A Task

Gotta have a task in order to advance, so tasks? Question marks?

(Veiled): Gurashi says, "I think ... I have a whole task."

(Veiled): Tonatiuh says, "Hello Beloved Gurashi!"

(Veiled): Gurashi says, "Or. An idea for a task."

(Veiled): You say, "I am at the taskingning room."

You think to yourself: No I am Their Beacon and must be Proper for this.

(Veiled): You say, "No. Proper. I am at the Throne."

An incandescent spark bursts into existence, coalescing into a selcouth sand djinn levitating in midair. Liquid gold begins pouring from his hollow eyes.

A subtle increase in illumination and a shower of black fire herald the entrance of a black phoenix from the ether.

Tonatiuh arrives, following Gurashi, the Heart's Friend.

A series of pure, crystalline notes sounds in the air as Gurashi steps smoothly into being.

A dwarven pilgrim trudges in from the ether.

Bizirik slinks in from the ether, clicking and thrumming softly.

You sit yourself down on a prismatic throne of radiant reflections and make yourself comfortable.

Tonatiuh utters a deep, rumbling laugh.

You have recovered balance on all limbs.

Gurashi's gaze softens as they smile.

"Hey!" Tonatiuh greets you warmly.

Light spreads across Gurashi's back in numerous colours and hues, enfolding them like butterfly wings.

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "Aaaahhhhhh Shu-la-miiiit."

You have emoted: Shulamit sits down upon a throne as Tonatiuh and Gurashi enter, trying to look solemn and serious.

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "We found it."

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "Because we teleported."

Formally, but with a glint to his eyes, Soothsayer Tonatiuh al-Saaoud, Oracle Thousandfold says, "Beacon Shulamit."

Gurashi's hands fly to their mouth as they give a short gasp of elation.

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "Oh yeah!"

(Satisfaction): Tonatiuh says, "Mmm Bacon."

Gurashi looks suddenly to you, face lighting up as they smile brightly.

You have emoted: Shulamit nods sagely at Tonatiuh looking down at the two before her.

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says to you, "Uhm. So. I think I have a whole official task in mind maybe."

You ponder the situation.

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "Official, because I am announcing it officially."

You have emoted: Shulamit tilts her head as she listens to Gurashi, glowing a soothing shade of ivory.

Tonatiuh shifts subtly from side to side as his indigo fur radiates warmth and flame-kissed iridescence, standing as a silent witness.

Slowly, you say, "And what is the goal you present?"

A dwarven pilgrim shifts about restlessly from one foot to the other.

Frowning, a dwarven pilgrim exclaims, "What's taking so long? I thought we were going to Avechna's peak!"

You peer at a dwarven pilgrim, eyes narrowed as you glow a suspicious shade of slate grey.

A dwarven pilgrim gives a pained sigh.

Gurashi's teeth sink into their lower lip as they catch your stare, quickly averting their own. "I-I want to... I've always enjoyed making foods for other peoples. So. I. Want to design..." They thrust out their hand, fingers splaying. "Five! Whole, foods. Inspired by the Shifting Cities ..."

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend whispers, "Oh my god how did you get here."

Gurashi stares at a dwarven pilgrim, eyes wide.

A dwarven pilgrim gives a pained sigh.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say to a dwarven pilgrim, in Dwarven, "Gurashi will get you there eventually."

Tonatiuh's eyes sparkle with amusement.

You have emoted: Shulamit turns back towards Gurashi solemnly.

Gurashi blushes furiously.

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "...if not just the Shifting Cities, then, the things in it. By ..it. For.... it...."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Do you have a time limit for these? Or just to do them?"

Gurashi trails off slowly, staring back at you with bunched shoulders.

Gurashi tilts their head, gaze softening as they frown.

Gurashi looks down guiltily. "I..."

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "I don't want to take TOO long, I'm just also..."

You have emoted: Shulamit continues to glow a soothing shade, trying to not look too imposing from up high on the throne.

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "M-maybe within the next two years? I do not want to take longer than two years."

