Tweets V: Tweet and Tower

Comments

• NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Maligorn said:
    I finally didn't accidentally ignore a God(dess) interaction and got some DELISHUS ARGH PEEZ. I won't post a log because it was full of secret Isuney goodness that you have to make a character in Hallifax to find out about.
    Have fun with your secrets.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • Some secrets are more impressive than others
  • edited August 2014
    Maligorn said:

I finally didn't accidentally ignore a God(dess) interaction and got some DELISHUS ARGH PEEZ. I won't post a log because it was full of secret Isuney goodness that you have to make a character in Hallifax to find out about.

Isune's secrets constitute of what the flavor of purple is.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    Tastes like Wyrd.
  • KarlachKarlach God of Kittens.
    Novices who go off on their own accord and do really dumb, and pointless stuff under the notion that they're being helpful, and then are surprised that you chastise them rather than compliment them on their act of irrational stupidity.

It's great that you want to show initiative, and I applaud your enthusiasm, but think things through before jumping in, or consult with someone first before you charge off going "I'm helping!"

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Gah don't remind me. I recall only a few days ago this newbie deciding it was a good idea to leave the safety of our group and rush to the archway to take on someone 1000% their might.

Actually I think what was more sad was the fact that that raider began celebrating having killed the novice and yelling "mine!" when getting the kill. #maturity indeed
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Arcanis said:
    Gah don't remind me. I recall only a few days ago this newbie deciding it was a good idea to leave the safety of our group and rush to the archway to take on someone 1000% their might. Actually I think what was more sad was the fact that that raider began celebrating having killed the novice and yelling "mine!" when getting the kill. #maturity indeed
    Well, to start of, I now know who we're talking about. To end... meh @ people being happy over killing a newbie.

That said, the person in question is hardly an actual newbie, but a rather obvious alt... but anyway.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    I'm not sure if we are talking the same person, I didn't know about the incident Arcanis brought up.

As for mine, no idea if they're an alt or not, I suspect at times but I'd also expect an alt to be wiser than to do some of the things they've done.

The divine voice of Avechna, the Avenger reverberates powerfully, "Congratulations, Morkarion, you are the Bringer of Death indeed."

You see Estarra the Eternal shout, "Morkarion is no more! Mourn the mortal! But welcome True Ascendant Karlach, of the Realm of Death!

• Karlach said:
    I'm not sure if we are talking the same person, I didn't know about the incident Arcanis brought up.

As for mine, no idea if they're an alt or not, I suspect at times but I'd also expect an alt to be wiser than to do some of the things they've done.
    At the time I also wondered about that novice. It felt very suspicious when they wouldnt reply to my tells of warning to stay with us. Afterwards they simply left. The next day I see that they changed their name, was all very odd indeed.
  • I fail to see the issue with what was just said.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Newbie wants to help, does things he thinks are helpful, gets yelled at for being dumb - seemslegit

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Less "gets yelled at for being dumb" more "Is surprised people aren't complimenting him on a job well done."

If your kid thinks your living room is boring and decides to re colour the walls of your lounge, are you going to compliment them for helping?

Heh, Are you going to yell at said kid and chastise or explain and show him exactly why it's not helpful so he learns from the situation? 

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Synkarin said:
    Heh, Are you going to yell at said kid and chastise or explain and show him exactly why it's not helpful so he learns from the situation? 
    Depends on the kind of parent you are, no doubt. That said, yelling never worked well on me... and yes, I did redecorate the living room when I was about 4 or 5. :D

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Synkarin said:
    You assume I did the former and not the latter?

• old-fashion belting or bust.

Karlach said:
    Synkarin said:
    I don't assume, you pointedly said you chastised him rather than complimented him. Read your original post.....

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Synkarin said:

Karlach said:
    Synkarin said:
    I don't assume, you pointedly said you chastised him rather than complimented him. Read your original post.....
    I was thinking more the yelling thing than the chastising, the two aren't paired hand in hand.

Nor is chastising mutually exclusive from explaining where they went wrong. Hence why I asked if you assume I did the former, and not the latter.

Here's the the general theme

Newbie does something he thinks is helping

Mork "chastises" him (because he couldn't possibly be yelling at the same time, and it's crazy to think so) and then posts to forums with a gif of Dr Cox slamming his head against the wall and commenting about said newbie's 'irrational stupidity.'

That's your post, summed up, were I that newbie, I'd be on my way to another org or another game.

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    You're the only one putting the word "yelling" in here, but that's your thing I know. You create a point to argue against that previously didn't exist because it's one you can oppose and "win", facts be damned. Also on that vein, saying someone commits an act of irrational stupidity is not saying someone is irrationally stupid.

My issue, and reason for the Cox gif, was that said newbie seemed to take offence that I wasn't complimenting them for what they did, as if it shouldn't matter that it was a really dumb thing. I actually did both, I chastised and explained why it was a bad idea, and how they could be more useful. Hence me asking you a question you dodged twice.

Now if you want to discuss the ethics of how to deal with new players being reckless and acting without thinking, then sure we can discuss that. But if you're going to keep creating arguments and points out of some 1+1=3 logic, then find someone else to troll.

