Simple Ideas

Comments

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Elanorwen said:
    Ushaara said:
    Three entrances, all different.
    Never mind having sprint and running through a guard stack at one of those three entrances, too.
    Which is an easily solved problem.....

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Awws.
  • New command: SHOPS. Shows you information about the shops you own (taxes owed, stock in the stockroom, perhaps more).
  • Ssaliss said:
    New command: SHOPS. Shows you information about the shops you own (taxes owed, stock in the stockroom, perhaps more).
    So much this!
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • edited July 2014
    In libraries, we have alot of books and to see each one, we have to first type BROWSE ALL then afterwards BROWSE ALL <ID number of last scroll in list>, to see the next list. Could we simply make it BROWSE MORE? Makes it easier to quickly go through the listing and skim over books of interest.

Additionally, could we add a command LIBRARY/BOOKSHELF READ <book ID> that allows us to simply read a book listed in the bookshelf without having to check it out? Would make for quicker and cleaner way to review through several books.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    It was like that until fairly recently. Changed because it was causing lag problems, I think.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • Different idea on the side.

Could we get a News command of NEWSEARCH or SEARCHNEWS <section> <keyword> that will list all posts in that board with the keyword we have written? This would make it easier for players to find old posts about events and topics and to read up on what happened, as well as finding any archived information for others.
  • There'd be a difference between using MORE and BROWSE MORE though, most likely. BROWSE MORE could simply be a shortcut to do BROWSE ALL <ID of last book in list>, while MORE would likely need to check it all and store it before displaying it bit by bit.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Oh, huh. If it works like that, then yeah, that would be great.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Arcanis said:
    Different idea on the side.

Could we get a News command of NEWSEARCH or SEARCHNEWS <section> <keyword> that will list all posts in that board with the keyword we have written? This would make it easier for players to find old posts about events and topics and to read up on what happened, as well as finding any archived information for others.
    I have a feeling this would be a massive lag producer.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Arcanis said:

This idea was brought up to Iosai, she specifically shot it down for the same reason we made changes to the BROWSE system.  We have far less books to look over than we do words in newsposts and the old BROWSE could lag things. She said it was just not feasible to search that many. If we dug around and used an API for news, we could theoretically make a system outside the game, though would like to see the change list added to that.
  • Malarious said:
    Arcanis said:

This idea was brought up to Iosai, she specifically shot it down for the same reason we made changes to the BROWSE system.  We have far less books to look over than we do words in newsposts and the old BROWSE could lag things. She said it was just not feasible to search that many. If we dug around and used an API for news, we could theoretically make a system outside the game, though would like to see the change list added to that.
    I have actually been thinking about doing something like that. I already have all the newsposts (or rather, most of them; there's a bug that causes some newsposts to not work with that API), so I might start working on it next week when my current contract at work runs out.
  • DysDys
    edited July 2014
    There was a system in the scripts section on the IRE site that saved news. I think it was for Achaea and MUSHclient.

http://www.ironrealms.com/mud-scripts/personal-news-database
  • From a conversation with Svorai:

That's what makes a crow.
    False Memory, and shit.
    Crows shit.
    Why is that not a skill?
    "Droppings."
    Blind an enemy, or stink, or something.
    Or random target below whilst flying overhead.
    Targetable while perched.
    Best idea 2014.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    edited July 2014
    Can we pretty please not have to learn ALL skills while classflexed from a guild member? For instance, I know I couldn't learn forging from Fraesic while I was classflexed into Sentinel. I'd like to learn brewmeister to try out brewmeister dwarf bard, but I'm also willing to bet that low magic and alchemy/brewmeister both will require me to learn from a guild member of that guild. Generally, only the unique guild skills should have that as a requirement. Like Loralaria for Symphonium, Harmonics for Institute, etc. The rest should be teachable by city/guild tutors and even members of other guilds that have access to the same skillsets.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • For kata users, can we have the ability to copy between one momentum and another within a form? Say we have a form with some basic attack and a speed modifier on momentum one, allow me to copy that to momentum 2 and so on to quickly fill up the form.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
  • If you want to use an identical attack, there's no need to copy. If a momentum is undefined, it uses the highest momentum that is below it.
  • edited July 2014
    Part of me wishes people could order a Beast to utilize a skill it has learned (through beastmastery) without the person having gained the ability themselves. I understand that the concept behind it is that the person gains the skill in beastmastery and thus can use and teach his beast, but truth be told alot of us are spending their already limited/slowly-accumulated lessons on other more important skills. Also we are able to trade beasts, so it would make sense if a trainer could teach a beast and grow it to a buyer's specifications, and then the buyer simply takes it and utilizes the abilities. This could definitely boost trainer's relevance.

