General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• Sylandra said:
    Daraius said:
    FRIDAY THE 13TH
    This explains so much about today.
    I had a really good day. I didn't listen to any news shows/radio etc. I got up called in about wher ei was working actually talked to a gu y who answered my questions, Then managed to not only stay up but get up soon enough that I could get on the road and get a bite to eat and still get to work on time., barely but I wasn't the last one there and they didn't count me as late, which is what matters. Then I had a really cool gig(operating the press elevator at a trio of peewee football games in the big college stadium). Had a really cool supervisor who made sure I wasn't stuff doing the bathroom dance. The client and patrons were all relaxed and cool. Only not that cool thing was the pizza they shoved off on us was a veggie supreme thingy. So I'll give that to my brother.

That being said, my heart and prayers do go out to those who suffered loss and hearteache today...

FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• I'm praying this is poison ivy and not bed bugs, but I'm going insane with the itching.

• KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited November 2015
    EXTREMELY pissed off with the unionised lecturers at the uni I went to until recently - I received an email from the uni today basically saying that the lecturers have gone on strike and because there is no lectures left due to being end of semester, they are instead refusing to enter our end-of-semester marks into the system so we can see if we passed or not, effectively holding our results to ransom.

Yes, I get that they want a 'more fair increase in their pay' but there's some things you just don't do - particularly drag in people that are not involved in the bloody matter to try to guilt your employers over it.
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • Yeah that's bullshit. I've never heard of STEM professionals doing that. Dereliction of duty. Vile.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    On the other hand, at least in the United States, lecturers/professors are now being treated so poorly, grossly underpaid and overworked, that I can see how a strike would happen.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    Windows keep phoning me to tell me I have viruses on my computer, but so far, they have been unable to tell me which of my two laptops is he one with the viruses. Alas.

I hate Windows 8.

• Qistrel said:
    Windows keep phoning me to tell me I have viruses on my computer, but so far, they have been unable to tell me which of my two laptops is he one with the viruses. Alas.

I hate Windows 8.
    I... can't tell if serious.
    I'm Lucidian. If I don't get pedantic every so often, I might explode.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm pretty sure Qistrel isn't stupid.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Honestly, the first time I got phoned a few years ago, I didn't realise, but I was like, 'Which computer?' and they got all confused and hung up. And then I was like 'Ohhh.'

I am serious about hating Windows 8. I don't like the programs that take up all the screen and you can't change their size (unless I'm missing something) so I can't do stuff while keeping half an eye on Lusternia.

• edited November 2015
    Everiine said:
    On the other hand, at least in the United States, lecturers/professors are now being treated so poorly, grossly underpaid and overworked, that I can see how a strike would happen.

On the other hand you've never taught college students in a University setting have you. Don't be a pedantic contrarian if you've never done it. Their duty is to their students and they know it. (Its really grants but *ahem*). You dont f*** students and you dont f*** with students. F*** them. Edit: I know its (workload,payment,insurance, etc) shit from multiple collegues. Not a single one would do this. Even when the AFLCIO starts knocking on the apartment doors owned by these people to "talk" or "drop off information" when their children are inside; or show up in a lab unannounced.
    edited November 2015
    In South Africa, university students protest by setting buildings on fire.

Actually, pretty much everyone protests by setting things on fire. The trains are running late? Set them on fire. This is why our president built a luxury swimming pool emergency fire pool in his mansion.

And yet, I still love this place.

• @Qistrel  Most of the things I hated about Windows 8.1 were changed with Windows 10 - namely the fullscreen applications.

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Shittily paid college TA (who is still somehow paid better than an adjunct despite her aforementioned shitty pay) weighing in.

Students are awesome. Universities are what suck. Half the time the university is screwing both the instructor and the student over. The TAs and professors I know are sympathetic to students in that way, and many of them have actively supported student protests. Friend of mine teaches at Mizzou actually and while I'm terrified for her, I'm proud of what she and her students accomplished. Instructors tend to put students first at great personal cost in terms of time and, sometimes, their own safety.

I would never protest in a way that put my students in that situation, but I can see how that would put pressure on an institution. They don't listen to you unless your protest affects their reputation or their financial resources. This wouldn't be as successful where I am because my students by and large work to pay off their tuition as they attend school; however I imagine the bigger and more prestigious the university, the more likely it is an angry and powerful parent will call in and demand their student gets their grade, and threaten to withhold donations or what have you. It's unfair, but that does spur universities to act. Unfortunately we have very few avenues of influence.

I'm sorry this is happening to you and to universities around the U.S. (And the world I suspect.)
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Everiine said:
    There are still sections where things don't render and align correctly, where it still looks like a botched amateur job. IRE did not do their research when they imposed this design on all the games. Lusternia was doing just fine with its website until then.
    If you come across any weird things with the website, please BUG it and I will take a look and see if it is something I can fix.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    edited November 2015
    The logic behind it isn't terrible. I move faster when things catch on fire. Why would't trains? Other than the whole flaming deathball on railroad tracks but whatever.

edit: WHY ARE FORUMS QUOTES SO BAD
    edited November 2015
    I was ranked 2nd in the region (around 30 associates) and 4th in the division (around 60 associates), I was ranked first in total profit and first in cashout (which is the ratio of applications turned into profit dollars). So naturally you would think they'd pay me more. Right?! 

