Upcoming System: Timequakes!

Comments

• ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Estarra said:
    While the research projects are overseen by guilds, they benefit the entire city or commune. And, yes, we are thinking of alternate avenues to gain anomalies but right now we want to get timequakes down.
    BTW, if anyone has any ideas for timequake powers, now is the time to present them!
    Are you looking for powers like karmic blessings (use special anomaly power to activate, fade with time) or permanent blessing style powers?

Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Okay, that's good. 

Please additionally consider the following:

- Not having anomaly type tied to timequake type. 
       This will make it easier down the road to expand the mechanic, and further obviate guild-competition issues. 

- Not tying guilds to specific project trees at this point.
       There's not a huge amount of point, unless there's another entire direction of developing this project that hasn't been mentioned so far. I think that having some guild specific tie ins to the timequake system are an interesting idea, the baseline power choices are fundamentally not a guild concern as presented here without VERY tortured sophistry that won't practically scan for most players. If it somehow does, it causes different problems. 

• We're looking for any power ideas! They could be karmic like, help with crafting, help with RP, whatever floats your boat in whatever themes you want. We actually have to pull the trigger soon on final decisions so please give us ideas ASAP.
    We're not looking to change direction at this point on basic mechanics. I'd rather we finish what we have and tweak later if there appears to be issues rather than worrying about hypotheticals.
    Anyway, NOW is the time to give ideas for powers!
  • help with crafting
    Perfect Focus: activated +lots to eqbal, ends on moving or losing any vital(or health/ego?), doesn't function without masochism.
    Refined Crucible: control whether coal becomes mercury/however it is that salt and sulfur work for alchemists.
    Stick-on tattoos, although that should really be just a basic crafting thing and not something locked away.
    Something to increase the chances of a tradeskill curio being created.
    Causal Disruption: chance for poisons/herbs to not be harvested when you harvest them.
  • This idea may come too late, but I have three options:
    Create multiple instances of the time quake in which two orgs can enter:
    1. These are random and will put Mag against Celest or Gaudi against Seren, etc. 
    2. Allow the first org there to challenge another org. The next org can challenge one of the remaining ect. 
    3. Place each org against it's natural rival. Celest/Mag, Seren/Glom, Halli/Gaudi. So each quake would have three rifts. 
  • I just really liked the idea of fighting gods or souless in them at some point =/ Alas
  • Hey, guys, we really are hoping to get more power ideas for the research projects. Below are some alternate ideas based on Nine Seals. I kind of like using seals as the themes since that's pretty Lusternia-specific and gives us future options to expand to more anomaly types. Anyway, nothing is written in stone but we need to finalize what these powers could be. We are VERY interested in your suggestions and feedback on the powers. Take the below as a starting point, tweak them, rewrite them as something completely different, whatever--this is brainstorming!

Nature Research Project (past anomaly type)

• Power 1: Teleport to Open Time Rifts, long wait
    • Power 2: X/13 village influence buff, passive, x = floor(CR/2) minimum 1
    • Power 3: Eating herbs heals h/m/e (like sparkleberries), 5 archpower per month
    • Power 4: Faster cure recovery for 3 hours, 10 archpower/month, can turn on and off at will (so don't have to be 3 hour stretch but can break it up)
    • Power 5: Unleash Natureswrath non-prime known plane (ethereal, elemental, cosmic or astral) for 5 minutes, 10 archpower (usable 1/game month/person) which causes vines to occasionally entangle anyone not in your org. If Manabarbarity present, cancels Manabarbarity instead. If Natureswrath from another org present, cancels Natureswrath.

Knowledge Research Project (future anomaly type)

• Power 1: Less mana cost in time rifts
    • Power 2: 3/13 mana generation, passive, no archpower needed
    • Power 3: Elemental/Ethereal essence value is doubled, 5 archpower/month
    • Power 4: 25% exp/essence buff for 3 hours, 5 archpower/month, can turn on and off at will (so don't have to be 3 hour stretch but can break it up)
    • Power 5: Unleash Manabarbarity on non-prime known plane (ethereal, elemental, cosmic or astral) for 5 minutes, 10 archpower (usable 1/game month/person) which causes manabarbs to anyone not in your org that increases for every second while on that plane. If Natureswrath present, cancels Natureswrath instead. If Manabarbarity from another org present, cancels Manabarbarity.

Death Research Project (desolate anomaly type)

• Power 1: Universal damage buff in time rifts, 10/10
    • Power 2: Universal damage buff, 3/10, passive, no archpower needed
    • Power 3: Faster insanity recovery, stacks with artifacts, 5 archpower/month
    • Power 4: 5% Crit boost for 1 hour, 5 archpower/month, can turn on and off at will (so don't have to be 3 hour stretch but can break it up)
    • Power 5: Unleash Necrosphere on non-prime known plane (ethereal, elemental, cosmic or astral) for 5 minutes, 10 archpower (usable 1/game month/person) which causes health loss to anyone not in your org that increases for every second while on that plane. If Glamoursphere present, cancels Glamoursphere instead. If Necrosphere from another org present, cancels Necrosphere.

