Cloaking Gems (Again)

2»

Comments

• Ayisdra said:

Aetolia seems to show everyone that's online and they're doing fine.
    I can't help but think if we had everyone shown, how it would effect people picking things when they see Mag or Seren having 12 people online vs Glom or Hallifax having half (or less than) that. That people are going to go to the top 2-3 places without even trying other orgs.

Are the breakdowns of org pop in Aetolia more or less even? Celest, Mag, and Seren having around 12 people online with Halli, Gaudi, and Glom having half that. Showing everyone online may just make deader orgs even more dead for people won't even try them out because of the lack of people.
    As far as I remembered, which was during the summer was that Shadow more often than not consistently has a high population anyway. A few variated reasons why and includes people being attracted to sides that have org leaders that are combat savvy, because it makes it easier to achieve goals, but I don't think it's 100 percent completely related to cloaking gems at all. However, both Shadow and Light tether have almost an even amount of cloaking gem users. Except for a "special" few people on Shadow who are of status to be completely cloaked like Lusternia's cloaking gems. 

A lot of times, the population of Duiran and Enorian can have maybe...ten at the most, and then Spinesreach can at times have about twenty people for a few hours. Bloodloch would especially have high numbers throughout the day at about twenty as well, but again for a longer amount of time than their fellow Shadow Spinesreach. So, what I summarized most of my playtime there was that Shadow would frequent twice the numbers despite both sides having almost even a number of cloaked users, which were only a handful of them.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Ayisdra said:

Aetolia seems to show everyone that's online and they're doing fine.
    I can't help but think if we had everyone shown, how it would effect people picking things when they see Mag or Seren having 12 people online vs Glom or Hallifax having half (or less than) that. That people are going to go to the top 2-3 places without even trying other orgs.

Are the breakdowns of org pop in Aetolia more or less even? Celest, Mag, and Seren having around 12 people online with Halli, Gaudi, and Glom having half that. Showing everyone online may just make deader orgs even more dead for people won't even try them out because of the lack of people.
    Even with this concern... I'd rather have newbies think there are people playing and stick around than think that the game is dead, regardless of org.

• What if there were three "modes" for the gem, that allows the player to dictate exactly how visible they are?
    Change the wording to something more apt, but maybe "CLOAKING <mode>" with full, meaning fully private as it is now, partial meaning show up for orgs you're apart of, and none, meaning you're fully visible as one without the gem. This invites the owners to have some say in how often they're visible and when, without removing the opportunity for them to go into complete privacy like they paid for? 
    60% Explorer 60% Socializer 40% Achiever 40% Killer
  • Aisha said:
    What if there were three "modes" for the gem, that allows the player to dictate exactly how visible they are?
    Change the wording to something more apt, but maybe "CLOAKING <mode>" with full, meaning fully private as it is now, partial meaning show up for orgs you're apart of, and none, meaning you're fully visible as one without the gem. This invites the owners to have some say in how often they're visible and when, without removing the opportunity for them to go into complete privacy like they paid for? 
    Reviewing this, I guess more intuitive it could be: Cloaking Full - No one can see you
    Partial- People in orgs you share can see you 
    None - Everyone can see you. (It was too late to edit the comment sorry to double post)
    60% Explorer 60% Socializer 40% Achiever 40% Killer
  • Going to repeat her a comment I made on discord.

Leave who/qwho functionality as is (or change it to a different command with the same functionality), gem removes you from the list, shows plane only (ewho untouched as well). Make a new type of who list that is for who online, it would show regardless of plane and lists the player but nothing about location. There are some things to consider such as how it would interact with people in manses, or people too far off prime for a newbie to send a tell (such as on an aetherbubble) - but those can be worked out. I also don't really mind if the new who online is put as the default who, and the current one is changed to a new command.

The key aspects for why most people get a gem is not to appear offline, but so that they can do engage in conflict/sneak into places without being detected. So any changes which nerfs that hiding your location would counter the usual purpose of the gem. Ie, if a change was made to have gem only hide location but could still detect what plane you're on would not be a good change. For example if If I'm on astral with my gem, somebody else on astral shouldn't be able to see I'm on astral by checking who, but I don't mind if they know I'm online somewhere in the game.