the Expedition - a Pokémon Mafia game. (GAME OVER. SYLANDRA WINS. TOWN WINS.)

Comments

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Unvote

Vote: Rolsand

I don't necessarily think he's scum or a third party. I just think he's a detriment to all of us. In the Shakespeare game, it was discovered that he was the Mayor (or whatever) which is pretty pro-town, so we just ignored him the rest of the game. Barring something similar happening here, I'd rather get rid of him.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Quickly vote.
  • Just as an FYI, I'm really starting to think Rolsand is a Jester. I had those leanings even before (whoever it was) posted he might be, but it's getting stronger the more he posts. Thing is, though, that if he is, I doubt the game will end if we lynch him, so I'm even considering voting for him myself. If he is a Jester, we help him fulfill his win condition, and if he isn't, well...
  • I'm not a jester.
  • I hope you guys also know that I'm both a town and third party so if you guys win I win.
  • *cough*
  • So a modified Jester role, who both wins with Town and if someone lynches him?
  • Heh sure whatever makes you happy.
  • @Ssaliss it is not unheard of. In Epic Mafia that is actually how the jester works (although in ranked he only gets half as many points if he won with town instead of the get lynched win condition)
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Sorry, Pokemon Go took over my life this weekend. I'm catching up but.. there's like 400 posts I haven't read. RIP
  • My role is eh.
  • my role is not some sort of crazy role.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    @Rolsand, I got a message, meaning I got woken up from my sleep by my Lusternia e-mail notification. Stop spamming, please. Filling up another 400 posts with nothing substantial is going to irritate me worse than waking me up. This has been your warning.

Since I'm awake, and read through this, have a Vote Count without any flavour text. If I've gotten something wrong, I'll correct it in the morning.

Vote Count:

Nobody: 2 (Kilee, Lehki)
    Rolsand: 7 (Makaela, Othero, Krackenor, Sylandra, Cen, Synkarin)

With 27 trainers alive, it's 14 to lynch.
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Honestly I'm inclined to believe he's not scum and we'd be wasting a lynch on him. When he was SK and people started to suspect him he didn't protest nearly this much. I'm gonna leave my nobody vote for now still.

Though seriously man, this isn't a chat room, just take a few minutes before you post and put everything into one thing instead of 3-4 one sentence posts.  I feel like people would be a lot less on your case if you were a little more coherent and spammy.

As I see it, right now we've got a few other things besides Rolsand's identity that we could be looking at, but the earthquake is the source of most of the confusion and accusations we've had today and I think we still need to be looking at his Sandshrew's Magnitude. I'm still not 100% convinced that's not what hit us last night. And even if it wasn't, it's still sounds like a pretty crazy ability and we should find out what we can about it before possibly letting it get in the hands somebody else. 

So @Rolsand, are you 100% sure your Magnitude can only hit Pokemon? Could you double check your role PM, or have Tremula clarify that? 
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    A Rolsand lynch would also confirm what Magnitude does, as it happens. Would also possibly answer questions about whether or not he did the quake last night, or if we should be looking for another Ground-type pokemon to scrutinize.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • So, if anyone has an Executioner power, they could lynch Rolsand. They shouldn't, though, since two people still haven't checked in.
    As for Rolsand, the most inconvenient aspect of his posting, namely, that he says things one sentence at a time, should either be fixed or replaced? Mod-killed? Either way, it shouldn't be a problem, at least for not long. 

Thus, the reasons to lynch Rolsand are: his evasiveness and terseness make him untrustworthy; he might have Magnitude, a RNG power, which is too risky to keep available; and/or that his actions like pushing for a no-lynch and other stuff marks him as scum or at least not Town. The reasons to not lynch him are that killing him might put Sandshrew, which might have Magnitude, up for someone worse to get it.

The reasons to lynch Kilee are: she has not been clear about her/her Kecleon's ability, Shadow Strike, works; she has said she has to potential to get additional Pokemon, potentially from other players or perhaps from the Champion; and/or her statement about Shadow Strike, apparently her Pokemon's ability, was blocked by the ability we are calling Earthquake. The reasons to not lynch her are: she is new and if she is Town, she might be able to get Pokemon into her own, trustworthy hands.

Krackenor and Othero are off the table, as I've already discussed. There isn't anyone else that really stands out, though if someone has information that points at someone, you should probably tell us now. As of now, Rolsand is going to be my vote.
  • KaimanahiKaimanahi The One True Queen
    Holy hell, I made it through the post frenzy.

