What are you playing?

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    The only Tales game I've ever player was amazingly addictive. I'll have to try this one out.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    edited January 2016
    Tales of the Abyss is my favorite despite it having a kind of dark plot, but Symphonia is the one that got me hooked. I think the ending you get kind of determines just how much you enjoy it (of course I picked the most miserably depressing one ever and no regrets), but it's a fun ride and the characters, I think, are really endearing.

I like Tales of Vesperia too, even though I never did finish that one (didn't own an X-box, was mooching). I felt it had the best protagonist, but if you took a break from it sometimes, you wound up forgetting what your current quest was and why you were doing it.

Tales of Xillia is very pretty, but it's really hard for me to support the main female protagonist, Maxwell. She just rubbed me completely the wrong way. The storyline though is intriguing!

Edit: I really, really love the way combat works in those games though. You can play as just about anyone on your team, and I found out to my surprise and delight I had much more fun as the caster than I did as a hack/slasher. That made the game more fun for me personally, since I prefer turn-based bide-your-time strategies over 'hit buttons until it's dead.'
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
    I wanna say the one I played was tales of destiny on the psx.

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
    Oooh, haven't played that one! Good to know you liked it. :D
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Although I liked the game a lot when it first came out, I tried replaying Tales of Symphonia last year and couldn't get into it at all, which is a shame because I do have fond memories of playing it. And I definitely may have had a bit of a crush on Zelos when I was 14. Granted, I initially thought he was a woman from the opening cinematic and was a little disappointed to learn he was male later but WHATEVER, STILL PRETTY.
  • Amatuers. The best Tales game is Phantasia, the first Tales game.

The steam ports for the Tales games are fairly good. Well, is. There's been only one port so far. I only bought Zestiria, however, because I didn't have a console to play it on.

• CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Sins of a Solar Empire is pretty fun.

The Star Wars mod is fantastic .
    edited January 2016
    Phoebus said:
    Although I liked the game a lot when it first came out, I tried replaying Tales of Symphonia last year and couldn't get into it at all, which is a shame because I do have fond memories of playing it. And I definitely may have had a bit of a crush on Zelos when I was 14. Granted, I initially thought he was a woman from the opening cinematic and was a little disappointed to learn he was male later but WHATEVER, STILL PRETTY.

Ha! I was a Kratos fangirl because of teenage angst reasons.

Daraius said:
    mmm. Philia Felice.image
  • SilvanusSilvanus The Sparrowhawk
    Celina said:
    Sins of a Solar Empire is pretty fun.

The Star Wars mod is fantastic .

What is this sorcery? Did you get rebellion or the original? I'm at work but when I am home I'll see if I still have it.
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    edited January 2016
    Rebellion. 

It's the interregnum mod. I watched a couple youtube videos and was like I NEED NOW. 

There's also Ascendancy:

And Sins of a Galactic Empire:

Celina said:
    Rebellion. 

It's the interregnum mod. I watched a couple youtube videos and was like I NEED NOW. 

There's also Ascendancy:

And Sins of a Galactic Empire:

75% off! Count me in!
    2014/04/19 01:38:01 - Leolamins drained 2000000 power to raise Silvanus as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2014/07/23 05:01:29 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Munsia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:07 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Arimisia as a Vernal Ascendant.
    2015/05/24 06:03:58 - Silvanus drained 2000000 power to raise Lavinya as a Vernal Ascendant.
    But then I see XCom 2 is coming out soon...
  • edited January 2016

Silvanus said:
    But then I see XCom 2 is coming out soon...
    This.

I absolutely love XCOM. One of my criticisms with Enemy Unknown is that, after awhile, it felt like the same game. I also had a lot of difficulties with allowing one of the sixteen sponsor countries to succumb to the aliens because once they did, that was it for them. You couldn't get them back.

It feels like with XCOM 2, that problem is gone. You can get countries back that have been taken from you by the aliens and ADVENT. I also like the idea of having lost Enemy Unknown and that Earth has been under occupation for 20 years. Therefore, XCOM is an insurgency force fighting against ADVENT (the face of the aliens on Earth) and the aliens themselves. It's like a mixture of Jagged Alliance and XCOM. Not to mention, with Dark Events and the aliens actively working towards their own goals, I feel like I'm fighting an organic force rather than just responding to random abductions across the globe or terror missions.