You think to yourself: I love you, Gurashi, but I must be strong and ask questions.

You nod your head slowly in understanding.

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "...I am doing lots of paperworks right now with Shadowlights so."

Gurashi fidgets impatiently.

A selcouth sand djinn flexes into a tight curl, using a gold-dipped tail spike like a tooth pick to pluck a morsel from between his fangs.

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "My minds are distracted, and not filled with goodly ideas for eating."

Confused for a moment, you say, "Shadowlights?"

Gurashi stares at you, gaze softening and face filling with concern as they frown at you.

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says to you, "... Shadowlight Alliance ... my friends."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Oh! Yes."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "I forgot the aliiance's name."

You nod your head sagely.

Gurashi sets their jaw. "It is O-K."

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "There are two. It is confusing."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "So five designs, inspired by the city. How do you think this will help you grow closer to Them and the Beloved?"

Looking over their shoulder, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "There is a LOT of stuffs in the Shifting City that ... is weird and confusing."

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "...like, there is a guy who sells stuff? And, a weird piece of Iklara. Also. Smoking things, that make you feel good and weird."

Chiming like gently struck crystal, you echo to Gurashi, the Heart's Friend, "*softly mentally light* I must ask question. I love you, but I must. Know I love you much."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "There are two people who sell goods."

Gurashi's melodic voice sings into your mind, "*startled - but, buzzing back* Love ... you muchly too, yes I do."

Rambling, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says to you, "There is so MUCH to the City."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say to Tonatiuh, "Do you have questions? We should ask."

Tonatiuh rests his chin on the tip of an indigo oracle staff bearing hieroglyphic suns in thoughtful contemplation.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "To make sure it's a good strong task."

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "And ...a lot of it I did not know about until I started doing Beloved stuffs..."

Gurashi sways anxiously in their spot.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say to Gurashi, "There is a lot! Zeebin knows of many places, but sleeps a fair deal, and there's others."

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says to you, "Y-yes! Zeebin was showing me things...!"

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "....we ..."

Gurashi blanches suddenly.

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "We -smoked-."

"Oh?" you exclaim quizzically.

The corners of Tonatiuh's mouth turn up as he grins mischievously.

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "I -smoked- a thing."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "I once had a hookah myself, but no longer."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "I know of the ones below."

Slowly, you say, "Perhaps I should ask my son to show me them as well. Rambling."

Beet red, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "Yeah I just kind of sat there and did not want to move muchly but it also made me stop thinking about everything for a minute so THAT was nicely."

Gurashi coughs softly.

Gurashi coughs softly.

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "A-anyway."

You nod your head slowly in understanding.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say to Tonatiuh, "Questions."

Tonatiuh twists his muzzle contemplatively.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Like..."

Gurashi tilts their head and listens intently to you.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "What will you learn from the doing that you haven't learned before from your other designs?"

You have emoted: Shulamit glows softly, cheerfully, but pure ivory. "Not that it's a bad task. It's good! But must ask and test."

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says to you, "I will get to learn ABOUT the Shifting Cities. And maybe learn how to help the denizens as I learn how to make the foods about them. And then once I have made the foods, I can tell other Beloveds about what I have learned."

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "So by learning, can also hopefull teach and learn......" They trail off, then add, "Foods are just good thinking mediums for me."

You have emoted: Shulamit taps her lips thoughtfully with one crystal finger, making a very gentle chiming sound. "I like that you will teach others of what you have learned, yes."

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "In the ... Glomdoring, I was a whole Shrouded Eye, which meant I was a teacher...!"

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "And ... I really liked it. Getting to tell peoples what I knew and teach them too."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say to Gurashi, "I'm sure you were very excellent."

Gurashi tilts their head, gaze softening as they frown.

Quieter, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "Yes - I was pretty O-K."

You think to yourself: They were very bad gooses to lose a wonderful Gurashi.

Soothsayer Tonatiuh al-Saaoud, Oracle Thousandfold says, "Can't think of further questions, to be honest. The inspiration is good, the task is good, the timeline sufficient?"

