Class recommendations?

So it's been a few years and most the information you can find (I'm assuming) is outdated with all the overhauls. 

What's generally considered 'top tier' now days? I'd prefer to be able to hold my own against anyone 1v1 but it sounds like the majority of pk is groups so that'll probably be my main focus. 

Doesn't really matter how complicated the class is to me or if the bashing is good. Probably won't hunt much outside the initial push.

Comments

• Each flavor of class is vastly different. Are you drawn to a certain city or commune? 
  • Vecanamu said:
    So it's been a few years and most the information you can find (I'm assuming) is outdated with all the overhauls. 

What's generally considered 'top tier' now days? I'd prefer to be able to hold my own against anyone 1v1 but it sounds like the majority of pk is groups so that'll probably be my main focus. 

Doesn't really matter how complicated the class is to me or if the bashing is good. Probably won't hunt much outside the initial push.
    <--- Shaddus

Seems like I remember you being a Geomancer, but I may be wrong. Mag can always use melders, unless you're starting over somewhere.
    Her voice firm and commanding, Terentia, the Even Bladed says to you, "You have kept your oath to Me, Parhelion. You have sworn to maintain Justice in these troubled times."

Yet if a boon be granted me, unworthy as I am, let it be for a steady hand with a clear eye and a fury most inflaming.
  • Hi Shaddus. 

I remember you! I was and still am a geomancer But in probably going to start over at least enough to use to the game again.
  • Vecanamu said:
    Hi Shaddus. 

I remember you! I was and still am a geomancer But in probably going to start over at least enough to use to the game again.
    Welcome back!

In order of activity (and this is probably just my opinion), Mag is at the top, then probably Gaudi, then maybe Glomdoring and Serenwilde. Celest and Hallifax are moderately active but seem to have an opposing activity during the day to the other groups. 

Melders are always good, and the new melds are..well, different. Bards are still about the same, monks are pretty strong. Warriors and other classes are generally the same as when you were here.
    Her voice firm and commanding, Terentia, the Even Bladed says to you, "You have kept your oath to Me, Parhelion. You have sworn to maintain Justice in these troubled times."

Yet if a boon be granted me, unworthy as I am, let it be for a steady hand with a clear eye and a fury most inflaming.
  • If you're starting over as a new character and specifically want to do well in PK/group combat, we have Ninjakari as still solid if you're able to get in touch with a friendly current Ninjakari who's skilled in it (Zagreus, Thalkros, Malarious), Axelord warriors (Necromancy ones like Melech do very well, but Axelord is overall currently a great warrior subtype), Researcher (or any Hallifax class if you're active with their PKers, as Hallifax classes have the best synergy overall in the game right now), or Bard of any type (though you will be targeted second after melders). Moondancers/Shadowdancers are also really good for combat, as well as Wyrdenwood/Wildewood if you're willing to become familiar with them; the city versions, 'chems, are not quite on the same tier.

Melders are always useful, but you may not get kills yourself with one. There are only a few classes that I think are still quite frustrating to play in combat, which are Celestine (subpar to Nihilist killstrats in Sacraments v. Necromancy, Celestialism still fine), Nunchaku (though I think Drastrath has been getting it fixed) and non-axelord warriors (particularly cavalier, who struggle with getting kills due to slow build of their kill method).
  • edited September 2020
    I agree with Parhelion and Neladahi on much of their assessments. 

Activity: 
    Glom/Celest/Halli is more active throughout the EST late nights and early mornings. 

Mag/Seren/Gaude is more active at most other times. 

I honestly believe that most classes can be good. Every explanation that I come up with will likely be flawed, but I will try my best to give as close to an accurate depiction as possible. Also, sometimes being on the most active side means you won't have enemies to fight. 

Group Combat for 4 or less (Unlikely to sheer damage kill). 
    Top Tier: 
    Bard's (Lack mobility, can be countered, speed of kill is awesome, high target prio)
    Mages/Druida (Melds help so much, but you will be targeted)

Mid Tier:
    Unstacked Monk(Will likely have time to build hemo to get kill, more hinder than Guardian.)
    Guardian/Wicca (Around same kill time as monk, more utility than monk.)

Bottom:
    Warrior (Slow but not useless) 

Group Combat (5+ damage kills become the meta)
    Top:
    Warrior (Massive damage for cheap on most abilities.)
    Bard's ( Nice damage. Fast enough to matter) 
    Zarakido Monk (I'm biased. Hinder and massive burst damage)

Middle
    Mages/druids (Can be popped and elementals can be targeted.)
    Non-z monks( hinder, damage, and helps to stack. Little utility outside of yank (ninjakari) and stealth.)
    Guardian/Wicca (beckon)

Edit: Phone + forum = hard
  • Well thank you for the information that actually helps a ton.

Decisions, decisions.  :)