Quest Griefing

Comments

• Silvanus said:

I think a lot of you need to look inwards at your actions and figure out what the other person on the other side perceives, because you are probably being just as big of a dick.

How about all us jerks just agree to be jerks to each other, leave the not-jerks out of it, and not whine on the forums.  Can't we all just mangle each other and be happy?
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    edited September 2013
    Personally I dislike the Spire. The fact that when it's down only keeps the status quo for undead (and doesn't reward them with extra H/M/E regen) is pretty one sided.

That said there should be a non enemy territory quest that raises a counter spire giving undead regen and everyone else a penalty, which gives soulless curios for raising and nothing for removing.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    edited September 2013
    I never said I did it for griefing purposes. You chose to read it that way. If it had no effect on undead I'd still do it every now and again, because the quest is one of the few I actually enjoy in this game. Trust me, I'm not so petty as to put in effort into removing one level of regeneration from a small subset of the game. My point is that it isn't getting farmed for curios and I'd try to make the point that it isn't being done to spite you, but it seems like you wouldn't believe me there. Either way, I guess I'm the true griefer, yay. 

Let me show you my new character portrait I've been working on. :P

Ps. The spire is REALLY not that hard to take down. Just bring one other person and you get it done in no time. 
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    There are a lot of quests that are fun that are not done.

You don't see people doing the Soulforge.

You don't see people bringing Faethorn under control of the Elements, nor do you see earth dominant over water (admittedly one part of the quest really sucks).

Just because its fun, doesn't mean it should be done often. It is possible for you to be doing something fun and still be a dick. Thoros LOVED to raid Eventruland, not just cause of the response, but because of the challenge of fighting 200 mobs in a 15 room radius. Yet everyone called him a griefer.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
    edited September 2013
    Silvanus said:
    There are a lot of quests that are fun that are not done.

You don't see people doing the Soulforge.

You don't see people bringing Faethorn under control of the Elements, nor do you see earth dominant over water (admittedly one part of the quest really sucks).

Just because its fun, doesn't mean it should be done often. It is possible for you to be doing something fun and still be a dick. Thoros LOVED to raid Eventruland, not just cause of the response, but because of the challenge of fighting 200 mobs in a 15 room radius. Yet everyone called him a griefer.
    Well, I mean, are we trying to get into a philosophical discussion about what being a griefer really is? A lot of people raid. A lot of people raid a lot. I wouldn't call them griefers. It's how they handle it and what they're intending to do and whether or not they can understand when they take it too far. There's also a matter of if the 'victims' can really do anything about it too.
    Fine I'll settle this the right way.

I AM OOCLY ASKING YOU NOT TO DO THE SPIRE ANYMORE. 

Please, stop doing the Spire, it has more of an effect then you know. I hate having to answer the same f'in questions about what the Spire is, why is it on my diagnose, and why no one removes it.

Please, please, please stop putting up the spire. It may be a fun quest, but its just extremely annoying for a subsection of the game. And yes, it hurts novices and weaklings, not Demigods or anyone else.

The only thing you are accomplishing by raising the Spire is by being a dick to anyone under level 99.

2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    edited September 2013
    Rivius said:

Aerys and I used to do it before the curio change pretty constantly. I know this because I know when she first received her curio she was like "what the heck is this?". We honestly do just enjoy the quest and the bashing area. Taking it down is also pretty darn simple.

You may not have even noticed, but I can assure you that Aerys' involvement (along with yours) went up after the change. Prior, the spire was rarely up for more than a few RL days at a time. It would get dropped and stay down for a while.

It may just be the fact that the game now rewards it that drove a subconscious desire (oh hey, I should do that quest we do), but speaking as someone with a Twist who regularly checked in on things there a pattern clearly emerged. The other option is that the two of you just decided to become more griefery at that exact time, but that is less likely.

Add onto that other people doing it and it always stays up.

Again, what you are missing is that dropping it *does nothing*. It stays active. When it goes inactive, someone can just do the simple quest to put it up again, effectively leaving its effects up permanently (which is what we have experienced since the change).