I was able to perform my action last night, however the earthquake shifted the luggage and I suffered a nasty blow to the head - like others, I am day-blocked. Nothing else of note happened during the night.

While I share some of the reservations expressed about Rolsand's methods, I do think he has provided a lot of information and hasn't given us a significant cause for suspicion. I haven't played a lot of mafia, but with this many players and additional Pokemon powers, having a third party/Town role doesn't seem impossible. I would also say that he has taken a great (and probably unnecessary) risk by explicitly naming his Pokemon and consequently its typing. I imagine this only helps the mafia (and overeager trainers?). For the future, we should probably not reveal our Pokemon's identity unless it is necessary or distinctly advantageous, as in participating in the events. At this point in the game, there are so many other Pokemon that are able to battle, that an exposed Pokemon could probably faint or be killed in just a day. Though, the Sandshrew's magnitude ability, as described by Rolsand, won't be as helpful since its targets are random, so it wouldn't be a huge loss to us if it did come to that. RIP Sandshrew?

Also I'm not sure how lynching Rolsand will give us information about Magnitude. Won't Alec just take the abandoned Pokemon?

I'm unconvinced that we have enough information to take a vote, but I'll defer to the more versed Mafia minds as far as what to do in this situation.
    Typically when a player is lynched their role and powers and alignment are all revealed unless they've been janitor'd by the mafia, ie, their identity has been deliberately hidden upon their death. This knowledge is one reason town lynches - it gives us information to go on moving forward.

I imagine that upon death, the reveal would include the powers of the Pokemon! But, this game is very unusual, so perhaps not. :(
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • @Kaimanahi, while your attention is here. Could you please explicitly state what you had your Pokemon do, if anything? I'm assuming that your Pokemon took No Action, but I'd rather hear it from you.
    I wouldn't share powers if you used any, though. This is a bad time to roleclaim. Just "Yes my Pokemon took an action" or "No my Pokemon did not take an action."
    Daraius said:
  • Kaimanahi, are you saying quake hit you but did not block your night action? Because that sounds inconsistent with every other report we've gotten on it.

Also yeah killing Rolsand does not get us any info on Magnitude, until (and if) somebody more willing to talk gets a hold of it.  Tremula said we'll get info on deceased pokemon, not one's taken to the Champion's cabin, which is what will happen if we lynch him. We should get info out of him first, even if we do go with the lynch. 

And Magnitude is unrealiable right now when we have almost 30 people, but as our numbers dwindle it's gonna get a lot st
  • A lot stronger, god why can't I just proofread. 

Here's Tremula's comment on it
    Tremula said:
    Yes. When you receive information about a deceased person, you will have the chance to ask clarifications about their role, and deceased Pokemon will be revealed. Pokemon abandoned will not be revealed, since they are still in the game.

• Lehki, that is actually not inconsistent with everybody. Cen also used an ability in the night, and was day blocked. You were only night blocked, right?
  • @Phoebus, for some reason I don't have a record of what you did last night. If you could please state/repeat it?
    @Thul, @Iosion, @Othero, @Krackenor, @Kalaneya, @Ssaliss, @Kaimanahi have either not explicitly stated what their Pokemon did/did not do last night, or I missed your messages.
    @Luce, @Synkarin, @Salome, @Cyndarin, @Alary, and @Vivet either, similarly, haven't stated their and their Pokemon's actions/lack of actions last night, or I missed them.

If it isn't too much trouble, could you please post your actions? As of right now, I'm missing the pieces of your information, and I would really not like to either go back through 24 pages of minutiae to fill the hole. I hope that the picture that forms will be useful for everyone.
  • No I was also day blocked. Just looked back through posts and I realize now I never actually specifically stated that anywhere, sorry. Also I thought he had been night blocked too, huh. We really need to get clarification on how that ability worked.
  • No problem. And thank you for the prompt response!
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Hahaha, 160 posts and five pages I've to catch up on. This game...
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Rolsand said:
    We should start lynching unactive people and try to swipe their pokemons during an event.
    Just woke up and am catching up on the million posts that happened while I was asleep. I read this as "unattractive people" at first glance and nearly spat out my coffee, haha.

