What are you playing?

Comments

• Dwarf Fortress

New version a couple days ago. 

Various fixes and various giant and peopled animals. I held off on common domestic animal people for now, but there are plenty of canine and feline critters that got the treatment. 

New stuff 
    --Giant and person versions of many of the older creatures, including the elephant
    --Vampire purges in world generation to control their overfeeding which was stopping cities from growing

Major bug fixes 
    --Allowed dwarves praying at temple dedicated to no particular god to choose prayer target according to need
    --Stopped adv mode goblin animals from fighting gobs and each other
    --Fixed error causing underground sewer dwellers to copy town stockpile, lag-killing certain towns
    --Stopped crash with goblet trading
    --Made retire store away merchants and diplomats and not mark visitors and residents as hostile
    --Made non-military visitors do citizenship petitions properly
    --Fixed broken merchant-elevated-to-liaison that sits at trade depot for entire life

Other bug fixes/tweaks 
    --Fixed error with building profiles causing underground bandit leaders to roam streets
    --Vampire guests of various kinds give themselves cover identities (those on-site will still be revealed in old saves)
    --Stopped some position elevation announcements from giving away vampires
    --Removed trade goods from retired sites if living merchant is still present
    --Made animals less afraid of casual relationships
    --Various animal tweaks that came up during the peopling (see file changes.txt)
    --Marked visitors correctly in site text export
    --Fixed a cause of string entry key conflicts
    --Made it list proper subregion when talking about certain adventurer rumor sites instead of subregion where speaker is standing

Update!

A zombie nerf has arrived. The animated critters no longer block, dodge, parry, wrestle or sprint, and they do charging attacks whenever possible. Zombies no longer receive positive defense adjustments for body part types, and they don't seek or prevent combat opportunities. Their strength bonus has been reduced. Severing all non-smashed heads on a zombie kills it (smashing already worked), and severing or smashing any working grasp on a headless zombie kills it. Zombies can still be reanimated if they have a working grasp. So it's a bit confusing there with the overall grasp situation on headless zombies (it's better to target their arms than their bodies if you can't smash them entirely), and they still have some undue benefits they share with wild animals (you should be able to strike or stop many unarmed attacks with weapons), but it is much better than it was. I still sometimes get those invincible unsmashable zombie heads. I'll try to figure that out. 

In an arena test, my competent sword+shield human was able to defeat ten zombies at once, receiving only minor injuries. It took some judicious selections, and some dodging to other squares, but it isn't hard if you stay away from multiple opponents. I also set six sword humans against twenty zombies, and they won without any losing anybody. On the other hand, I set ten unarmed unskilled humans against ten zombies, and the zombies won without losses. That sounds about right to me -- the zombies have many advantages in unarmed combat. So you'll have to keep your squishy civilians safe. Incidentally, one unarmed unskilled elephant person was able to kill ten human zombies without any trouble, since they have smashing power. Then an elephant person zombie was able to kill the elephant person... 

I fixed sparring as well. The cautiousness personality check got flipped around with the new facets, which wouldn't normally be a problem (just a strike frequency shift), but the new drunken dwarves were 100 percent not-cautious (which made them all 100 percent cautious in the flipped check). The roll failed every time for them, so drunken sparring partners just sat there without throwing shots. That's normally reserved for super rare pathologically deliberate dwarves absolutely on one end of the curve, and that's not even much of an issue if their partner isn't the same way.

So what the hell does that mean about zombies?

Yeah basically the way toady reasoned was as follows:

Unreasonable Zombies:
    * Zombie Leg
    * Zombie Spleen
    * Zombie Liver

Reasonable zombies:
    * Intact Corpse
    * Headless Horseman
    * Morte The Skull
    * The Disembodied Hand That Strangled People 

So he basically said 'hey, to be raised as a zombie, the target corpse needs at least one of these:
    A) A brain
    B) A grasper, like a hand or something.

He's now added the rule
    "If it had a brain, cutting the head off will kill the zombie. If it didn't have a brain, cutting off the grasper will do it."

