Ascension Feedback

For discussion on Ascension. Nodes and Prime hunting detailed in Announce post #3170

Consider organising feedback to help admin and responding players. Even if something may seem obvious, preface it. Ex. "I wish midbies had a way to participate, like in in Prime hunting." It gives your feedback context.

Some things discussed may be elements out of admin control. Hopefully observations can then lead to thinking about solutions, whether those are player-driven or mechanical. Give context. We might talk about the same aspect but be coming at it with different expectations for the what, how, or why, so include those when communicating.

Active: Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday EST

Comments

• edited September 2021
    Regarding the shifting spheres impetus:

Not sure if the administration got this impression, but some of the people on the Ironhart side seemed to get the impression it didn't really hinder us that much, and in some ways made it easier? Yes, it demanded more coordination and it took some time to adjust and get used to re-rallying to new spheres, but it seemed to delay the opposition just as much. Hard to rush or get the timing right if the enemy is suddenly moving at the same time. Someone who was more coordinated/knew what was going on is probably better off providing further perspective.

Regarding the Prime invasion mobs:

I'm not sure what the administrative objective was, but I feel like the early announcements made them seem very unappealing as an option towards viable ascension. The proposed boost was something like 120-200 points I think? That doesn't seem like enough to be worth diverting a significant force for. Now, you might say, "But you didn't need to have everyone divert off - you just needed seven or so really tough people!", but if seven of your toughest suddenly leave astral, that leaves your astral group very, very vulnerable to a rush. On the flip side, it makes rushing without 7+ people completely suicidal for the aggressing side and they're basically not liable to accomplish anything other than being a distraction. Invasion mobs need to either be worth way, way more points or be possible for just two or three people to take out quickly - or even one super meaty player to approach on a hefty risk. That's my takeaway, at least.

Edit Addendum:

On the subject of "too much stick, not enough carrot", another approach might be to let more than one invasion mob spawn at once. I was actually very surprised the Shadowlight alliance never just dropped down on it with their whole group at once to take it out very quickly (since that seems like the better strategy to letting seven people break off to do it on their own). Without asking any of them, my guess is they would be too concerned about a single enemy coming in with a palm sigil and snatching the corpse while everyone was off-balance. If we got to a point where three or four of these things were on prime at once, then it'd be possible for one alliance to coordinate multiple invasion attacks at once and reduce the likelihood of losing all their potential progress to a palm-snatch-sweep.

• I believe the consensus was that it was a waste of time. They were not worth enough points to try and go, because it wasn't going to get the win, and that was that much less time that we had to try and unseat you on Astral. We were also aware that people were getting one shot. So it didn't really matter how many people we sent, that meant someone was dying and it was that much more time to go up. There were other issues, but I won't get into that.

I'd be curious to see what will happen if it ends up being close some day to see how the mob would make a difference, as I'm fairly sure that was the intention.

What if the mob subtracted points from the holder?
  • EritheylEritheyl ** Trigger Warning **
    I was really hoping the Prime hunting aspect would make things a little more competitive, even knowing how beefy the targets were going to be. Rather than just having the smobs, I think smaller spawns (even just Kethbits) that midbies and not 100% arti'd demis can collect would go a long way to at least giving the illusion of things not being completely one-sided.
    Crumkane, Lord of Epicurean Delights says, "WAS IT INDEED ON FIRE, ERITHEYL."

-

With a deep reverb, Contemptible Sutekh says, "CEASE YOUR INFERNAL ENERGY, ERITHEYL."