No. They took goal from underperforming associates and gave it to me. Now those underperforming associates are having a fantastic month where as I am in the shitter. Because it's November and no one buys cars in November, so I literally have no way to make up the extra goal. I just get a shitty check because reasons. 

Did I mention our regional manager makes more if two associates are at 100% than if I was at 130% and the shitty associate was at 70%? So she benefits at my expense. That's cool though. 

Corporate America is some bullshit.
  • Hmm. Celina if I were you I'd start documenting what is going on. Specifically dates/times of meeting, who was present, who communicate what to you, who is getting raise/promotion when, etc.. You already know, but as a reminder, don't mention that you are documenting it. It is your right and you are simply taking notes to improve performance. This situation seems...unusual? Sincerely, best of luck.
  • I want a cigarette really fucking badly.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
    Kaalak said:
    Hmm. Celina if I were you I'd start documenting what is going on. Specifically dates/times of meeting, who was present, who communicate what to you, who is getting raise/promotion when, etc.. You already know, but as a reminder, don't mention that you are documenting it. It is your right and you are simply taking notes to improve performance. This situation seems...unusual? Sincerely, best of luck.
    It's actually company policy to allow goal adjustments like this, and seeing how goals are moved is available information if you know when and where to look. They don't make a great deal of effort to hide it. 

So there's no recourse. If you bring it up, they tell you that it's a mechanism in place to promote fairness. IDFK.
  • Then I wish you good luck and I'll shut up. :)
  • Uncertainty about the future is the worst. Forget having a sense of adventure, I just want to know where we're going to end up in the next three months and stop going around in circles in my mind wondering, "What if? What if?"
    Avatar created by the amazing Feyrll.
  • KagatoKagato Auckland, New Zealand
    edited November 2015
    Kagato said:

EXTREMELY pissed off with the unionised lecturers at the uni I went to until recently - I received an email from the uni today basically saying that the lecturers have gone on strike and because there is no lectures left due to being end of semester, they are instead refusing to enter our end-of-semester marks into the system so we can see if we passed or not, effectively holding our results to ransom.

Yes, I get that they want a 'more fair increase in their pay' but there's some things you just don't do - particularly drag in people that are not involved in the bloody matter to try to guilt your employers over it.
    I should probably mention since a number of replies mention usa universities and lecturers - I live in New Zealand and my rant is regarding an NZ university, which typically pay their lecturers fairly well.

In any case, there is nothing I personally can do about the matter, so I spent last night relieving stress by beating the stuffing out of Ganondorf repeatedly in Hyrule Warriors. :p
    Never put passion before principle.  Even if you win, you lose.

If olive oil comes from olives, where does baby oil come from?

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    How well? Asking for a friend.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Zelda is the answer to all life's troubles.

• Celina said:

Corporate America is some bullshit.
    Non-profit America also blows. For 8 months I've worked as a temp at a DC nonprofit, For six of those months I've essentially been a project manager. You'd think they'd hire me, right?

Right?

HAHAHAHAHA NO. it's easier for them to dangle me along as a contract employee instead of taking me on full time and paying me what I'm worth.
  • Wow, just wow.

Like... this customer is completely useless with computers. Somehow completely incapable of reading what's on the screen in front of her unless it's completely irrelevant to what we're doing. She doesn't click on the things she's asked to, or she'll click onto it and immediately click onto something else so that she can't follow what she's being asked to do.

Or she'll say that she's done what I've asked her to and then says "oh no, I didn't do that" after she starts reading out a screen of stuff that just doesn't make sense.

My favourite is when she reads something off the screen, I ask her to click on it, and she's like "Where is that?"

And then she complains because it's taking a while because she won't follow instructions.
  • Insists that the computer isn't working, when I was actually able to log in everything is working fine. Tells me that, "oh no there isn't a little box on the screen now. But there is this little box on the screen now"
  • I have health and dental insurance through the marketplace.  I paid for dental all year and never used it, so I want to cancel it WITHOUT cancelling my health.  So I called, got transferred 3 times before I ended up with a girl who said that I don't have dental on my health plan and I said correct, I pay for them separately, so when she searched, she said she couldn't find my dental anywhere.  She wasn't happy when I asked for her name and number - I guess she thought I'd call her back.  Nope!  When I start getting shit on for not cancelling this, guess whose name I'm pointing at for screwing up!  So frustrating.

edited November 2015
    Saran said:
    Wow, just wow.

Like... this customer is completely useless with computers. Somehow completely incapable of reading what's on the screen in front of her unless it's completely irrelevant to what we're doing. She doesn't click on the things she's asked to, or she'll click onto it and immediately click onto something else so that she can't follow what she's being asked to do.

Or she'll say that she's done what I've asked her to and then says "oh no, I didn't do that" after she starts reading out a screen of stuff that just doesn't make sense.

My favourite is when she reads something off the screen, I ask her to click on it, and she's like "Where is that?"

And then she complains because it's taking a while because she won't follow instructions.
    I helped too many people in  my office with their computer issues and now they act like I'm discount IT. We had this old lady get hired and someone sent her to me because she couldn't figure out how to use Outlook. I explained to her that her company provided email account is firstname.lastname@nameofourcompany.com.

Her next question was why firstname.lastname didn't work. Your first and last name. "Oh, well why didn't you say that?" [-O<

Moral of the story: you're brave and I don't envy your job at all.