Beauty Research Project (immaculate anonaly type)

• Power 1: Faster anomaly harvesting in time rifts, 25%
    • Power 2: Increased valuation when creating crafted items, passive, no archpower needed
    • Power 3: Increased trading power with aethertraders, 5 archpower/month
    • Power 4: Ability to convert up to 10 archpower per month to enchantment charges (1 archpower=10 charges), must specify enchanted item, cannot go over max charges of that item
    • Power 5: Glamoursphere non-prime known plane (ethereal, elemental, cosmic or astral) for 5 minutes, 10 archpower (usable 1/game month/person) which pacifies that plane. If Necrosphere present, cancels Necrosphere instead.

• Can tell you upfront every org is going to leave Beauty behind, with the only reason to pick it up being the first research power. while the valuation and trading power is a good idea for Beauty to try and make it crafter friendly as a research project, that new system itself isn't going to be reason enough for an entire guild to bypass the superior benefits. Not to mention, pacifying an entire plane, where it does not state that it keeps you from being effected, neuters the entire point of using those powers on an engagement.
  • Lycidas said:
    Can tell you upfront every org is going to leave Beauty behind, with the only reason to pick it up being the first research power. while the valuation and trading power is a good idea for Beauty to try and make it crafter friendly as a research project, that new system itself isn't going to be reason enough for an entire guild to bypass the superior benefits. Not to mention, pacifying an entire plane, where it does not state that it keeps you from being effected, neuters the entire point of using those powers on an engagement.
    Have any alternate ideas for Beauty?
  • Estarra said:
    • Power 2: Increased valuation when creating crafted items, passive, no archpower needed
    • Power 4: Ability to convert up to 10 archpower per month to enchantment charges (1 archpower=10 charges), must specify enchanted item, cannot go over max charges of that item
    • Power 5: Glamoursphere non-prime known plane (ethereal, elemental, cosmic or astral) for 5 minutes, 10 archpower (usable 1/game month/person) which pacifies that plane. If Necrosphere present, cancels Necrosphere instead.

Power 1: Faster anomaly harvesting in time rifts, 25%
    Power 2: Alter what is created while crafting. Toggle "failures" (ie Jewelers always salt/sulphur, Alchemist always sugar, Forging/Cooking always mercury etc)
    Power 3: Apply the benefits of 'Beauteous Working' to your crafts. Stacks with actual seal buff. 5 archpower/month
    Power 4: Approved designs that are org cartel specific grant same amount of OrgCredits points as public designs. 10 archpower/month
    Power 5:Glamoursphere non-prime known plane (ethereal, elemental, cosmic, or astral) for 5 minutes, 10 archpower (usable 1/game month/person) which pacifies all of caster's enemies while they are present on the plane. If Necrosphere present, cancels Necrosphere instead.
  • Lycidas said:
    Estarra said:

Power 1: Faster anomaly harvesting in time rifts, 25%
    Power 2: Alter what is created while crafting. Toggle "failures" (ie Jewelers always salt/sulphur, Alchemist always sugar, Forging/Cooking always mercury etc)
    Power 3: Apply the benefits of 'Beauteous Working' to your crafts. Stacks with actual seal buff. 5 archpower/month
    Power 4: Approved designs that are org cartel specific grant same amount of OrgCredits points as public designs. 10 archpower/month
    Power 5:Glamoursphere non-prime known plane (ethereal, elemental, cosmic, or astral) for 5 minutes, 10 archpower (usable 1/game month/person) which pacifies all of caster's enemies while they are present on the plane. If Necrosphere present, cancels Necrosphere instead.
    Seems worthwhile defining what the pacification specifically entails. Like, if I pacify can I hit them and they can't hit back.

Also doesn't particularly seem worthwhile touching too much on the "overt economy" unless the players concerns have actually been resovled, given that resolving those could provide much more meaningful bonus opportunities.
  • Recent changelog reduced cost of breaking down goop items and raising chance to get salt/sulphur on craft. This just gives a guaranteed method for people to have these commodities if they wish to, essentially trading a commodity (gem for salt/sulpur, coal for mercury, herbs for sugar etc). This would help a lot of people actually and stimulate the economy instead of just draining through loads of commodities hoping for a failure proc. As for pacification, it is the affliction to my understanding, just not curable and meant to be countered via Necrosphere or leaving the plane.
  • Lycidas said:
    Recent changelog reduced cost of breaking down goop items and raising chance to get salt/sulphur on craft. This just gives a guaranteed method for people to have these commodities if they wish to, essentially trading a commodity (gem for salt/sulpur, coal for mercury, herbs for sugar etc). This would help a lot of people actually and stimulate the economy instead of just draining through loads of commodities hoping for a failure proc.