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "So. Let's say...your task is to design five new dishes, inspired by the Shifting City, within the next two years, and once they are approved, teach gathered Beloved what you learned in the process?"

Gurashi purses their lips, looking between Tonatiuh and you. "...I don't know if food is best mediums for this but. Yeah. I hope two years is enough...."

A look of understanding crossing their features, Gurashi nods their head slowly.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Since the approval can take time. Can't blame you for that."

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "O-K ..."

You think to yourself: Danged reviewers.

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "I ... already know two whole things...!"

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Save them for the gathering!"

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "O-K!"

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Then...I think it is a good task. Learning of the city and teaching it to others, through the aspect of food."

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "Learning you can eat, yes."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "And now, you do! You already are of the First Paradigm, so I...think you do the task now."

Gurashi looks up hopefully, frowning. "O-K..."

Gurashi nods their head emphatically.

Tonatiuh rumbles a deep note of satisfaction.

You have emoted: Shulamit suddenly looks slightly smaller, looking through a stack of notes. "Yes. I state as Their Beacon, that the task laid before me by Gurashi is a good task to work upon, and wish them well in his work." Shulamit puffs up brightly, glowing bright ivory flecked with gold.

You have emoted: Shulamit places a hand against Gurashi's forehead, nodding solemnly.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say to Gurashi, "Go with blessings, and know you are loved and Beloved."

Gurashi shuts their eyes just before you touches their marked skin, nodding once.

Quieter, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "O-K. I will."

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "...heckity."

Tonatiuh gently pats Gurashi's shoulder with a large paw, resin sachets along his wrists spilling exotic spirals of incense smoke.

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "My chocolate oranges would have been perfect for the Orange Thieves."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "But now you can ponder other orangey things."

Gurashi smiles lightly, nodding and scratching the tip of their nose.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "The world of citrus!"

Softly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "And Yu Ken Leep."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Citrus and chocolate do go so well, now we've found chocolate."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "But...what of citrus in a savory dish."

Hurriedly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "Yes - they do... oh."

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "Yes."

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "I have designed citrus reductions for steaks before. Depends on meats..."

You nod your head enthusiastically at Gurashi.

Soothsayer Tonatiuh al-Saaoud, Oracle Thousandfold says, "Duck."

Tonatiuh licks his lips.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "It goes well with meats, and especially fowl."

Acknowledging Tonatiuh's point to be true, you nod your head gravely at him.

Shyly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "I should ... probably do the thinking... and maybe look around and meditate. And find out from someone how to talk to the Mister Salesman."

You have emoted: Shulamit slowly stands up off the throne, almost sliding but somehow still fairly dignified before standing before Tonatiuh and Gurashi.

You get up off a prismatic throne of radiant reflections.

Bizirik's head begins to droop. It opens its great maw and curls back its lips to allow its forked tongue to unfurl as it yawns before snapping its mouth shut.

Gurashi wrinkles their nose and sniffs.

Showing that you understand, you nod your head slowly towards Gurashi.

Gurashi ponders the situation.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "Seems like a plan. I will be in the library doing some writing."

Soothsayer Tonatiuh al-Saaoud, Oracle Thousandfold says, "The salesman are not very good at their jobs yet."

Soothsayer Tonatiuh al-Saaoud, Oracle Thousandfold says, "Well.. they are.. its the crier birds who are not cooperating."

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend asks, "Oh no?"

Acknowledging Tonatiuh's point to be true, you nod your head gravely at him.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "The crier birds who come are being rude birds."

A dwarven pilgrim mumbles something about you taking too long and wanders off, determined to find her own way.

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, "So said Zeebin."

You have emoted: Shulamit watches the pilgrim leave, shaking her head softly.

Gurashi watches the pilgrim wander off, wide eyed.

Tonatiuh murmurs softly to himself.

Quietly, Gurashi, the Heart's Friend says, "Wait..."

Glowing in tune with her words, you say, in Dwarven, "Silly dwarf."

Gurashi snaps their fingers.

Bookbinder by trade! Designer of most other things.