My final thoughts on the whole Rolsand thing: Gosh, Rolsand, I don't really know what to tell you. People were trying to steer away from you once you started sharing, people were made to feel awkward and backing off...it was a position to recover from. Unfortunately, you just kept running with the "hurry up and lynch me" posts. I even said after you gave us info on your ability that it was good information and I made the assumption that we'd probably let you keep going after that. Your insistence that you're dead no matter what is what's digging your grave more than anything else. :( It seems like you've given up on this game entirely at this point, if you are planning on continuing to play Mafia in the future, I think it'd be a good idea to give consideration to the points people brought up about why your playstyle makes you an easy target. I don't think it was anyone's intention to bully you or pick on you, but you have to think about it from everyone else's perspective, and maybe adjust your style to be more team-oriented so the game is more fun for you and the other players in it.

Melali said:
    @Phoebus, for some reason I don't have a record of what you did last night. If you could please state/repeat it?
    Sure thing. I stated that I did not use my Pokemon power last night, as it can only be used during the day. I didn't mention this before, but I also used my trainer action last night. Originally I was trying to be shrewd about bringing it up, but since everyone has a power in this game, I probably stand to lose more than I gain by omitting its existence from my report.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Hokay so...

@Rolsand you really are your own worst enemy here. Even after people have expressed their intent to back-off and look elsewhere, you manage to attract further votes -purely- based on your posting style. If you really want to last longer in these games, taking the advice about changing how you post would help. Forum mafia gives you the luxury of time, take your time before posting. The game is about analysing what people say but your style of posting really inhibits this and thus gets people's backs up.

But yep, I agree with @CyndarinAscends on this. We all knew his posts would be like this coming into the game. The self-contradictory, over-selling of his own importance, and incomplete stream of consciousness like posting is grating to parse, but in among it all he -has- contributed some useful and important posts. While a few things here may be red flags in other scenarios, again, this is just consistent Rolsand behaviour.

Right now, I'm willing to let him slide on fully revealing his trainer role/power since he has already given up a few points on it, and third-party/town-aligned or survivor are likely things we can expect in a game this size.

Did forget to ask one other question about Magnitude yesterday though

@Rolsand - What's the cool-down on the Magnitude ability? You said it's 5-use only, but are these free to use whenever?

----

@Makaela I think this is my first game playing with you, so it's hard to get a proper read. I don't know if your strong defensive posts on @Kilee's behalf are because she's a friend, that she's new, or that you know something the rest of us don't, (was considering whether you might be a Mason pair with her and know her to be innocent), but at this point, from my point of view I think there are significant strikes against her.

Shadow Sneak - Based on what Tremula has said about what happens to Pokemon without trainers, I'm now willing to bet on my theory of her stealing Pokemon from the Champion's car is accurate. She has said herself (and Pokebuffs, feel free to correct me) that in the games Shadow Sneak is an ability that allows the user to strike first. To me this fits with getting first choice of Pokemon that would otherwise become available in an Event. Stealing from the Champion's car however is not something I can see being reconciled with Champion-aligned.

Two Pokemon Powers - Barring anyone else coming forward and saying they also have two powers, this stands out to me like a concession to mafia-roles to make up for them being in the minority in an extremely power heavy game. It's too early for pokemon to have leveled up or evolved and gained another power.

Lack of Her Own Defense - This is something I've been wary of since I defended @Synkarin in the Reign game when he wasn't putting up much of a defense himself. She's been called on several times now to defend why she said her pokemon was the only one blocked by the earthquake, when by all accounts it looks like the quake was a trainer only block.  We also now have a likely-scenario for how she acquires pokemon that needs a counter-response.

Her only response is to ignore the calls and comment about Rolsand potentially being a jester? Come on... Come on...!!

I think it was also Makaela who said it could be even riskier to lynch Kilee, thus putting Kecleon into the Champion's Car, since her Pokemon would become available in a later event, but it's my understanding that barring theft from the car (in which case they can already steal, so moot point), these Pokemon will only become available in a trading Event and be visible to us all. We can all just agree to insta-lynch anyone who tries acquire Kecleon.

I know I said I wasn't confident enough to push the lynch on @Kilee yesterday, but I think I've now gotten my ducks in a row and am willing to bet on it.

Vote Kilee

(She's new to the forum games, I know, but rawr I'm competitive and want to win! At least this has been a highly active game!)
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    @Ushaara
    I'm definitely willing to join you on the Kilee vote depending on her response, for all the reasons you stated. I've still been waiting eagerly for her response to the continued requests for information, but was giving the benefit of the doubt and a bit of time before I poked about it again due to how clogged up and diverted the past million posts got, and the fact that she said she hadn't checked up on the thread in a while.