I will seriously miss Michael McCann's music, however, as he did the original music for XCOM: Enemy Unknown and it was absolutely amazing. This was the same guy who did the music for Splinter Cell: Double Agent and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Given that XCOM 2 is heavily moddable, I will likely be putting XCOM: Enemy Unknown's music into XCOM 2 for those sweet, sweet memories of watching my soldiers die horribly or panic'ing and shooting their best friend in the back.

On another note, I'd like to add some of you into my character pool for XCOM 2. If you'd like to be added, just give me your first name, last initial or last name (so I can make up a random last name with that latter) and a nickname relating to your title in Lusternia. I'll add you to my character pool so you can show up as a random soldier in the resistance, a scientist, engineer, VIP, or alien collaborator.

For those of you that don't know what XCOM is since I've been asked about it, it's a game where you traditionally play as Earth's first and last defense against alien invaders. You are horribly, HORRIBLY outmatched in the beginning because they out-tech you and you obviously know nothing about your enemy. After autopsies, getting up there in research, and reverse engineering their technology, you start being able to face the aliens (who get progressively tougher) until you can stop the invasion once and for all. That's IF you stop them. You can lose XCOM and Earth can fall as a result of you losing. Soldiers that die are permanently gone and put on the memorial wall. You WILL get attached to them. It's hard not to. I generally have to play on Ironman to prevent myself from save scumming to bring them back.
  • Snake tits
    Sins of a Solar Empire got me all nerding out on space games so I redownloaded EVE Online. PEW PEW PEW.

I'm also tempted to try Elder Scrolls Online, it's getting great reviews ever since they redid it.
  • edited January 2016
    They redid it? I did the closed alpha/beta and decidedi t was trash.

One day they'll have a game without recycling all the characters forever.

JFC, Mannimarco AGAIN?
  • re: XCOM 2. 

I'm impressed as hell by Friaxis as a game designer. 
    Yeah, the reviews seem to be very positive after the rework!
  • ESO was fun, but I dropped it after a while because of the grinding, and because the promise of the flexible class-weapon system did not turn into the ideal I fantasized it to be.

The flexibility, though, is certainly a lot more than other MMOs (and even Lusternia), and that is both its greatest part, and a weakness of their system. Like all the Elder Scroll games, you can be a mage wielding swords (with some disadvantages) or a warrior with whatever configuration of weapons you want etc. Which is really cool. To enable that, though, the class skills aren't as integrated with the weaponry as I would like (there are some skills obviously meant for certain weapons) and the weaponry skills are generic so that they can fit into almost every class, and every class is configurable to act in any position in the party. So you can have a sorcery tank with heavy armour and that sort of set up.

Obviously, weird set ups are less efficient than the standard, logical ones. But the flexibility takes away from the class identities, I felt. In the end, 

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Not a fan of bullet hell games, but Starward Rogue from the sadly terribly downsized Arcen Games is a great time. Buy a copy and help keep them afloat!
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    For some reason, I decided it was time to actually play Skies of Arcadia. So I am.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Skies of Arcadia is fantastic and I should replay it at some point. Going through golden sun 1/2 right now.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Kalnid said:
    Skies of Arcadia is fantastic and I should replay it at some point. Going through golden sun 1/2 right now.
    I've always liked the battle music (which is how I ended up playing it -- I looked up the music again). So far it's pretty good. A little predictable, and a bit on the cheesy side, but still quite entertaining.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • 542DCE1EE4222FD01F5284045894E14BCAC97FFB (1024×768)

I made everyones favorite Orclach in Skyrim :^) Wooo @Marcella

A97E4DEE95DDFC0AFCB2B961D9E3D351E568BB19 (1024×768)

F2FD5502BBA9BDE98E07AFFFDF508B0CF5509567 (1024×768)

I may or may not have forgotten a few details about her description, but I think I captured her.. Erm... Charm, nicely :)

edited February 2016
    She's only the favorite by default of being the only one.
  • Celina said:
    She's only the favorite by default of being the only one.
    there's also @morr

No idea who that is.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    I picked up Final Fantasy VI and VII for $5, to see how they hold up. I've only played FF VII once, I think in
    Everiine said:
    Kalnid said:
    Skies of Arcadia is fantastic and I should replay it at some point. Going through golden sun 1/2 right now.
    I've always liked the battle music (which is how I ended up playing it -- I looked up the music again). So far it's pretty good. A little predictable, and a bit on the cheesy side, but still quite entertaining.
    Been forever since I played through Skies, but I seem to remember it being one of the few games that left me really satisfied by the ending. Shame we never got a sequel or any revisit to that world.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."