Beginners Guide to Combat

Greetings,

I'm Zelroth, though some people call me Zel'Naga. Either name is fine! I'm still relatively new to Lusternia, at least to the PK scene. I use to play within Gaudiguch as well as New Celest under two different names, but I never actually got involved in PK because at the time it all seemed way to complex for me to even want to get involved with it. However, since I started playing as Zelroth I've come quite a bit farther than I ever would have before. I even managed to get Demi-dod, which is a first for me.

Anyway, enough about me. My idea for this thread is quite simple, after reading and posting within the 'Game Balance' thread, I've decided that it would be beneficial for me and several others if I was to share what little knowledge I had about combat in hopes that others who are more skilled than I will make posts as well to add to this guide for beginners.

To start this off, let's talk about Equipment.

As I'm sure many of you are aware there are really only seven main cures you need to worry about they are, restorative ice, soothing steam, purity dust, lucidity slush, bromide, healing, and mana. There are a few others that also help heal you, but these are the main seven curatives that you need.

Once you have those, it's best to go through your skills and figure out what does what. For example:

Cleave- usable on any targeted body part, breaks shield, usable with either weaponstyle.

Going through your skills and breaking them down via a spreadsheet will not only help you figure out how to obtain your instakill, but will also show you what utility skills you have for your class.

As an example, I'm a Cavalier, and one of the abilities I have as a cavalier is Bellow, which interrupts tumbles and has a chance to stun everyone in the room if it be allies or enemies.

Bellow is a useful utility skill to have for Cavalier, as it allows you to help keep your groups target within the room so that you or someone within your group can kill the target. It's also good at preventing your target from running from the fight should they decide to tumble in order to escape from combat due to the numbers being against them.

When I was working on my spreadsheet for Cavalier I broke everything down into six categories, Skill name, targeted body part, requirements, effects, weaponstyle, and how much power it used. Some of these categories might not be needed by your class, such as targeted body part, or weaponstyle. However, the general ideal behind breaking your skills up in such a manner is to give you a visual representation as well as an easy way to view your skill, what they do, what's needed, as well as the cost of them.

This is just the beginning of what I plan to add to this guide over time as I learn more about combat within the world of Lusternia. If you have something to add, or if there is something you would like to add that helped you learn how to fight in Lusternia please add it! The more we share what we learn, the easier it will be for us to come together and continue to engage in timequakes and other conflict related things more often.