Very Vanilla Mafia - The Game Thread [Town Victory]

Comments

• @Weiwae if I hadn't used my power I wouldn't have survide to 'later in the game'

• PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Weiwae said:
     11 town, likely means 4 scum and 2 third party

(Psst, your math is off. This is a 16 player game, that adds up to 17.)
  • Arix said:
    @Weiwae if I hadn't used my power I wouldn't have survide to 'later in the game'

Yes, I was lamenting the mob mentality that caused us to use up a useful ability just to prove someone's innocence. I wasn't criticising you for using it.
  • TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    I possess a double vote as my only power. No activation required, always on. So I'm as good as two of you vote wise. I'm town, period dot. I tend to play a bit erratic to get people squirming, see what shakes out, then back off. I still think kistan gives off a scummy vibe. I've been advocating a lynch the entire time. I'm leaving my votes where they are, shy of an investigator claiming, which would be moronic.

If I wanted to be scummy with it, I would've waited to vote until it would've been a guaranteed lynch to knock out a "townie".
    Alternatively, we're I scum, I would've ended the day. Just saying.
  • I'd eat my boots if Kistan is scum. I'm persuaded that pointing at people is effective at getting information and agree that Tarkenton is a bit too keen for random people to die.

Vote Tarkenton
  • I mean Unvote;Vote Tarkenton
  • Double vote for mafia with these lynch rules sounds mean, so that's a reasonable town power (based on little). I'm going to Unvote till I've woken up properly and thought this through.
  • Oh, and the reason I believe Kistan is that it looks like his thought process followed mine (apart from the being visited reasoning). I still don't really get why a lynch at the early stage with no info is better than no lynch, from the risk of hitting town. Apart from the point about killing non participants. I'm fine with that.
  • So I'm going to Vote Yomoigu unless he says something.

Sorry for stream of consciousness!
  • Phoebus said:
    Weiwae said:
     11 town, likely means 4 scum and 2 third party

(Psst, your math is off. This is a 16 player game, that adds up to 17.)
    Blah, I had just woken up. I meant 4 scum and 1 third party.
  • Tarkenton said:
    Alternatively, we're I scum, I would've ended the day. Just saying.
    If your only power is a double vote, how would you have ended the day? Or do you mean you would have voted no lynch?  Why would you have voted no lynch if you were scum?  It would only help if we were about to lynch one of your fellow mafiosos.
    Guilty until proven innocent, I love it. I mean I would've voted no lynch once we were at the threshold to getting it. That'd be far more advantageous for mafia, I'd think, than having my passive show up during the day.

But hey, vote what you will. I've made my defense, and who knows, maybe you'll be able to massage some information out of killing me later. I'm going to bed :)
  • Dys said:
     I still don't really get why a lynch at the early stage with no info is better than no lynch, from the risk of hitting town. Apart from the point about killing non participants. I'm fine with that.

I know - an early lynch makes no sense

16 people, 4 mafia, 25% chance of killing mafia

Kill town by mistake

15 people, 4 mafia, well the chance of killing mafia has gone up now to 27%. If there was justification last time, there is even more now. And so the slippery journey starts...

• Your numbers should be 16 people, 11 town.  69% chance of killing town.

kill town.   1 dies in the night.

14 people, 9 town.  64% chance of killing town.

Still, not very good odds.

The main benefit of lynching at this point is learning new information that helps us. For example, we know there are 11 town, so we know the odds better.
  • VivetVivet , of Cows and Crystals
    Vote Count

No Lynch <- Lehki, Othero, Eldanien (3)
    Tremula <- Arix (1)
    Kistan <- Sylandra, Tarkenton, Phoebus, Shaddus (5)
    Tarkenton <- Silvanus, Weiwae, Kistan (3)
    Yomoigu <- Dys (1)

(I should be home before the day ends again, but Mondays have a very real chance of keeping me late - do bear this in mind.)
  • @Kistan, lynching anyone generally gives us information which we can then use to nudge us one direction or another with regards to players' previous actions and posts.  As strange as it may sound, lynching town is not ALL bad.  The mafia have the knowledge advantage and there's room for argument that it's better to lynch a townie than not to lynch at all, because you then know for certain whether someone was town or not, and gives you firm information with which to support your guesswork.

@Tarkenton, I'm not sure your arguments against being scum are very compelling.  If I were scum with doublevote passive, I would DEFINITELY not be the last vote on Vote: Nobody or a Vote: Townie so early on in the game, but that line of thinking wanders dangerously close to WIFOM.