So if you cut the head off an undead body, you'll end up with a dead headless body and a dead head. But a necromancer could still say 'ARISE!' and get a zombie head and a headless zombie.
  • Dwarf Fortress Stories

I checked out legends mode today and found multiple corpses which were revived as zombies and subsequently married other zombies. Also, the updates to vampires means that the human civilization I've been dealing with randomly accepted that their vampire law-giver was actually someone else (she convinced them all that she was actually whatever her pseudonym is now) and totes not a vampire at all, guys! My legends have a disproportionate (somewhere around 70%) number of notable warrior women of various species, many of whom were cursed by the gods for blasphemies. The dragon that beaned itself on a stone-fall trap at my fort was actually quite accomplished -- he was the very first of his kind and had murdered the hell out of the world before he met his end at Swordold.

Retiring and immediately unretiring meant that all of the mercenaries, performers, and scholars who had hired on but not become citizens left; most of the books in my fort also disappeared. A number of artifacts still show up in my fort's stocks, but I can't locate them in the fort and can't construct them (for constructable items such as thrones, etc.) or assign them (for weapons and the like in the military equip screen). No guests at the fort showed up hostile, though, so Toady really did resolve that issue.

----

I had a long-term resident become a warlord of something. They still just stuck around as a bard.

----

Combat logs are pretty funny now with all of the visiting Poets I have beating the stuffing out of each other.

With taverns now is there a way in Fortress mode to track conversations? I really want to know what started the brawl that left two goblin poets with none of their teeth and an elven musician with smashed hands.

----

Question: Is there a way to kick out poets and shit? I turned off all my locations but they still won't leave. There's so many of them.

Answer: Periodically flush out your tavern with magma.

Followup: Well, I didn't have any magma handy so I just sent in my squad of axedwarves and locked the doors. That seemed to have done the trick.

As a bonus I set corpse stockpiles along the road out of my fortress so now it's lined with human, elf, and goblin bodies

----

Can someone explain what a loyalty cascade is, exactly? I read up on it in the Wiki, but I'm still confused by it.

The reason I'm even asking is because I've currently got this situation in my Fort: a visiting Human Bard came to my Fort and ended up killing one of my citizens. However, as far as I can tell, the mechanic for visiting Vampires is bugged and doesn't show "<citizen> has been found dead and drained of blood!". I confirmed my suspicion (after reloading my save, since I lost a Legendary Dwarf to that bastard) by trapping the Vampire in my Temple and he survived for ages without needing food or water.

Now, here's where it gets weird. Whenever I order my militia to attack him, all my other dwarves go crazy and start killing each other. The second I issue the kill command and my militia gets within 10 tiles of the Vamp, all the squadmembers in the squad will try and attack each other, and all my Dwarves start killing each other too. I dropped from 65 pop to 52 in under 10 seconds.

Right now, I can't tell if this is a bug, some weird vampire / necromancer spell, or just a game mechanic I'm not well versed in. I got tired of reloading saves and trying to kill the Vampire (I tried everything, killing him in isolated locations, only sending one Dwarf up against him, no matter what I did, the outcome was the same) so I ended up convicting him of an old murder case and got him 200 days in prison, then I walled him in.

Commentary: Sounds like a cross between the 80's satanic panic and The Cask of Amontillado.

----

Caught a female and a male hydra.

They both have killed dwarves, so although they are trained they are on chains forever (they'll still attack dwarves unless that bug was fixed). I figure no big deal, I can use the hydra kids.

The 3 hydras were born trained, and promptly started massacring civilians. The hubris of dwarves...

----

Uh my tavern just exploded in violence - near as I can tell a couple humans decided to go nuts and start swinging and shooting bolts. Next thing I know the main floor is soaked in blood and an elf and a goblin poet have been killed (prejudiced humans?). Four more die before my militia can get there and restore order.

It was inevitable.

Looks like for whatever reason right when a kobold was discovered and I got the message, 8-9 humans in my tavern decided to freak out. Oh well blood for the blood god.

----

Taverns are so cool. I just got my first guest, a goblin lasher, who is listening to my tavern keeper tell a story about the expedition leader founding the fort.