As for pacification, it is the affliction to my understanding, just not curable and meant to be countered via Necrosphere or leaving the plane.
    The complaints I was more thinking about is the dullness and the desire to see more modern systems in place. If it had been prioritised first then you'd be able to look at the system as a whole for where you could give advantages rather than a bonus which seems like it might be patching a hole.

Again, probably need more specifics about it. If it's targetted as you suggest at this point I'm imagining Glom raids on Etherwilde where they chain usage together and just casually bash etherwilde while we can't respond. If so, it seems like it makes the death one basically a requirement.
  • Death was going to be one of those that was going to be universally taken, regardless of org, because of how powerful it is. Each power is useful, and Necrosphere (I can only imagine) is going to hurt... a lot. Without making Glamoursphere worthwhile, or Beauty for that matter, it would've ran supreme with no counter play, except also using Necrosphere.
  • edited April 2019
    Lycidas said:
    Death was going to be one of those that was going to be universally taken, regardless of org, because of how powerful it is. Each power is useful, and Necrosphere (I can only imagine) is going to hurt... a lot. Without making Glamoursphere worthwhile, or Beauty for that matter, it would've ran supreme with no counter play, except also using Necrosphere.
    Either way, a brief glance at POLITICS and DOMOTH STATUS provides an indication as to why needing powers to counter others is probably going to be bad and seems liable to open up the door to obnoxious raids.

edit: Actually, looking at it. If your org isn't big enough, the death capstone probably isn't worth it?
    You'd want harmony to counter death, but all of the capstones hit your allies too, so if you need your allies the capstones work against you (i.e smaller orgs being hit by bigger ones). 

The larger/"winning" orgs would likely be free to use them to hit the smaller orgs if they don't need their allies around, but the use for smaller orgs seems to be just shutting down the enemy ones.
  • Since another thread kinda became Timequakes 2.0, I'm making this here. I have a few assumptions on how this is going to go down and work mechanically.

An anomaly is worth 10 archpower, and can be placed into a Nexus to fuel project powers, type being inconsequential. I'm going to assume there will be a cap to archpower stored, probably 100, or should be. If those assumptions are correct, then we're looking at the possibility of some real problems when it comes to PvP events that aren't timequakes. Since Death is going to be the research project that is by default taken by every org, that then means Beauty is going to be required to counteract, which unless your org is super crafter focused (None are) then it feels like a waste just to dispel Necrosphere. The other alternative is to use discretionary powers and just stay off plane to not be effected...which dilutes all possible conflict.

Not to mention the usage of these T5 powers (Natureswrath, Manabarbarity, Necrosphere, and Glamoursphere) as they are, is going to further dissuade grouping up with allies, because now you're injuring those meant to help you. So unless org A is in a standalone defense versus orgs D and F, they won't see use anyway. I still stand firmly that these research projects should aide in PvE rather than PvP, or all four should be usable at the same time by any org. Limiting these to guilds is an artificial way to make guilds relevant, and begrudgingly so. Now if we want to say, further Knowledge research, we're hoping and praying someone from that guild with the authority to use anomalies is around or shows up to make use. Either leave it at three and don't tie to guilds, or give us the better option and make all four available and still not tied to guilds.

Beyond this, we would really appreciate at least some basic details on how this is all going to boil down, such as my posed assumptions (how much archpower an anomaly is worth, storage, etc) and if research can degrade. While I've been an active part of helping to design powers, it is because I knew no matter what we said, this was going to happen, so might as well try to help shape it into something we can grin and bear. Please, can we have some information before this launches? Please, can we TEST it before it launches?
  • edited April 2019
    Lycidas said:
    Since another thread kinda became Timequakes 2.0, I'm making this here. I have a few assumptions on how this is going to go down and work mechanically.

An anomaly is worth 10 archpower, and can be placed into a Nexus to fuel project powers, type being inconsequential. I'm going to assume there will be a cap to archpower stored, probably 100, or should be. If those assumptions are correct, then we're looking at the possibility of some real problems when it comes to PvP events that aren't timequakes. Since Death is going to be the research project that is by default taken by every org, that then means Beauty is going to be required to counteract, which unless your org is super crafter focused (None are) then it feels like a waste just to dispel Necrosphere. The other alternative is to use discretionary powers and just stay off plane to not be effected...which dilutes all possible conflict.

