Simple Ideas

Comments

• edited March 2015
    @Lerad

This part of the thread started with a huge assumption. That you need a GA, sec or undersec to advance people out of novicehood. Remember you still have GMs [edit: Champions] and and those in a covenant.

The problem with making all GR19 have these abilities is it doesn't necessarily fix the problem as some guilds will just say you can't use the ability without permission and face it there are people who are GR19 because they were crap leaders who you might not want within a mile of a novice.

My suggestion:

Appointments: I've been mulling around that though I can be around at almost any time, that I might not bother logging in at times I am doing something else. I also have dozens of appointments a month that means even if I am normally around at a certain time I might not be.

It really can be a pain to catch up with certain people. Even when you can catch up with them it can take more effort to figure out when they'll be around.

Syntax:  APPOINTMENT REQUESTED WITH STEINGRIM AVAILABILITY GMT|LOCAL12:00PM TO 4:00PM <DAY|WEEKDAYS|WEEKEND> FOR <reason>>

The system would convert to game time. and APPOINTMENTS command could be added, but suggest it also displays under DATE and you get a reminder when loggin on and when the day changes (You have x|no appointments for today.)

As to the novice issue, if some dev had the time to spend a bit more effort we could have a more form based appointment system.

SYNTAX:

APPOINTMENT REQUEST
    APPOINTMENT <number> WITH ILLUMINATI|GAUDIGUCH|ORDER OF YOMOIGU|<individual>
    APPOINTMENT <number> AVAILABILITY GMT|LOCAL <ex: >
    APPOINTMENT <number> FOR 12:00PM TO 4:00PM <DAY|WEEKDAYS|WEEKEND|ANYTIME>
    You could even allow up to say three possibly appointment times.
    APPOINTMENT <number> REASON COLLEGIUM|NOVICE|TASKS|JOINING|OTHER <REASON>

This system could create an easy to check queue and people could set it to message them appointments. It could also track how long people have been waiting and help identify issues.
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Even if this is the system that is to go forward with or not, the whole elected positions and even ministries could use a looking at.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Steingrim said:

-snip-

SYNTAX:

APPOINTMENT REQUEST

This system could create an easy to check queue and people could set it to message them appointments. It could also track how long people have been waiting and help identify issues.

That hardly sounds like a simple idea. Also, there is a guild that is exactly in the predicament I'm pointing out. No GA, few active undersecs and an inactive GM. I know they're going through a process that involves leaders switching around, but generally speaking... if you have barely anyone to advance novices and are replacing a GA with someone else, stick the current GA in the position until the election to replace goes through, then bother with electing a new GM... at least that is my opinion and that is how I would've handled the situation if it were me doing those rotations. Instead, the former GA can't advance because he didn't appoint himself undersec (Not sure if that's possible to begin with), the new GA is currently in the process of contesting and might be an undersec, but again... time zones, etc, etc.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Silvanus said:

Even if this is the system that is to go forward with or not, the whole elected positions and even ministries could use a looking at.

It does. I've suggested that the college should be more a city/commune thing and that anyone who can advance college members should be able to advance all college members (in other words there doesn't need to be any college tasks that are so difficult that any responsible undersec shouldn't be able to read the cghelp file for a guild and advance them).

If that was implemented then the only crack would be the 10 hours novices have to wait. Which isn't so much a crack as a speedbump. I don't know if it is still the case, but it used to be that some guilds in at least other IRE games had a waiting period before novices could take tests. In achaea it wasn't uncommon for a three weave wait.
  • Elanorwen said:

Steingrim said:

-snip-

SYNTAX:

APPOINTMENT REQUEST

That hardly sounds like a simple idea. Also, there is a guild that is exactly in the predicament I'm pointing out. No GA, few active undersecs and an inactive GM. I know they're going through a process that involves leaders switching around, but generally speaking... if you have barely anyone to advance novices and are replacing a GA with someone else, stick the current GA in the position until the election to replace goes through, then bother with electing a new GM... at least that is my opinion and that is how I would've handled the situation if it were me doing those rotations. Instead, the former GA can't advance because he didn't appoint himself undersec (Not sure if that's possible to begin with), the new GA is currently in the process of contesting and might be an undersec, but again... time zones, etc, etc.
    An appointment system for novices is a simple idea as it can be as simple as a new player turning it on and it pinging every x minutes that they wanted help. The rest of the suggestions may or may not be simple depending on the code base and dev doing the work. It is up to the admin to decide if they want to do any part of this and then decide on the difficulty to do so. There are some things which should be simple for admin to do, but due to the codebase are nightmares. There are also things which seem very difficult to players which are not to certain coders.