Abilities that I think should not be accessed unless the person has the skills are:

Healing
    Majorbreath
    Kicking
    Curing
    poisons
    spellcasting

Arcanis said:
    Part of me wishes people could order a Beast to utilize a skill it has learned (through beastmastery) without the person having gained the ability themselves. I understand that the concept behind it is that the person gains the skill in beastmastery and thus can use and teach his beast, but truth be told alot of us are spending their already limited/slowly-accumulated lessons on other more important skills. Also we are able to trade beasts, so it would make sense if a trainer could teach a beast and grow it to a buyer's specifications, and then the buyer simply takes it and utilizes the abilities. This could definitely boost trainer's relevance.

Abilities that I think should not be accessed unless the person has the skills are:

Healing
    Majorbreath
    Kicking
    Curing
    poisons
    spellcasting

Sorry, but no. The reason behind it is quite simple... why would people learn beastmastery if they could use 90% of it without needing to have learned it? And how would the people that actually transed it feel about that particular situation? This isn't real life where you can have beast trainers who will do all the training and then just tell you what commands to use. Never mind that this isn't real life where learning how to teach a beast takes ages. All it takes is 15 minutes and the 1715 lessons to trans beastmastery.

As to the argument that a lot of 'you' are spending their lessons on other, more important skills? Well, sorry, but tough. What about the 'us' that are omni-trans and are gaining the benefit of 5 skills while having spent almost 300 credits worth of lessons to learn the skillset with your idea?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    As much as I could make a killing selling beasts that have fly, battle, aggression, bodyguard and various influencing traits for PvE levelling.

No.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I was wondering if it was okay if we got the standard text box format for ads. Or is there an advantage to the way they are now?

• Rivius said:
    I was wondering if it was okay if we got the standard text box format for ads. Or is there an advantage to the way they are now?
    I'd love that too. I can't see any advantage of having a single line of text input and a (rather) limited amount of text in an ad.
  • edited July 2014
    Elanorwen said:
    Arcanis said:

Healing
    Majorbreath
    Kicking
    Curing
    poisons
    spellcasting

Sorry, but no. The reason behind it is quite simple... why would people learn beastmastery if they could use 90% of it without needing to have learned it? And how would the people that actually transed it feel about that particular situation? This isn't real life where you can have beast trainers who will do all the training and then just tell you what commands to use. Never mind that this isn't real life where learning how to teach a beast takes ages. All it takes is 15 minutes and the 1715 lessons to trans beastmastery.

As to the argument that a lot of 'you' are spending their lessons on other, more important skills? Well, sorry, but tough. What about the 'us' that are omni-trans and are gaining the benefit of 5 skills while having spent almost 300 credits worth of lessons to learn the skillset with your idea?
    Frankly, in such a situation, no one would have ordered nor told you to spend your lessons in that skill. If you wish to throw lessons at skills to become 'omni-trans' than good for you, enjoy the increased look of strength in your honors, but frankly we arent all hoarding masses of credits and leisurely putting it in skills. A skill like beastmastery is to train and algamate beasts to have certain qualities, and has always had the underlining trait of trading off and selling beasts to others. If one wishes to make a business out of it to simply assist smaller players, than why should they suffer simply because you wish to be "omni-trans with a purpose". Again, omni-trans is -not- a requirement, it is a choice, no one told you that you need to be omni-trans to have fun..