I'm going to join @Dys on a Unvote, Vote: Yomoigu because we have too many people lying low and my hunch is that percentage for scum would be higher there.

• I have no particular opinion on who to vote for at this time, though I highly doubt that Tarkenton is scum with a double vote passive.

Vote: No Lynch

• SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Weiwae said:
    Arix said:
    @Weiwae if I hadn't used my power I wouldn't have survide to 'later in the game'

Yes, I was lamenting the mob mentality that caused us to use up a useful ability just to prove someone's innocence. I wasn't criticising you for using it.
    Ok I'm going to disagree for a moment here. You did not have to use your power, Arix. I prodded you for lack of voting and posting. You decided using a power was the best way to defend yourself. Did it work? Sure! However. All I wanted was to shake you into being more engaged. So don't blame your early power use on me, because it was not the only way out of your lynch train.

(That said I think it was a really handy thing to know this early so I don't think it was a bad move at all.)
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    Kistan said:
    Dys said:
     I still don't really get why a lynch at the early stage with no info is better than no lynch, from the risk of hitting town. Apart from the point about killing non participants. I'm fine with that.

I know - an early lynch makes no sense

16 people, 4 mafia, 25% chance of killing mafia

Kill town by mistake

15 people, 4 mafia, well the chance of killing mafia has gone up now to 27%. If there was justification last time, there is even more now. And so the slippery journey starts...

So, basically, don't do anything until role claims and night action reveals. Really? That's a horrible strategy.
  • So I was doing some research and while a double voter as scum sometimes exists it's a really powerful ability, and based on my own role I don't think such an overpowered role exists.  So I'm going to unvote.  

I'm not convinced that lynching Kistan who has been active and apologized is a good idea. I'm more willing to lynch lurkers or those not participating much.
  • I didn't use the ability to stop the lynch train, I used because I figured if I was going to get lynch I might as well use the power. Either it went off and I got lynched, but you still got relevant and helpful data, or the lynch train stopped and you focused on people who might actually be scum
  • I too am going to unvote, vote: No Lynch on Weiwae's advice there though it may be too late to save my skin. How long now?

Keep quiet, but no too quiet, no musing aloud - though it did get conversation started
  • It ends about 3am UK time (9pm CST) if we don't reach a majority before then.
  • @sylandra I didn't actually point a finger at you, I was more pointing at the people who hopped on the lynch train because of my supposed lack of participation. I didn't have any night actions or messages, I was trying to figure out what was going on by doing some watching, maybe pick up a pattern. I said as much, people still wanted to lynch so I said 'screw it I'mma use my power before I get hit by mob mentality or something'. I hate when I play mafia as a power, and then don't get to actually use the power. And if it stopped the train, or didn't and town got the information I wanted it to have via a combination of the power message and the post lynch role exposure, then fantastic
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    I am still in favor of no lynch over lynching Kistan. I would say I'm 60% in favor of no lynch over lynching Tarkenton, and I will change my vote when I get to a computer to reflect that (which will be before day ends) 
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    It's not so much missing aloud as it is that's just bad strategy. If town is inactive, it loses. Assuming we're talking about mafia, serial killer and a vig, we could be looking at three deaths at night. Which is in ideal based on the information we can get during the day.

Worst case scenario, we go down to twelve people next day. On the one hand, lots of information revealed. On the other, much in luck and we could get to a point where we can throw the game. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

As far as lurkers go, we have Celina, Shaddus, Yomo. Celina having pride is, I hate to say it, a great cover and great excuse to coast through a day phase as mafia. Yomo's just been quiet. Shaddus has had zero substance to his posts. Which could just be being Shaddus.

Others who I'd say are suspicious in my book are the obvious Kistan, Tremula, and Othero. You know my reasons for Kistan. Trem and Othero have done some posting with a bit more substance than Shaddus, but not much.

And I'm always suspicious of Sylandra, because she plays these games masterfully.
    The typos are real. I hate phone keyboard. Just infer what the real words should be.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    unvote

I'm not a lurker, I just don't have anything to add. I don't think Kistan is a scum, and I've already said that in an earlier post. I think it's a bit too early to pick up any real scum tells from anyone.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Vote: Kistan

I just wanted to show that my vote was a single vote, and that's been pretty established at this point.

I think it's safe to say we have 4 scum and 1 third party. Third party could be anything from survivor to serial killer and in general wouldn't be a blow to town to lose.

That pushes our chances to roughly 31% of getting a good lynch. 

If there is a big reason why we shouldn't be voting for Kistan other than "I don't believe he is scum" now is the time to say it.