----

On Loyalty Cascades

a loyalty cascade is what results from the idea that "attacking a member of the fortress makes you an enemy of the fortress" when you don't also have the rule that "becoming an enemy of the fortress means you aren't a member of the fortress"

basically:

1. urist1 punches urist2 in the nose. urist2 is a member of the fortress, so now urist1 is an enemy of the fort
    2. urist3 walks by and sees urist1. urist3 immediately proclaims: "an enemy of the fort! kill it!" and punches urist1. urist1 is a member of the fortress, so now urist3 is an enemy of the fort
    3. urist2 sees urist3. urist2 immediately proclaims: "an enemy of the fort! kill it!" and punches urist3. urist3 is a member of the fortress, so now urist2 is an enemy of the fort
    4. urist4 walks by and sees urist2. urist4 immediately proclaims: "an enemy of the fort! kill it!" and punches urist2. urist2 is a member of the fortress, so now urist4 is an enemy of the fort

also

Know how World War One started? One asshole blew up an Archduke, and all hell broke loose because everyone in Europe had treaties to join in any wars. Loyalty cascades work the same way--in Dwarf Fortress, if your friend is involved in a fight, you join in that fight immediately. So if you send seven dwarves to fight a vampire, and one of them likes the vampire, the instant anyone in the squad is within eyesight of the vampire (which initiates combat) everyone who likes the vampire or thinks it might not be an enemy attacks the dwarf who saw it first, then everyone who likes THAT dwarf immediately attacks the dwarves attacking your unlucky spotters, then everyone who likes any of the dwarves who liked the dwarves who attacked the vampire lover join in, yadda yadda yadda sudden total war.

----

A giant mushroom destroyed my constructed floor, stranding my legendary miner in the first cavern. He was content to sit in the new well channel as it was flooding.

----

This dwarven mountain academy shit is so precious oh my god.  I'm getting scholars from all over and splurting their ideas about pulleys and tidal forces into my fresh quires, now I've just got to get them copied out while they're all busy debating foraging behavior.

• edited December 2015
    Sylandra said:
    From a measly Count, I haven risen to a Duke in Scotland in Crusader Kings II. Playing House Stewart looking at House Dunkeld like,
    Coming for your Scottish crown, dudes.
    Good...good, my apprentice. Use your aggressive feelings. Let the hate flow through you (and kill all your offspring but your genius son)
  • Replaying This War Of Mine. It's got mods now.

Also, people should play it. Or at least buy it. But really, play it.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Currently 66% off on Steam!
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    edited January 2016
    I've passed 600 hours on Crusader Kings 2 and just bought the Charlemagne and Old Gods DLC.

Started as the af Munsö dynasty in Sweden area, the father of the (mythical) Ragnarr Lodbrok. I united most of Scandanavia as the father of Ragnarr, but as Ragnarr, I formed the Empire. My son, Ivar the Boneless inherited the Empire that Ragnarr had built and some extra Russian lands because I took a Russian Concubine that usurped Novgorod. I was going to start a holy war in England, like history, but I sort of just walked into half of these Russian lands and started to clean up my borders. 

Also, an heir of the Byzantine Empire came to me looking for reinforcements to take back his throne. I forced him to marry my daughter matrilineally and sponsored his attempt... he won, however, my daughter and their children converted to Christianity, so my family rules from Constantinople.

After a 100 years:
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
  • edited January 2016
    Huh. There is a Warhammer mod that's been released for almost a year. 

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    @Silvanus color me impressed. :O
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • EU4/CK2 aka map painting simulator
  • The amount of console gamers scares me
  • edited January 2016
    I enjoy Paradox games. EU4, CK2, but especially Victoria 2.

I'm a big strategy person with stuff like Distant Worlds, Dorf Fortress, and Age of Wonders 3. Those two are primarily what I've been playing lately outside of coding stuff for my return to Lusternia.
  • edited January 2016

If you don't have it already, Darkest Dungeon is approaching finished status.  It was very playable in the early access beta in March 2015 and is even better now. 

Reviews:

It is however, a game built around managing failure and making the best of a terrible situation. Not everyone finds this fun. 

Check out the gameplay to see if you would enjoy it. Critics love it. 

Just remember...

imageimage
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I've been playing Final Fantasy: Record Keeper lately. I think I mentioned it earlier in passing.

Imagine a phone game with 90% of the protagonists (and some of the antagonists) of all of the Final Fantasy games. There's a semi-linear set of battles to fight, and you can mix and match a five-person team from characters you can win/capture in battles. If you enjoyed Brave Frontier-type games, this is a decent play. I'm tinkering with my team right now, but I tend to run DK Cecil, Paladin Cecil, Lenna (FFV), Sephiroth, and Zidane.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    For Darkest Dungeon, I'd recommend reading the more recent reviews. I enjoy the game, but there are reasons not to as well.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    I've finally been working on Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth. I've had the DLC since it came out, but never had the urge to sit down and play it extensively until recently. Gotta unlock all the things.