Even when the idea is simple, might as well ask for what you want, you never know when a coder might start having fun with the code, get carried away and go above and beyond.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    ....Wasn't the whole point of covenants being a thing precisely to address the problem of low population guilds with not overly active leadership, by giving the covenant guild power to advance these novices? I just don't see how a guild with such inactive leadership needs its GR19s to have extra privs when arguably said leaders should be replaced with these active people who have no privs. I kind of like having some politics in guild as to Appointing positions, and as Others have said, GR19 doesn't have to mean good with novices.

I wouldn't be that upset if it happened but it doesn't strike me as quite the desperate situation it's being made out to be.

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Why is it that the one guild in Mag that could use covenant (Ninjas) doesn't have one? :P

Qistrel said:

Why is it that the one guild in Mag that could use covenant (Ninjas) doesn't have one? :P

Because there's five guilds and only four can be in a covenant? Also, people tend to gravitate towards covenants based on ideological similarities rather than necessity. Not to mention the insanely arduous process of actually forming a covenant and what it requires.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited March 2015
    A couple of ideas brought about by the current leprechaun event going on:

Can there be a line that tells you when you sober up a level?  It's kind of annoying when you unexpectedly slip down a level and everything goes invisible again, it means you need to keep checking STAT every couple of minutes.  Would be lovely if there was a line saying something like "You sober up a little bit" or something like that.

Also with regards to the rewards, instead of having it be "100 for 5 presents", can it possibly be made to be "20 for 1 present"?  100 is a big goal for some people when other people are going around deliberately influencing them with seduction/charity and/or killing them outright.  I know I personally managed to find 8 of them, then only found ones that had been incorrectly influenced for almost a solid 20min.

Just sayin'
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Are you sure it's 100? I always thought it was 50 shamrocks for the prize

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited March 2015
    definitely 100.  Tried going up there and doing SHAMROCK TRADE FOR PRESENTS and got told you need 100 of them.

Seamus Connlaodh says, "You do not have 100 darkshamrocks, mate."
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    Kagato said:

when other people are going around deliberately influencing them with seduction/charity and/or killing them outright.

Killing them gets you shamrocks, too.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."
  • edited March 2015
    Elanorwen said:

Qistrel said:

Because there's five guilds and only four can be in a covenant? Also, people tend to gravitate towards covenants based on ideological similarities rather than necessity. Not to mention the insanely arduous process of actually forming a covenant and what it requires.
    Ur'guard and Geomancers also don't have one.  Main reason Ninjakari don't have one is because there is a 'rule of three' in place, in which all three sohei must agree unanimously for something to go ahead and WE NEVER HAVE THREE SIMULTANEOUSLY ACTIVE T_T  Seriously, the latest attempt had a GA/GM/GC active for ONE DAY.

I pretty much said to nil with it and put into place a state of emergency, letting Syrennia and I implement stuff without a third Sohei for the time being.
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • Eritheyl said:

Kagato said:

when other people are going around deliberately influencing them with seduction/charity and/or killing them outright.

Not sure why that doesn't get you enemied to the forests.
    Sakaki said:

Elanorwen said:

Qistrel said:

Ur'guard and Geomancers also don't have one.  Main reason Ninjakari don't have one is because there is a 'rule of three' in place, in which all three sohei must agree unanimously for something to go ahead and WE NEVER HAVE THREE SIMULTANEOUSLY ACTIVE T_T  Seriously, the latest attempt had a GA/GM/GC active for ONE DAY.

I pretty much said to nil with it and put into place a state of emergency, letting Syrennia and I implement stuff without a third Sohei for the time being.
    I'm quite well aware of the rules to form a covenant. I did mention the "insanely arduous" process. I was a GM of a guild on its downswing (GA was on again, off again, GC was busy with RL) while trying to form a covenant, so I know how much of a pain it can be. We managed... with a lot of messaging and news posting and so on, but we managed to form the covenant... it was tricky and even required swapping a patron because ours at the time was a dormant Divine. As mentioned... insanely arduous process. I do not make it a point to check every guild in every org to know who has a covenant and who with, so... no idea about Ur'Guard/Nihilists personally. I can see them forming a covenant between themselves, though, rather than with Ninjas... but who knows?

Steingrim said:

Eritheyl said:

Kagato said:

Not sure why that doesn't get you enemied to the forests.
    hohoho I made that joke too

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Because it isn't profitable for forests to enemy you for it.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Enemy statuses aren't motivated by profit. It's not profitable for forests to enemy you for anything, especially not in proportion to the vast resources each nation already has - especially the older ones.
  • edited March 2015
    They would be hypocrites in that case if they enemied for slaying the leprechauns of the factions that one was not supporting (As they were directed to do by the leaders!), as I have seen a few Serens killing them in my wanderings.  It would be a case of "Do as I say, not as I do."

