Announce Post #3340: Introducing Cognition: A Revolutionary AI-Powered Pet Interaction System

On behalf of Jeremy Saunders:

We are happy to announce the launch of our new cognition system. This groundbreaking innovation allows you to engage with your in-game denizens in ways never before possible, using artificial intelligence to enable unique and personalized interactions.

Here's how you can get started:

Step One: Acquire Chars
You will need "chars" as a currency for interactions. Purchase chars from our website, starting at 10,000,000 chars for $10. See your char count using the COGNITION SUMMARY command.

Step Two: Enable the Pet
Use the command COGNITION ENABLE <target> on a pet you own to enable cognition. Works on custom beasts only for now.

Step Three: Create a Personality
Design a Personality Page (PPage) using COGNITION PERSONALITY SET <target> [desc]. This helps the AI understand your denizen's personality. You can review it using COGNITION PERSONALITY SHOW <target>.

Step Four: Enjoy
Engage with your denizen and receive unique responses, all while your chars are deducted for the interaction. Only direct (i.e. targetted) interactions will trigger a response, and only from you. Works with pre-made emotes, custom emotes, and your says at the pet.

Cognition Syntax
There are various commands available for managing cognition, such as enabling/disabling targets, setting daily budgets, and more. For a detailed guide, please refer to the in-game help files. Start with HELP CONGNITION.

Why is this Awesome?
- Unique Personalities: Craft distinct personalities for your denizens, providing fresh and individualized interactions, making each pet truly one-of-a-kind.

- Enhanced Engagement: Break free from repetitive, pre-scripted dialogues. Engage with your pets as they respond in real-time with intelligence and charm.

- Creative Empowerment: Exercise your creativity in designing your denizens' characters. From appearance to mannerisms, the customization options are endless.

- Responsible and Ethical Use: We've taken careful measures to ensure our cognitive AI is not just an exciting feature but also one that respects ethical considerations, including compliance with legal requirements.

By embracing these features, the cognition system in Lusternia offers a new dimension of entertainment, creativity, and responsible gaming. Join us in this thrilling journey and experience a new level of immersion with your in-game pets.

Addressing Concerns About AI Ethics
We understand the concerns some may have regarding the ethical use of AI. That's why we have taken careful measures to ensure the responsible implementation of cognitive denizens within Lusternia:

- No Job Displacement: Our cognitive AI does not take away jobs. It enhances the gaming experience, providing fast responses that human-written interaction cannot feasibly provide.

- Ethical Considerations: We are actively monitoring the legal landscape surrounding AI training data and will comply with American law. If necessary, we can switch to other AI models.

- Enhanced Experience, Not Replacement: Cognitive denizens augment the experience for human players but do not replace human creators.

For a detailed statement on our stance regarding AI ethics, please refer to the in-game help file under HELP AI ETHICS.

Get Started Now!
Engage in an immersive experience with your denizens. See the help files: HELP COGNITION, HELP COGNITION PERSONALITY, HELP COGNITION RULES, HELP COGNITION FAQ for all your queries.

Thank you for being part of this exciting innovation in Lusternia. We believe that this system opens up new and thrilling ways to enjoy the game, always with a commitment to responsible AI usage.

Happy Gaming!

Comments

• If we have concerns regarding this feature, would they be better directed to IRE President Jeremy Saunders?
    Active: Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday EST

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Er, is this a joke?
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Everiine said:
    Er, is this a joke?
    It is not. It is a feature that was offered in other IRE games earlier.

• EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Xiran said:

It is not. It is a feature that was offered in other IRE games earlier.

Nice to see IRE being IRE--what a waste of resources.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Xiran said:
    If we have concerns regarding this feature, would they be better directed to IRE President Jeremy Saunders?
    Yes. Or you can post them here if you prefer and I can forward them.
  • edited October 2023

Dear IRE President Saunders,

I have concerns with the introduction of the Cognition feature and hinted future use of AI generators in Lusternia. These can be separated into legality and discerning if this use of AI adds value.

Legality Concerns

Being part of another community that has had their data scraped without permission, I would like to ask if there could be some disclosure on what dataset this employed generator has been trained on or if these sources have at least given permission for their work to be used.

Ethics aside, HELP COPYRIGHT in various IRE games states, "If you copy a piece of work over which there is copyright for use in [the game], then you may make both you and us liable to be sued in civil courts or prosecuted in criminal proceedings." With the way the AI works and a sufficient set to learn from, the phrases may not be recognisably attributable to a single source when read. However, the direction of rulings in the United States indicate the AI-generated text might not be copyrightable by IRE. Wouldn't having content in the game that one is unable to claim copyright over cause problems?

Value-Add Concerns

The advertised unique personalities does not feel true, likely because the generator is stateless. Samples show the generated text can make the denizen react uniquely to individual emotes, but I would opine not consistently enough in a span of interactions to come across as a personality. I see that there are features described to help, like tweaking the Personality Page, but this puts the onus (and cost of chars) on players with the currently employed generator.

I have also seen samples where portions of the returned text echo of what the player emoted at the denizen, which reads stiltedly and seems like a poor use of paid chars. I suspect the generator would also fall flat when given Lusternian-specific context, e.g., if I had a hypothetical fae dweller and said something about visiting Xeeth labs to them, they ought to react strongly.

I am skeptical this feature can add a uniquely Lusternian flavour to interactions. There may be some risk to maintaining Lusternia's quality lore instead, which may become more apparent with the suggested introduction of AI-generated speech to denizens other than player-loyal mobs. This much-loved game sets itself apart with unique lore and ways to engage a living world. Expanding use of AI-generated text may introduce risks to these particular marketable draws of Lusternia.

Sincerely,
    a concerned player