Artifact Ideas

Comments

• Elanorwen said:
    My last post wasn't related to the artifact itself, but trying to explain how someone wanting to be aged/deaged affects us. That said, I don't even have aeonics to be complaining about it, but... the way Feyda has been going at the situation is laughable at best, up to and including trying to OOC-ly guilt trip researchers into aging her. When that didn't work, she comes to the forums and starts asking for an artifact... and even then, people are offering alternate suggestions, but all she can do is complain about how unfair we're being.
    I'm not sure where you got any of that information from.

You know nothing about how I've "gone about" this. In fact, the only two people I asked about aging were Vivet and Dahnrio, both ICly. They both told me exactly what I posted before, noting that the policy is there regardless of enemy statuses.

A few days after that I came here to post the artifact idea. I haven't tried to discuss this in or out of character with anyone -- but yet again, you're just posting for the sake of trolling. Why should I waste good words typing out a reply to you, especially if I'm going to have to keep refuting false accusations and claims?

Seriously, Elanorwen, stop shitposting for attention. While intentionally being annoying /
    making things up is a great way to obtain replies; If you're not going to add anything of value to the discussion, I don't see any purpose in responding to you any longer. Really, it would be great if you could take into the consideration the quality of your post before pressing submit.

What we have done in this thread so far is had a discussion about the artifact proposed. We've debated our opinions on this, and offered up different ideas on the subject. Seeing as you're not here to do that, it's understandable why you would be confused about what's going on.

But I digress.

Admittedly, I did miss replies in my lack of lurking. I don't go on the forums everyday, so I didn't spend any time writing out my opinion on Vivet's suggestion. If she wants to make the artifact better than what I was asking for, I certainly have nothing to "whine" about there.

My intention wasn't to disrupt any Institute or Sentinel RP, or "whine" about any perceived "mistreatment" (I know better than to get my panties in a bunch about in-character interaction, but it does annoy me that I have to explain myself to certain people who cannot). All I want is an artifact that allows me the opportunity to adopt this person. This is a game, interacting with this person in this way is one of the things I find fun. That's all I want to do. I really didn't expect this idea to become a big issue for some reason.

Lerad said:
    Arguing that other players shouldn't get an org specific ability via artifacts because "it affects us when you raid us" is an egregrious mixing of IC/OOC actions/consequences. If any ability is to be put into artifacts, it should be argued for using solid reasonings for its need as an artifact. And if arguments exist to be against such an implementation, it should also be made using reasonings for the lack of a need of such an artifact. Not because "Hallifax has this, and Hallifax doesn't want Gaudiguch to have it".

Is there a need for an age-changing artifact to allow adoptions? I personally believe that the answer is no. If a character is too old for you to adopt, marry him. Or make one of your spawn marry him. End of story. If you want a child, find a character younger than yours. End of story.
    This is where I disagree. I'm not asking simply because Hallifax has it and doesn't want Gaudiguch to have it. While that may be the specific reason why I can't have access to it personally, I do believe everyone should have access to aging from a mechanical perspective. If aging mechanically allows for adoption, I can't see why access to it should still remain limited. Situations like these being a reason, yes.

Now I do understand what you're saying from a personal point of view. I simply have to disagree with it. That is part of how the skill works. This isn't about wanting to snatch up newbies or anything like that, but being open to the idea that this person could be a child... because that's how we intend to interact. As Allyrianne mentioned, adoption is part of the functionality of aging -- the game literally allows someone to do what you're against.

But just snatching up for numbers wouldn't be my specific purpose for buying something like this. If increasing my family size was my goal, I would indeed done what you said (marry them off) instead of requesting an artifact like this.

While I know "'x' group has 'y' we want 'y' too" is a reason to deny an envoy report, I really don't see the harm in having a public artifact that allows this. As was mentioned before, the effect is limited. Aging is merely a flavour skill with a useful mechanical ability. We can harvest the mechanical side of the skill while still retaining its flavour and RP purpose.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Just do like everyone else does, hire someone to make an alt for your agewhore. >.<
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • I don't know if an artifact or a manse upgrade option, but it would be really neat to be able to have rotating/seasonal descriptions for rooms/short descs. IE if you had a garden, it would rotate between 4 descs depending on the season so you could change it appropriately. 
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Tajalli said:
    I don't know if an artifact or a manse upgrade option, but it would be really neat to be able to have rotating/seasonal descriptions for rooms/short descs. IE if you had a garden, it would rotate between 4 descs depending on the season so you could change it appropriately. 
    Being that there already is no limitation to the amount of times you can change a room's description, I personally fail to see the purpose of this artifact.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • ZouviqilZouviqil Queen of Uberjerkiness
    Elanorwen said:
    Tajalli said:
    I don't know if an artifact or a manse upgrade option, but it would be really neat to be able to have rotating/seasonal descriptions for rooms/short descs. IE if you had a garden, it would rotate between 4 descs depending on the season so you could change it appropriately. 
    Being that there already is no limitation to the amount of times you can change a room's description, I personally fail to see the purpose of this artifact.
    If your manse has 20 outside rooms, do you really want to go through at the change of each season IG - every three days - to change the description of each room? Over the course of a 5 IG year period, that's 400,000 gold. At current credit prices, 16 credits. 