There are far better and more useful skills to spend lessons on, including but not restricted to:

Lowmagic/Highmagic
    Planar
    Discipline
    Discernment

Utility skills should never -ever- feel like a "forced' skill to learn just to be on equal basis in the game.

Edit: Also please remember that if you have a skill that shares a lessonpool with another skill (such as beastmastery magnetism), then the more lessons spent in that pool, the more effective damage sources from skills in that pool will be. That could be a purpose for 'omni-transing everythang' I suppose.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    edited July 2014
    This is a silly argument.

Beast's aren't a requirement either, so why should we change beastmastery? If you want to have a beast (and be able to use it) then learn Beastmastery, otherwise, don't and don't use a beast. There's nothing stopping you there, It's a choice, no one told you that you need a beast to have fun. Smaller players have done just fine without having a beast until now, I'm sure they'll be fine for quite some time after today as well.

Edit:
     It's looking more and more to me like you just want access to all sorts of skills but don't have the lessons or don't want to spend anything to get them....

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Arcanis said:
    Frankly, in such a situation, no one would have ordered nor told you to spend your lessons in that skill. If you wish to throw lessons at skills to become 'omni-trans' than good for you, enjoy the increased look of strength in your honors, but frankly we arent all hoarding masses of credits and leisurely putting it in skills. A skill like beastmastery is to train and algamate beasts to have certain qualities, and has always had the underlining trait of trading off and selling beasts to others. If one wishes to make a business out of it to simply assist smaller players, than why should they suffer simply because you wish to be "omni-trans with a purpose". Again, omni-trans is -not- a requirement, it is a choice, no one told you that you need to be omni-trans to have fun..

There are far better and more useful skills to spend lessons on, including but not restricted to:

Lowmagic/Highmagic
    Planar
    Discipline
    Discernment

Utility skills should never -ever- feel like a "forced' skill to learn just to be on equal basis in the game.

Edit: Also please remember that if you have a skill that shares a lessonpool with another skill (such as beastmastery magnetism), then the more lessons spent in that pool, the more effective damage sources from skills in that pool will be. That could be a purpose for 'omni-transing everythang' I suppose.
    The main place where beastmastery might feel forced is Cavalier as they require a mount and even then, you don't have to trans it. Any other guild can and will do just fine without a beast at all. The only guilds that can actually use something out of beastmastery without having learned it are druids/mages where the guild-specific innate works without the corresponding skill in beastmastery. (Though not without the corresponding skill in Druidry/Whatever-mancy)

That said... no clue why you feel that you needed to bring up damage skills in the Magnetism pool being made stronger by beastmastery (Hint: There aren't any)

• DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    It would be neat (and helpful?) if unopened action origamis wiggled in your inventory a bit every now and then. Just in case you miss the delivery, you know...

Also, I want to revive the suggestion of an enchantment for stamps that alerts the owner when the letter is read, but it occurs to me now that this might be more complicated than initially expected, since org stamps can be used by several people, and letters aren't the only thing that can be stamped. Hmm.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • Elanorwen said:
    That said... no clue why you feel that you needed to bring up damage skills in the Magnetism pool being made stronger by beastmastery (Hint: There aren't any)
    Lies!
    >ab beastmastery minorbreath

Is also the Shintar.
    edited August 2014
    Nayl said:
    Elanorwen said:
    Lies!
    >ab beastmastery minorbreath

You mean something in the same skillset that you're supposed to be transing to improve the damage on 'other' magnetism skills? That's like saying... oh hey, you know, if you trans geomancy, you will be doing more damage with staff!

Anyways, to change the topic a bit... low magic can be learned from a city tutor even when classflexed, which I guess is good. That only leaves trade skills that require the guild in question, which really shouldn't be the case.

EDIT: Considering the amount of trade skills available and the amount of members in a guild, chances are finding one that knows the trade skill a flexer might be interested in learning (And that they'll be GR3+) are not necessarily terribly high. On that note, help me, Obi - @Talan - nobi, you're my only hope. :D