Edit: A few minor formatting tweaks and spelling corrections due to typing-on-phone-itis.
    Honestly I'm wishing someone would do the Soulforge. The fact there are quests which are undead vs living means it's essentially 4.8 (because there is probably just short of a fifth of people in Glomdoring who use Dark Rebirth) organisations that are living and 1.2 that are undead. The giant gulf means that if Magnagora (because Glom isn't going to do this stuff to attack the majority of their faction) does Throne/Spire to enjoy the same benefits as everyone else, they have to go against 5 other organisations to do it.

I've seen other people decry this act as selfish, and compare it to other "One org benefits, everyone else suffers" quests such as TBC and Soulforge.

Personally I wish people would do the Soulforge again, hell if I knew how to do it I probably would just to see how hard the supermob hits (same reason I've considered raising the Cloier in the caverns) Like Silv says, people do things for fun, or to see if they can actually do it just because it's a challenge and it's there. But when it affects other people they'll dictate your motives to you and claim you're doing it just to affect them.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Generally not a forum goer, but I heard my name had come up a few times and couldn't resist.

Honestly, this whole thing has me somewhat amused. I, too, had never heard of Elanorwen until I went to work on the Throne quest, something that Uruk has done countless times before. As a member of the ur'Guard restoring -any- of Urlach's artifacts is very much of interest to him, so I go in and do it more for the RP than the buff anyways. Uruk, seeing that a member of the living was attempting to defile Urlach's Throne picked up a couple of items.

You see, out of character, I was kind of hoping to engage in some form of RP regarding the whole situation. Greifing someone had nothing to do with it and I would have been more than happy to return the stuff afterwards. However, instead of actually speaking with Uruk, outside of 'Give it back or die", you just ran off and started kick raiding on Earth.

Uruk even proposed that you could gladly go ahead and kill him to retrieve your items. I then proceeded to walk around the Undervault tunnels for what was it... an hour? I sat there and let you wail on me while I killed fishers, 'ghost running' only to move out of your barrier long enough for me to move to the next set of fishers. 

You then proceeded to grief (plain and simple) anyone weak enough for you to pick on with no chance of retaliation just because you're upset with my characters in game actions. The fact that my character doesn't actually feel bad if another cog in the engine suffers a slight setback due to the actions of a childish enemy of the city has been clearly told to you in character, yet you continue killing them off anyways. I guess if you can't kill the problem you kill his friends?

You can cry and whine about how unfair the rules are all you want. It doesn't change the fact that nobody is really out to get you, and that your decisions (whether IC or OOC I really can't tell at this point) are very much flawed. If you had made even the slightest IC effort to resolve the situation it would have been. Instead you acted like a spoiled child and demanded that everything go your way or else. A bit of advice, that attitude doesn't get you very far in life, especially when you're dealing with someone who also happens to be a parent.

P.S. I seem to remember you wandering in and killing the Merians while Uruk was raising the quest more than once... also showing up right after it had been raised to nothing more than Uruk's salute and a smile. So don't act like this whole 'quest griefing' thing isn't a two way street.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Morkarion said:
    "I kill the spectres just because I don't like Magnagora, has nothing to do with people questing."

So, the fact you're actively going out your way to clear the island because you dislike the Org which limits the number of people who can do the power quest in the day, whether it be for the collegium, nexus blessings etc. isn't you griefing first.

The fact you killed someone on non enemy prime for being alongside someone else you had beef with, a situation they themselves had no idea about and no prior interaction with you to cause you grief, isn't you griefing first.

See, here's the issue with it all. You justify your actions in your mind, to be logical and fair and totally ok, but when someone else does the same thing to you, it's unfair and needs fixing. The fact your personal pride refuses to accept any wrongdoing on your behalf, leads you to creating a scenario of one rule for you, and another for everyone else. Taking a personal example here, not to complain but because it works so well, non enemy to Hallifax, never had a direct conflict with you or jumped you. Infact if anything your behaviour in Glomdoring over the whole VA nomination thing and throwing your toys out the pram and starting to insult people who had any public support probably gave me cause to start anything, but never did.