It would be far easier to have it be automatic for the user and would require minimal additional programming for it to work. They could easily sell such an artifact for 25cr per room, which would potentially generate money for them. Someone may have two or three rooms and think "Oh, it's only 75cr, I would spend money on that." Not to mention that if they bring back artifact packages with manse bundles, it's another thing to add to a manse bundle to get people excited about making a purchase for a deal.

So, for minimal effort, Lusternia wins, corporate wins, and players win.

It gets my vote of approval there.
  • I still want my rune of keg/cube cloning so I don't have to upkeep my shops as much :(
    edited March 2014
    Gnomish Stole of Kadiddleplodding: 200 Dingbats. Allows you to marry two people together. Only useable by owner.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Malarious said:
    Flagbearers Crest (price varied):

Allows a person to raise a standard similar to the knighthood skill.
    While I like this idea... mainly because I'm probably the tankiest person in Halli and I would like to do more bashing with my city in dangerous places where I can survive and others can't... I do believe this was brought up on envoys and shot down by the powers that be.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • edited March 2014
    Elanorwen said:
    Malarious said:

and others can't
    Guilty as charged, and for that reason that would be a lovely artifact idea. On the other hand, I really don't like when class skills are sold as artifacts.
    Jadice, the Frost Queen says to you, "Constant vigilance."
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Ileein said:
    Elanorwen said:
    Malarious said:

and others can't
    Guilty as charged, and for that reason that would be a lovely artifact idea. On the other hand, I really don't like when class skills are sold as artifacts.
    Speaking as the fellow who wrote & submitted the envoy report to add this to the game, I have no objection whatsoever.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Estarra said:

Bump

Yeeeeeessssss. Bring on the auctions!
  • Wheeeee!
  • As for artifact ideas... I still want a cheap (25cr) rune to place on kegs that make a clone of said keg. Anything put in or taken from either keg would also cause the same change to appear in the other. Perfect for making shopkeeping less of a hassle!

On the topic of auction artifacts though... hmm. A staff of <insert name here> that causes herbs to be replanted in a room (i.e. if there is no chervil or coltsfoot in a forest room and the staff is used, they'd both get one herb back)? Usable once per IC day, or usable at any time with some kind of cost attached.
    A certificate for a personally customisable mask/stole. You design and submit it, and the admin makes it for you.

Emotes! Let us bid on emotes!

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Now that Eventru is gone, can I do my huge list again
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Runes of Absorption for damage types other than physical. Only possible to have one rune active at a time. *eye destro-spam
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    I second shield runes that give dmp instead of shield stats. Can only be attached to shields though.
    I'd like to have a rune to attach to shields too, to make them permanent.
    Gripping runes homie
    Grip runes won't attach to shields :(
    Oh. Sad panda. Also awkward. Fist sigils do
    Customisable enter/exits.

• ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    edited March 2014
    I feel like I hold the record for most artifact ideas making it into the game.

Let's Do This Version 9:

Kiakodan Pollen - when held in the inventory, anyone who says the user's name will make the user sneeze. If you want this to be even more fun, allow it to work off tells and channels as well.

Crumkane's cookie - a cookie that you can eat over and over and over for some sustenance. Usable twice per game day.

A beacon of ice - generates one ice larva in the the user's room once per IC year.

A time contraption - allows you to set your age once, contraption gets destroyed afterwards

A book of regional dialects - allows you to give your says an accent or voice. Ex: Shuyin says in a whiny voice, "Nerf" - subject to admin review/approval.

Mark of racial superiority - allows you to change your perceived race to any of the spec-specific adjectives without actually changing your stats - ex: Shuyin the kephera can choose to be displayed as a royal kephera without zenobia being up, etc.

A gnomish hose - fills a room with actual water, making you need to SWIM to get in/out.

A heavenly drill - allows you to temporarily change indoor rooms to outdoors for a few seconds, allowing you to fly/etc.

Mechanical crank - keeps musicboxes playing until you STOP CRANK, then they'll run their timer down naturally. Maybe have it work for pocketwatches too, but not a big deal. 

Balloon rune. - heavily reduces your summon resistance when worn. Opposite of mass rune.

Minimap - catacombs map for the user only, doesn't take entourages (player, etc), stopped by distort.

Scorpion's Tail - with this item in your inventory, lets you envenom your weapons with any existing poison.

Stretched skin - adds +100 tattoo weight to a body part. If you want to gouge people, make one for every body part.

Divine feast - add 40 demi weight, upgrade of manna.

Mark of the stars - bestows a random astrology sphere on you once per IC day, weighted to be beneficial.

Shroud of Atropos - Hides the user's kills from deathsense.

Dimensional Key - allows you to send portals (like in Veneration) to another player, stopped by everything that stops portals. Entering a portal while a monolith is dropped will prevent successful entry as well.