Not to mention the usage of these T5 powers (Natureswrath, Manabarbarity, Necrosphere, and Glamoursphere) as they are, is going to further dissuade grouping up with allies, because now you're injuring those meant to help you. So unless org A is in a standalone defense versus orgs D and F, they won't see use anyway. I still stand firmly that these research projects should aide in PvE rather than PvP, or all four should be usable at the same time by any org. Limiting these to guilds is an artificial way to make guilds relevant, and begrudgingly so. Now if we want to say, further Knowledge research, we're hoping and praying someone from that guild with the authority to use anomalies is around or shows up to make use. Either leave it at three and don't tie to guilds, or give us the better option and make all four available and still not tied to guilds.

Beyond this, we would really appreciate at least some basic details on how this is all going to boil down, such as my posed assumptions (how much archpower an anomaly is worth, storage, etc) and if research can degrade. While I've been an active part of helping to design powers, it is because I knew no matter what we said, this was going to happen, so might as well try to help shape it into something we can grin and bear. Please, can we have some information before this launches? Please, can we TEST it before it launches?

See, I took what the setup assumptions a completely different way.
    I assumed that 1 anomaly is 1 archpower. That each project has its own archpower and only members of the connected guild can put anomalies into the machine and activate the powers (be it the personal or areawide). And that each rift is going to have a couple of anomalies - thus it is going to take a few RL days to get things going.
  • Lycidas said:
    Since Death is going to be the research project that is by default taken by every org

If you can only have three projects max, orgs that are likely to be raiding (larger orgs) seem like they'd take Nature, Knowledge, and Death.

Smaller orgs would want to set up Nature, Knowledge, and Harmony so they can counter the capstones of the people likely to be raiding them. 
  • I think you meant Beauty instead of Harmony, but you don't even need Beauty, since casting Necrosphere yourself just overrides theirs, making the counter not even needed.
  • Lycidas said:
    I think you meant Beauty instead of Harmony, but you don't even need Beauty, since casting Necrosphere yourself just overrides theirs, making the counter not even needed.
    I suppose. Pacification could be more useful when in context but realistically it's looking to be reactionary on the smaller side. And that's only when the smaller orgs finally get to that point.
  • Well another thing to consider, by 'cancel x' does it mean negate and nothing else? Or negate and put up your own?
  • Going to chime in that having the capstone power of winning lots of these PvP fights make it easier to raid a plane.. but only if that plane's owners aren't winning PvP events already is a bad idea. 
  • I mean, let's not forget trying to fight against all of the buffs that will be making the strong stronger as you're trying to get anomalies.
    At least it doesn't read as the capstones being usable in the rifts? though maybe that's just been missed.
  • To my understanding, these Timequakes aren't planes, merely just rifts. So unless for whatever reason they are Ethereal, Elemental, Cosmic, or Astral, should be okay.
  • Right. To be clear, I'm not saying that they'll make winning further rifts easier, but that winning at rifts will already be an indication that you can win at raids without further assistance, seeing as you're already beating out competition for the anomaly resources. 
  • My point was more the other powers you get from the research.

Members of the winning orgs may be more easily able to access the rifts, their herbs will also have sparkle effect, their cure recovery will be faster, their mana usage will be lower(?), they'll have a minimum of 10/10 universal damage buff.
  • tbh, thinking about it this is looking like more and more of a flat out waste of everyone's time. 

Like, aside from all other stuff already mentioned, right now the only raiders I'd expect to use it are the ones who don't actually want a fight they just want to harass the other side. Anyone that actually wants to fight probably shouldn't be giving the defenders a reason to nope out (which is already happening)
  • I know a lot of us don't want this new system, but could this please get released without more arguments, so that people can move on to trying to solve more important stuff.
  • Archpower is a personal power. One anomaly gives 10 power. You can use any archpower to acivate any benefit from any research project in your city or commune regardless of guild.
    Research projects are maintained by guilds and there are 4 types. Each type of research project needs commodities, gold and its specific anomaly type to build. Projects slowly decay so they must be maintained. Project powers are available to everyone in the city or commune. Each rift may have several anomalies, though a new one shows up only if the first one is harvested. I think we've been very transparent about how it works, most everything is on the first post in the thread.
    But as I've said many times, right now we really would like your help in brainstorming the project powers. If you guys want to change the Level 5 powers, we're open to any suggestions. If you can think of something cool that has nothing to do with PVP (but still would be desirable enough to build projects), I'd like to consider it. But we need to finalize decisions like yesterday. While I appreciate and hear your criticisms, if you don't offer alternate suggestions, we're going to have to ultimately pull the trigger on our own.
  • Well, the problem with changing these level 5 powers is that they need to be worth it, which we agree on. But at the same time, I can't think of any non-PvP power I, or really anybody, would want that is generically 5 minutes long for the cost of one anomaly and usable once per game month. The best I've got is making some of the really expensive artifacts into the level 5 powers that you use it and that's it. I'll do my best and post my ideas within this same day, so don't close it just yet!
This discussion has been closed.