Anyway

One lagdeath on Astral and you're up stealing corpses, quick smack talk back and forth and the matter was done. No forum posts, no threatening Hallifax with raiding, no griefing other people in revenge. However fast forward a while later and you jump into a Domoth upgrade into a killbox room, designed because you're notorious for jumping into domoths and scent scouting and jumping straight back out again, you die and drop two manifestations, just before sands are due. This leads to complaining here, complaining in game, accusations of corpse theft and threats to raid daughters/aspects/tree chop.

So perhaps when you can quell your ego, and realise that you're as bad, if not worse at times than the stick you get back, people might like you a little more. Because the one thing that personally makes you dislikeable is your utter hypocrisy.
    Spectre killing was right after the Uruk incident and hasn't happened since. Not even once. *shrug* Stealing your corpses on Astral happened once and hasn't been repeated. If you like, I can start messing with you on Astral just so you can see how griefing actually works. The killbox room thing specially designed for me had nothing to do with me popping in, scenting and leaving. I used to take Facility shortcuts on a regular basis. A lot of other people do. I've walked someone out of a distort before too. Nowadays, you won't catch me taking a wrong turn like that. We live and learn, etc. I never threatened to leave Glomdoring if I didn't get elected as VA. My words were... Morkarion will get elected, I'm leaving. Has nothing to do with me not being elected, but has absolutely everything to do with Morkarion being elected. In my opinion, Morkarion isn't someone that makes a good VA, and well... after spending my gold upkeeping trees for a nice, long while... and you know, a lot of power comes from that... why am I working my ass off for that? Whatever, believe what you will.

The @Synkarin engagement thing, well... one could say I got trolled there quite a bit. "Come to Halli, we'll have lots of fun, etc, etc" Well... guess who puts emotions into the RP and ends up in a depression when the person in question runs off? Yes, be ticked off about it OOC-ly... good for you to be ticked off just because someone was happy in some way.

Athree was never enemied to Aeromancers (No, we don't enemy people for attacking guild members unlike another guild I can name). I could've done that when I caught him on Air later on and told him to leave, but nothing happened there. Defending their commune-mates? Faethorn is neutral territory and technically, according to Halli laws he should still be enemied, but whatever, makes no difference to me and less whining involved. The 2 million gold fine thing? Did it happen, even though I'm Aero GC? It didn't... and really, one would expect Athree to not go around and babble what he heard on an OOC clan, especially when it's obviously a joke. But I guess one learns where the friends really are in the end.

As to me killing someone on non enemy prime... kephera hives are enemy prime. I didn't have to declare to attack them... or they would have walked out of the barrier without any kind of trouble too.

Most cases of my griefing is usually preceded by someone stepping onto my toes and going to hide in a manse. Johan name-calling, for instance, then bringing three people to protect his rear when I take up camp in his manse because he's too thick to set perms properly? Should I have taken it out on Svorai over that one? Me getting enemied to Glom over chasing someone from Air and getting jumped by several people in the process? Well then, I can raid Glom, can't I? After all, I got to earn that status now, don't I? Took Svorai exactly 10 seconds to put a stop of it by having a normal talk with me. The whole thing could've been avoided if one of the SD leads had done their job after the numerous messages I left about Johan repeatedly raiding Air and even prime Hallifax. But again, whatever... I'm the evil one here. I think this is where I stop discussing the matter altogether as you're all just reacting to me, apparently and are more innocent than the cherubs on Celestia yourselves otherwise.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Silvanus said:
    Fine I'll settle this the right way.

I AM OOCLY ASKING YOU NOT TO DO THE SPIRE ANYMORE. 

Please, stop doing the Spire, it has more of an effect then you know. I hate having to answer the same f'in questions about what the Spire is, why is it on my diagnose, and why no one removes it.

Please, please, please stop putting up the spire. It may be a fun quest, but its just extremely annoying for a subsection of the game. And yes, it hurts novices and weaklings, not Demigods or anyone else.