Yes, if you talk to the leaders, from what I've been told, the leaders apparently tell you to empower their own followers and slay the leprechauns aligned with the other 2 factions, bringing their corpses back for a reward (more shamrocks)

Lastly, on a more practical level, it would take forever to gain 100 shamrocks exclusively from empowering plus competing with other people - Eileen has almost always been the most supported one - the ONLY time she has NOT won was in 2012 when Seamus won, meaning that unless other people decided to spread out to do the other ones purely for the sake of completion, there would be nowhere NEAR enough to go around.

Date: 3/31/2012 at 23:53
    To : Everyone
    Subj: April Showers Bring New Leprechaun, More Curios and a Minor Tweak
    For the first time in the history of Lusternia, a leprechaun other than 
    Eileen has been elected the leprechaun ruler. All hail King Seamus! 

Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Sakaki said:

- the ONLY time she has NOT won was in 2012 when Seamus won, meaning that unless other people decided to spread out to do the other ones purely for the sake of completion, there would be nowhere NEAR enough to go around.

Down with corrupt leprechaun politics!
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    edited March 2015
    Isn't Eileen the one with the... normal rainbow? It might have something to do with the fact that her competition are the emo leprechauns and the giggly candy leprechauns, neither of which anyone likes very much.

EDIT: I could totally see someone making the argument that the other leprechaun factions are tainted/twisted/unnatural, and that killing them is a mercy/releases their life back into nature. I won't make that argument (and certainly it would be dumb to enemy over it), but hey.
  • PortiusPortius Likes big books, cannot lie
    Add another ten or so titles for prestige wins on the HONORS.
    Any sufficiently advanced pun is indistinguishable from comedy.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    But no one was supposed to do as well as you! Obviously Portius is overpowered. Nerf plz.

• Absolutely not trying to cause trouble here. The just-finished Mag election reminded me about it!

Is it possible to make shrubbed votes not count? It seems like something that would happen anyway, due to the fact that trees don't count as people (Except you sexy druids you). But I've seen it a few times now. People will vote, get shrubbed, and their vote will still count in the election.

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited March 2015
    o Show a count on ARTIFACT LIST and allow us to filter it.
    o Order CURIOS PIECES/COMPLETE in such a way that pieces from the same collection are listed together.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Would it be possible to get a skill (perhaps in Discernment) that will either...

a)

Allow bards to quickly glance over someone (similar to discern/assess) and see what auric afflictions are plaguing a person, as well as their current state of ego (though this could easily be removed and just allow the showing of aurics). This would not consume equilibrium/balance but would require it.

You tune yourself into the vibrations that hang heavy in the air and glean that:
    Tremula's ego stands at 7500/7500.
    Tremula is afflicted by the ominous notes of mana barbs.
    Tremula is afflicted by the whispering notes of an ego vice.
    Tremula is afflicted by the screeching notes of an achromatic aura.
    Tremula is afflicted by the jarring notes of power spikes.

b)

Replace the skill in Discernment with a skill in Music that will allow you to see when aurics are cured, perhaps requiring a maestoto (as used in this example):

Through the perfect notes lingering in the air, you notice that your mana barbs no longer plague Tremula.
    Tremula's ears stop leaking green smoke.

Through the perfect notes lingering in the air, you notice that your ego vice no longer plagues Tremula.
    Tremula's ears stop leaking yellow smoke.

Through the perfect notes lingering in the air, you notice that your achromantic aura no longer surrounds Tremula.
    Tremula's ears no longer leak smoke as harshly.

Through the perfect notes lingering in the air, you notice that your power spikes no longer plague Tremula.
    Tremula's ears stop leaking purple smoke.

(when all aurics are cured)
    Through the perfect notes lingering in the air, you notice that Tremula has freed herself from any auric ailments.

This will finally remove some of the guesswork from what is considered to be (or was intended to be) one of the major points of bard combat, as currently if we notice them taking a drag while their hearing is up, we have to wait and hope that they use something soon that requires mana/ego, and take a wild shot at the achromantic aura (which doesn't show at all).

Spoilers have been used to lessen page spam.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    Minorsixth will show barbs/egovice (and do damage)

Powerspikes cures last, so as long as they have other aurics, they'll still have powerspikes

Achromaticaura can be guessworked by the other 3. 

I'm on the fence about an easy to read skill that tells you aurics, it will likely make things too easy.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Bard is already one of the easier classes to learn, I agree with Synkarin in that this would probably make it too easy to reach your kill scenario. Getting a feel for how to track aurics is part of being a proficient bard.
    I could maybe see passive curing (things like drink, spirit totem, song effects etc) have a line, because sticking aurics against passive curing is balls.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    What. No way. (For purely selfish reasons)