• @Synkarin, you should know that said newbie has been driving people up the walls every since it came out of the portal. Walking away when giving an explanation that is longer than a a few sentences, requesting others do their work for them, and so forth. The newbie has received a ton of help and throws it back into the faces of others. I suspect it may be a young player but young players are held to some standard too. @Karlach knows about this, too, so he took a bit more leeway than if it had been an isolated incident. It's rather quite frustrating but well at some point when explaining does not help you start resorting to other measures.
    You have received a new honour! Congratulations! On this day, you have shown your willingness to ensure a bug-free Lusternia for everyone to enjoy. The face of Iosai the Anomaly unfolds before you, and within you grows the knowledge that you have earned the elusive and rare honour of membership in Her Order.
    Curio Exchange - A website to help with the trading of curio pieces in Lusternia.
    Karlach said:
    You're the only one putting the word "yelling" in here, but that's your thing I know. You create a point to argue against that previously didn't exist because it's one you can oppose and "win", facts be damned. Also on that vein, saying someone commits an act of irrational stupidity is not saying someone is irrationally stupid.

My issue, and reason for the Cox gif, was that said newbie seemed to take offence that I wasn't complimenting them for what they did, as if it shouldn't matter that it was a really dumb thing. I actually did both, I chastised and explained why it was a bad idea, and how they could be more useful. Hence me asking you a question you dodged twice.

Now if you want to discuss the ethics of how to deal with new players being reckless and acting without thinking, then sure we can discuss that. But if you're going to keep creating arguments and points out of some 1+1=3 logic, then find someone else to troll.

Whoa Whoa Whoa, lets be perfectly clear, I took back my 'yelling' comment because you wanted to play semantics. Chastising and Yelling at someone for doing something dumb are the same thing in my book, but you were insisting on them being different, so I played your game.  I simply responded with what I read in your post, the post you wrote, which very clearly states that you chastised him and doesn't clearly state any other actions you took. Do you think he's maybe offended by the way you handled it than anything else?

The only question I may have dodged was the second time you asked about the former or latter, I answered it the first time straight up, but apparently you didn't like it. The second time, I rephrased my original statement to please you, since you decided to harp on the semantics of the situation. 

But yeah, you don't like being called out, I get it, so you resort to misdirection and semantics, surprised you didn't use your fallacy buzzwords this time. 

@Rialorm - He's not the first newbie to do this and he won't be the last, I know a couple players in Glom that had these same tendancies and turns out there were larger issues at play, such as language barriers etc. Those players came to be valuable members of Glom. @Athree was one of them and he turned out quite nicely. 

Venting these kind of frustrations to the forums is pretty poor form, chastising someone for trying to help is poor form, telling someone what they did was 'irrationally stupid' is poor form. Man, imagine had we told you that your tactics and ideas were irrationally stupid instead of showing you the ropes and encouraging you to get better. 

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    edited August 2014
    Actually people did, perhaps not you but people did, sometimes there's value in honesty.

Also that was a takeback? It read like sarcasm, if you meant it sincerely then my apologies. Also there's no misdirection here, I'm not the one making up arguments when facts don't fall in place the way they would like to argue them, also just because I didn't call your logical fallacies by their names doesn't mean I didn't point them out. But it's you, and it's come to be expected.

And if we're arguing semantics that wasn't an answer to the question, yes or no would have been an answer. You went roundabout like a politician, but ok, if that was your way of saying you assumed wrongly, then fair enough.

Now we've done arguing way off point (and I'm misdirecting?) the point on topic, no I don't think he was offended at the way I said it, excluding the fact he didn't get the response he thought he was going to get. Might as well put it on here but the kid decided to spy on one of the southern cities, doing something that doesn't actually require any spying and more importantly, was pointless information. But then he took to bragging his success over CT, now I can get the whole concept that if someone wanted to go on an alt and ctells they'd see it and could metagame with it and that isn't something ICly to be concerned about. However when said city has a guild with the skill to listen in on your official channels at any given time, it's not the best place to brag about your spying on them.

Then you have to wonder what if he'd been caught by them saying it, the implications it could have, and the fact no one asked or suggested he should do what he was doing in the first place. Ultimately it was poorly thought, poorly planned and poorly executed, and as I put I applaud his enthusiasm, but it was a really bad move. He risked more than he could ever hope to gain by it and more importantly, there was no need to do it at all.

Also telling someone their ideas are irrational, stupid, poorly thought out etc. and showing them how they could be of actual use are not mutually exclusive. You can do both.

• I think you can both shut up.
    My tweet is those dirty Northerners attacking me when all I wanted to do was drop the barrier and be friends for a while.

:( HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO START RELATIONS?
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    These posts teach me that I am merely inept at semantics.

Ardmore said:
    I think you can both shut up.
    My tweet is those dirty Northerners attacking me when all I wanted to do was drop the barrier and be friends for a while.

:( HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO START RELATIONS?
    You'll note that you weren't perfectfifth-ed. :P

Were just given a less-than-friendly shove essentially going... 'shoo'. Now, if you want to open conversation... we've had plenty of discussions in the recent past. I'm sure we can have more if needed... but no groping my wife without her or my permission. (Not that you'll ever get the latter while she's my wife... Elanorwen is a very jealous and possessive person)

• MunsiaMunsia The Supreme Goddess
    Let it be known that Munsy, as a child, hit back when mommy spanked. Thus, I hate mothers. 
  • I don't know if I want to buy a magic rune or learn Pyro skills. :/
  • SiamSiam Whispered Voice
    Munsia said:
    Let it be known that Munsy, as a child, hit back when mommy spanked. Thus, I hate mothers. 
    Did you hit back with a sword when people were supposed to be using guns, @Munsia?! 

SAO gogogo!
    Viravain, Lady of the Thorns shouts, "And You would seize Me? Fool! I am the Glomdoring! I am the Wyrd, and beneath the cloak of Night, the shadows of the Silent stir!"

#bringShikariback 

This discussion has been closed.