The only thing you are accomplishing by raising the Spire is by being a dick to anyone under level 99.

• Thank god.  Is this thread over now?  I've run out of cheese.

Elanorwen said:

I never threatened to leave Glomdoring if I didn't get elected as VA. My words were... Morkarion will get elected, I'm leaving. Has nothing to do with me not being elected, but has absolutely everything to do with Morkarion being elected. In my opinion, Morkarion isn't someone that makes a good VA, and well... after spending my gold upkeeping trees for a nice, long while... and you know, a lot of power comes from that... why am I working my ass off for that? Whatever, believe what you will.
    http://pastebin.com/A65sR1Nh I'll believe what you said, thanks.

Funnily enough this is the first instance I've heard of you blaming me being VA for leaving. I'd heard you'd been speaking badly about myself and Nihta (Apparently folks I bash too much to fight and be a VA [despite never missing a flare/revolt/domoth/wildnodes when I'm online and drop hunting to join in] and she fights too much to be a VA. /logic) This wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have a history of throwing your toys out of the pram when elections of various sorts don't go your way. The one that personally amused me was complaining that Kalia had a higher Order rank than you, mainly because she was doing her tasks and being active in Shikari related business, when you weren't even completing basic offerings tasks because you were instead giving corpses to Mysrai because to paraphrase She pays better in essence to TF ratio.

And again lies the problem therein, it's never your fault and there's always something, some reason you're being victimised. The fact you can't hold your hands up and own it and go against general consensus further proves the point =/

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    This is getting pretty salty, where's my watermelon.

Because putting salt on watermelon enhances the flavor, you see. Try it!
    edited September 2013
    I don't trust you. You're just trying to grief my watermelons.
  • Watermelons are already grief. You must bring yourself to comprehend their succulent sorrow.
    Morkarion said:

Elanorwen said:

I never threatened to leave Glomdoring if I didn't get elected as VA. My words were... Morkarion will get elected, I'm leaving. Has nothing to do with me not being elected, but has absolutely everything to do with Morkarion being elected. In my opinion, Morkarion isn't someone that makes a good VA, and well... after spending my gold upkeeping trees for a nice, long while... and you know, a lot of power comes from that... why am I working my ass off for that? Whatever, believe what you will.
    http://pastebin.com/A65sR1Nh I'll believe what you said, thanks.

Funnily enough this is the first instance I've heard of you blaming me being VA for leaving. I'd heard you'd been speaking badly about myself and Nihta (Apparently folks I bash too much to fight and be a VA [despite never missing a flare/revolt/domoth/wildnodes when I'm online and drop hunting to join in] and she fights too much to be a VA. /logic) This wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have a history of throwing your toys out of the pram when elections of various sorts don't go your way. The one that personally amused me was complaining that Kalia had a higher Order rank than you, mainly because she was doing her tasks and being active in Shikari related business, when you weren't even completing basic offerings tasks because you were instead giving corpses to Mysrai because to paraphrase She pays better in essence to TF ratio.

And again lies the problem therein, it's never your fault and there's always something, some reason you're being victimised. The fact you can't hold your hands up and own it and go against general consensus further proves the point =/
    Never offered to Mysrai as Elanorwen. Just made comments that Mysrai gives better TFs vs Shikari's. The fact that I never offered at all doesn't mean I'm offering to someone else. As to your pastebin, I dunno... all I said there was that I might find more reasons to stick around with VA rather than not being VA adding to the reasons for me leaving. And if you want to pull more OOC trash... should I find the one that Haiden c/p-ed my way about you saying on Skype how you'd make a really bad VA?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    edited September 2013
    As a note, aside from that log, Elanorwen also told Xenthos IC that she was seriously considering leaving Glomdoring, but wouldn't if she got VA.

This was way before anyone was even nominated; nominations didn't happen until after you left.  There was an awful lot of drama involved in your campaigning that kind of irritated many of us.

As a note, on an OOC level I absolutely loathe things like that.  If someone deserves something then they deserve it.  Trying to pressure / blackmail / force others to do what you want like that tends to make me dig in my heels ("Wait," I hear you thinking, "Xenthos is stubborn?  I never knew...").

