so might as well let them.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Ileein said:

Elevator probably isn't the most efficient assault corridor, so Hallifax practically has two. Though the image of a small army of warriors, armed to the teeth and bristling with hostile magics, standing around awkwardly in the elevator not making eye contact is even better.

Can...can we petition to have recordings of popular orchestra performances redone as ensemble pieces with a different key and played in that elevator? Because that's the only thing that image is missing.
  • Shaddus said:

Twytch said:

Also, another 30 that we're able to influence in order to gain power, to mimic the cosmic beings.
    That's the fae, kinda. Of course now, not only can they be stolen or easily killed, a quest can happen that makes them worth half as much power.
  • If I'm remembering my commune days correctly, Serenwilde and Glomdoring have a sort-of equivalent source of power a la Elemental/Cosmic:

1) influence fae in Faethorn (30 fae in total),

which generate the mobs that spawn in the respective Ethereal forests (not the Daughters/Ladies, but the hawks/opossums/centipedes/etc.)

2) kill these mobs for silver/shadow essence.

Granted, it can be a bit more cumbersome than the Elemental/Cosmic version (especially since even the Ethereal essence mobs spawn at a lower rate than the Elemental essence mobs, plus you have to influence the fae to even spawn them in the first place). And there's the fact that the 30 Faethorn fae competed for by both communes. But the equivalent versions do exist; it can certainly be petitioned to be improved if totem power is removed.

Of course, this has all been re-hashed again and again over the past 10+ years of Lusternia. Nothing much has changed, and probably nothing much will. So enjoy the passive 2k power per day and endure the admittedly painstaking task of carving trees!
    See you in Sapience.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Re: Mafia.

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Totem power generation has always been, at its worst, a deliberate distraction, or at best, an overblown non argument. Power serves one job, and one job only. The creation of VAs, and VAs simply have a very marginal impact on the game. They expedite claims that are largely uncontested. They have some useful powers that are beneficial to the TA, but often have little to no impact on actually contests of value. The value of a VA is in its sparkle more than its mechanical benefits.

Beyond that, every organization generates more than enough power to support its members power needs.

Constantly harping (through a transparent veil of bull****) on cutting off totem power generation, when there's been virtually unanimous consent okaying that removal should it come up is just trying to poke the forests (or a specific forest) in the eye to get a reaction. Similar to dropping meteors when no one is around or, an event I am selecting entirely at random, chopping elders when no one is around. Stop. No one cares.
  • Enyalida said:

That's the fae, kinda. Of course now, not only can they be stolen or easily killed, a quest can happen that makes them worth half as much power.

What quest is this? And more importantly, does it give you an honours? :D
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
This discussion has been closed.