Vanity Mirror - allows the user to generate 1 reflection of himself, like the Beastmastery/Glamours ability.

Bolas - when wielded, allows you to throw them at a target, entangling them. Can be done directionally as well.

Ikonchest - generates 1-2 random ikons inside every IC month.

Curiochest - same as above, only curios.

Roidoru reagent - speeds up beast balance.

Night's cauldron: replaces a SD's cauldron, generate shadows every IC day, up to 200

Pound of flesh - generates a specific flesh once per IC day, syntax is WEIGH (flesh)

Gem mine - same as the flesh, only for charged gems

A card of the fates - a blank tarot card that allows you to inscribe any tarot card on it once every IC year, acts like an infinite version of the card inscribed

Mote of the fates - same as above, only for motes

Rune of the fates - same as above, only for runes

Covenleader's Badge - if you're the leader of the coven, reduces the number of members required for rituals by 1.

Blessing of the Forest - if you're appointed the caretaker of a totem, all your totems last significantly longer before reverting.

Stealth Brace - generates darts for blowguns every IC day.

Holy Altar - generates 1-2 holy globes every IC month.

Reagent Pool - generates chem reagents every IC day.

Flag of the 2nd Circle  - grants the owner the "standardbearer" ability in Knighthood

An Illusory Prop - grants the owner the ability to cast programmed illusions in a room.

Snoefaasian Amulet - grants the owner the ability to freeze ground, put up icewalls, and call forth a blizzard effect similar to the snoefaasia fae. The latter is usable once every IC month.

Cape of the Inferno - grants the wearer a 20% chance to burn away the next entanglement that hits them. Only works for entangles that you can invoke summer/tipheret on. Also allows you to cast ignite / firewalls.

An Aetherial Hook - allows you to pull an adventurer from a room adjacent to your own. Stopped by shield, summon resistance, blocking, and walls.

Beastmaster's Whip - lash it to a loyal entity (tracking dog, flesh, fae, demons, angels, etc) and you will be able to summon it at no cost (power, area, room, etc reqs) except for balance/equilibrium once every IC day.

Poison Bomb - Throw this object at the ground or to another room, hitting everyone in the room with random afflictions.

Urlach's Gravestone - You power it up by killing mobs. When it reaches you full power, you can set it at a room where you will be automatically rezzed when you die. Need to kill again to recharge it.

Changeling Armor - Permanent armour that can be changed between 70/70 robes or 100/100 fullplate whenever you touch it for a big balance loss. 

Portahouse - Allows you to set up illusory manses as if you were a bard. 

Recharging field - When worn, anyone who hits and bounces off your shield (lowmagic/highmagic/etc) will restore a portion of your health per attempt.

Brass balls - gives you access to the numb ability from athletics.

Wand of Stonewalls - lets you make stonewalls, like the other similar wands.

Circlet of Dionamus - lets you use the vitality ability from athletics.

Springloaded Boots - lets you use the springup ability from acrobatics.

Tae'dae's Skull - gives the wearer a chance to resist forced commands.

Tzaraziko's Dice - you can roll these dice once a month and get a random blessing. Like the candy box, only better. Examples: +1-2 unweighted to a random stat, health bonus, DMP, etc.

Ayridion's Spark - when worn or consumed, allows a demigod to make purchased powers go supernumerary for no essence cost.

Badge of the Explorer - when worn, it gives the wearer a line whenever any 'new' rooms are entered for the purposes of determining the gain of explorer rank.

Beastmaster's Gland - allows a beast to hold and spit up to 100-500 shots of a poison.

Ring of D'varsha - wearing this ring gives the owner a 10/10 armor boost along with a full set of tailoring proofs. Stacks with any type of armor.

Boring name 1 - increases the length of time before your damage shift fades.

Ran out of cool names 2 - Allows you to hold multiple gestalts and allows you to easily switch between a battle gestalt and an influence one.

Not very clever title 3 - allows you to stage your own lotteries and quizzes ala divine events.

Nggh, insert funny artie here 4 - the wearer takes less damage and shrugs more afflictions the more people attack him/her within a span of time.

Okay last one for now 5 - scrying effects on you have a chance to return random locations instead of your actual one.

Curio puzzle piece - forms into any missing curio piece when inserted into a partially formed one.

• KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    The Mark of Racial Superiority would require a coding change, as is Dark Reapers and Royal Kephera don't show up in their honours titles at Demigod.

It would also make the bonus of being a DR/RK when Cthog/Zenobia isn't up from having the epic honours, irrelevant.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Clearly, some of those are wildly OP bad ideas, but they're pretty obvious anyways.

Also: I don't think we're on the same page with how totems/caretaking works.
  • A runecasting table - A table that, when used, displays 3-5 of Lusternia's runes and lists what positions each has been cast in. (Inverted, upside down, sideways, etc.) Mostly for asking questions and foretelling the future or past! ... sort of like the finger of fate. Maybe if you're feeling adventurous, it could reduce equilibrium loss on rune foretellings. 
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.