It's not the kind of thing that would make me as either a player or a character want to interfere in the person's quests once they leave, but... it very well might for others, especially some of the ones who were being consistently badmouthed to much of the Commune (including their own spouses).
    That'd be impressive, I don't have Haiden on Skype!

Man, I feel like this thread went out of control.
    Rivius said:
    Man, I feel like this thread went out of control.
    And Sojiro is loving it.

But really, most of them are on-topic; exploring the motivations someone might have for quest-griefing, discussing certain quests which are themselves considered griefing, and so on.  Admittedly some of it is a bit pointed.
  • Wow. Somehow I'm regretting ever coming to the forums.

• edited September 2013
    Yay, the thread that finally made me break my forum silence. Anyway.

The Spire of Dionamus is my favorite quest of the whole game. Favorite part of the whole game, actually. I love the way it's written, I loved the feelings it gave when I finished it the first time.

But I won't lie, Xenthos has the right of it. When the curio rewards came out, I started farming the Spire for Vernal curios. When the Spire falls, I'm eager to reraise it. Not expressly because it's harmful to Magnagorans or other like beings (though there's plenty of RP reason for that), but primarily for the IC together-time with Rivius and the curios. And the main reason I *don't* lower the Spire often (I have in the past, with the intent to raise it yet again) is because there's so little reward for it. Also, on a related point, did people not abuse the Wheel of the Goloth quest because both sides provided a Vernal or Soulless curio? It sure seemed like it to me, as often as the wheel went up and down for a while.

Don't get me wrong. If there were a greater reward for dropping it, I'd be more inclined to do so. Not ashamed to admit that.

Silvanus, while I think you're making a slightly bigger deal of it than is necessary, I don't think you're unreasonable in your points or your request. I can only say that in the future, I'll consider lowering it more often. I'd be more than happy to, should an extra award be tacked onto it, be it a Soulless curio or otherwise. (Though truthfully, I think it would be somewhat difficult to justify a Soulless curio. Perhaps a regular one, I dunno.)

[Edit]

In addition, having dealth with both sides of the Spire quest firsthand, I feel that the destruction side requires far more effort. You're required to hunt out nearly half of living creatures there, whereas with the repair quest, you can get lucky and only have to pick a few choice fights. Also, when turning items in to create the bombs, the mob makes you wait there a few seconds, every time. You can't just spam GIVE for them. (Though I have to say, it's thematically appropriate and I love it.) While it may not seem like much, it has the potential of being a fairly large difference of time and effort invested. So, for more effort, there's less reward. Just thought I'd point this out as well.
    The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "The Challenge of Life has ended!"
    The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Aerys stands as the Champion of Life!"
    The wheel still goes up and down. But yes since curios got added to certain quests, they're far more frequent, see the Catacombs for example.

Kio said:
    Woah woah woah.

I didn't realize IC conversations were "OOC trash."
    My comment about Mysrai's TFs that got brought up is OOC trash. My comments in regards to what's-her-face being higher rank in order were OOC remarks. My comments in regards to Athree's enemying to Hallifax and the subsequent fines were OOC talk. Do I need to go on?

Well, if there's mechanical imbalances with the quest difficulty and rewards for both sides, maybe that's something that needs fixing mechanically.
    Note that the Wheel of Goloths quest has no mechanical negative impact on anyone (and is currently being spammed repeatedly by a person in Hallifax, with an occasional Gaudiguchian participant- I tend to pop in to see who is working on it when the world-emotes happen).
  • Xenthos said:
    Note that the Wheel of Goloths quest has no mechanical negative impact on anyone (and is currently being spammed repeatedly by a person in Hallifax, with an occasional Gaudiguchian participant- I tend to pop in to see who is working on it when the world-emotes happen).
    If anything, that point serves to me as reason to add a reward for lowering the Spire. There's very little incentive to lower it, and plenty to raise it. 
    The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "The Challenge of Life has ended!"
    The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Aerys stands as the Champion of Life!"