Shaddus said:
    I've been playing Final Fantasy: Record Keeper lately. I think I mentioned it earlier in passing.

Imagine a phone game with 90% of the protagonists (and some of the antagonists) of all of the Final Fantasy games. There's a semi-linear set of battles to fight, and you can mix and match a five-person team from characters you can win/capture in battles. If you enjoyed Brave Frontier-type games, this is a decent play. I'm tinkering with my team right now, but I tend to run DK Cecil, Paladin Cecil, Lenna (FFV), Sephiroth, and Zidane.
    My brother has been trying to get me to play this, but my phone is garbage and can't handle it, haha. I'm due an upgrade soonish, once that finally happens I'll probably be on this. (C-can you get Rydia and Quistis?)
    Yes on Rydia, but it's technically only the younger one. Quistis...I think you can. I don't personally have her.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • We need to teach Kaalak about forum spoilers.
    Shaddus said:
    Yes on Rydia, but it's technically only the younger one. Quistis...I think you can. I don't personally have her.
    No older Rydia? Aw. Time to just hope I get Quistis when I play, I guess.  :D 
    edited January 2016
    Well, it's not really too much of an issue beyond cosmetics, due to how the game handles characters. Each character can attack, defend, and has a limit-break sort of attack they can do. Then, they can equip two abilities. You build the spells/skills, and assign them how you wish with each character having (generally) only a certain set of skills they can use. For instance, a black mage may be able to use up to 5* black magic and 2* summons. A ninja may be able to use 2* Black Magic, 5* Spellsword (like Firestrike, Bio Strike), and so on.

So if there were an Older Rydia, the only differences would probably be loss of white magic, and gain of higher black magic and summon usage.
    Shaddus said:
    Well, it's not really too much of an issue beyond cosmetics, due to how the game handles characters. Each character can attack, defend, and has a limit-break sort of attack they can do. Then, they can equip two abilities. You build the spells/skills, and assign them how you wish with each character having (generally) only a certain set of skills they can use. For instance, a black mage may be able to use up to 5* black magic and 2* summons. A ninja may be able to use 2* Black Magic, 5* Spellsword (like Firestrike, Bio Strike), and so on.

So if there were an Older Rydia, the only differences would probably be loss of white magic, and gain of higher black magic and summon usage.
    Rest assured, my desire for older Rydia is purely cosmetic.  ;))
  • With these games, the best ones are the ones where you can go for the cosmetic options without sacrificing too much gameplay.

Back to topic: I'm still slowly working through Zestiria. I forgot how much of a grindfest Tales games can be, but well, at least the comedy is good in this game.

• edited January 2016
    Whenever my internet is unstable (pretty much always, lately), I've been turning to Creeper World. It satisfies my strategy itch.

The closest genre it fits into might be "tower defense", I suppose, but it's really unique. And it has endless replayability. Even without the custom maps the community creates, which are definitely fun, there are literally several million maps included with each game. It's not a terrible story in campaign mode, either.

Mayor Steingrim, the Grand Schema says to you, "Well, as I recall you kinda leave a mark whereever you go."
  • 3 weapons away from the Hunter's Essence trophy in Bloodborne.

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Lately I have been playing something long overdue. I find myself filled with Determination!
  • Luce said:
    Lately I have been playing something long overdue. I find myself filled with Determination!
    I know this is a bit weird given where I'm posting this, but I cannot bring myself to play games with old school art styles like this.
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Quick question, if I want to go play a game where I can roleplay as a throat-rippy shapeshifter struggling to contain the aforementioned throat-rips, but with the option open should I want to vent guilt free, does anyone have a suggestion?

Alternately, does anyone know a decent game for venting as the above throat-rippy weresomething?
  • TurnusTurnus The Big Bad Wolf
    I believe Pillars of Eternity has shape shifting Druids (and can be as jerkish or non-jerkish as you want!). Also dragon age origins had shapeshifting as well on the mages. One of the main quests lets you pick between recruiting werewolves or elves into your army. They're both RPGs and a bit on the slow side with tactical combat.

~--------------**--------------~

The original picture of Turnus is still viewable here, again by Feyrll.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Can't you Skyrim as a werewolf? Tons of mods available, too.
  • I think Werewolfs are in the vanilla
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Lots of DOTA 2 lately. I decided to start playing ranked and you have to do 10 test matches before they rank you. I was at a 60% win rate until this....I've now lost 7 games in a row. WOO.