Tweets VI: The Tweetsixteenth

Comments

• There's a few puzzles like that.  I already mentioned Carai Caroo.  Sudoku in general is kind of lame.  If you know what to do then 90% of the time you spend solving is spent setting up the candidate notes.  If you have a program to do that for you then it takes less than five minutes to solve a puzzle like the one in Carai Caroo.

Angkrag too, if you don't know the trick you'll probably never win, if you do know the trick it's just a matter of doing the trick ten times.
  • I finally figured out the totem, but took so long doing it that I couldn't get the other stuff done before the quest reset. Ah well. Next time, I'll just have to try to be faster with the totem. I'm glad I finally got it though, it was making me feel dumb. lol
  • Arix said:

Oh the totem. I tried that one night, when nobody was around. I got halfway through at best estimate ( I was mirroring on a puzzle site) and then hailstorm. Couldn't see what pieces were on what pegs, so I just said screw it and went to go do other things

Ssaliss said:

Lavinya said:

Arix said:

You talking about Estelbar? Because that one's easy

No, a different one. One that never ever gives enough clues to solve it without trying some combinations to see if they work first.

Something tells me you're referring to Marani...

EDIT: Also, re: the Tower of Hanoi (aka the Tower of Annoy): This puzzle is way way way overused. If you don't know how to solve it, then odds are you'll take longer trying to solve it than the reset time is, and if you do know how to solve it, it's just tedious with very little thinking involved. Either way, it's not a fun puzzle.
    Hmm, yeah, the last thing you do for Glom epic is one of those. Since I knew how do to it, it was just boOOOrrring...
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• The apple is cold, crisp, and sour as the juices fill your mouth. As you consume the fruit, you glimpse, for a moment, a massive, shadowy figure, Her snow-white hair framing a perfect, icy-eyed visage. Beneath you, a vast, perfect web of silken strands lies - and, for a moment, you realize that you too are part of it, weaver and strand both - and home.
  • Drunkness mocks me.
    The Inner Sea.
    I take commissions doe.
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    Apparently you lose your (under)secretary privs when you become GC. That makes it really awkward to clamber about and find someone to advance through novicehood when you were sure you could settle the matter in two shakes. Definitely wtb perms back. ::::/

* * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Tremula said:

Apparently you lose your (under)secretary privs when you become GC. That makes it really awkward to clamber about and find someone to advance through novicehood when you were sure you could settle the matter in two shakes. Definitely wtb perms back. ::::/

Uh, wha? Did you get removed as undersec? Because that would be the only reason why GC would -remove- existing permissions. Beyond that, if you were undersec, you should've remained as one... unless something really weird is happening with Lusty.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
    Elanorwen said:

Tremula said:

Uh, wha? Did you get removed as undersec? Because that would be the only reason why GC would -remove- existing permissions. Beyond that, if you were undersec, you should've remained as one... unless something really weird is happening with Lusty.
    I was a secretary and security, so I guess something weird happened with Lusty. We're going to set it straight, but deleting the privs was weird to see.

• ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    Tremula said:

Elanorwen said:

Tremula said:

I was a secretary and security, so I guess something weird happened with Lusty. We're going to set it straight, but deleting the privs was weird to see.
    I'm guessing what happened was it kicked you out of all other positions you had. GCs don't inherently have novice advancement capabilities (Something I was trying to get changed by adding novice advance perms to say GR10+ and had a bunch of GAs jump down my throat). Generally, I can see a reason to removing you from security/protector positions when you take GC or undersec/sec position when you take GA... but the opposite shouldn't really be the case. Still, assuming when it was coded, someone just made it clear every possible position on taking up a guild lead spot and left it at that. That might do with some looking into, as well.

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • Hmm, yeah, I'm preety sure it's your guild exclusive thingy. Since the BT's have been playing musical chairs, and not lost any of their other stuff...
    FOR pposters who aren't steingrim:

• QistrelQistrel the hemisemidemifink
    I find myself frantically designing some tattoos to submit before the end of the Lusty year...but attempting to make them actually good as opposed to just something I'm doing because there are 9 slots I haven't submitted yet! The clock is ticking...

• edited April 2015
    Qistrel said:

I find myself frantically designing some tattoos to submit before the end of the Lusty year...but attempting to make them actually good as opposed to just something I'm doing because there are 9 slots I haven't submitted yet! The clock is ticking…

Wait until it's just about to turn, then submit all of them, then when the year changes, recall of them, and you will be able to get another 9 slots and work on what you want. When you submit something you use up one of your slots of that year, even if you recall it, you can't then add a fourth if you've submitted 3. When you resubmit them in the following year you won't use up your slots of that year.

The more you know.

On another topic, people loving mah new burger designs, MMHMM. Free for everyone to enjoy and get some delicious diabetes.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    edited April 2015
    If you can't handle the fire, get out of the kitchen and let someone else cook the masterpiece you thought you could handle.

#nocontext
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Shaddus said:

If you can't handle the fire, get out of the kitchen and let someone else cook the masterpiece you thought you could handle.

#nocontext

You don't cook tattoos? Silly @Shaddus, cooking is for chefs.
    As I was saying before being rudely interrupted by someone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, I wish people wouldn't sign up for positions of responsibility and then just utterly abandon it. I'm not saying I'm the best leader, but I try to make my guild/order/org a better place in some way. If you take over as a leader or some other position of power, and others actually flock to you for rp/whatever, it's not cool to just up and quit randomly, or refuse to allow others to fill in when you can't be around.

I realise we all have lives outside Lusternia, but come on

Anyone reading this can take this any way they want to.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Shaddus said:

As I was saying before being rudely interrupted by someone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, I wish people wouldn't sign up for positions of responsibility and then just utterly abandon it. I'm not saying I'm the best leader, but I try to make my guild/order/org a better place in some way. If you take over as a leader or some other position of power, and others actually flock to you for rp/whatever, it's not cool to just up and quit randomly, or refuse to allow others to fill in when you can't be around.

I was dying of boredom. Way to be an inconsiderate jerk Shaddus.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Any time I'm around all day, nothing happens. The one day I don't log in and spend a day in the scary outdoors, naturally that's when the revolts happen.

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Shaddus said:

, or refuse to allow others to fill in when you can't be around.

If something crazy happens, you should vacate your position, so that people who are able can fill in. This is a totally reasonable demand on someone's time, it takes all of 30 seconds to log in, type your password, type QUIT <position>, and finish with a QQ and leave to do your important things.
    Derailing the train of thought for a minute, designing all these fancy shmancy foodstuffs is going to leave me like in a similar state to Cookie after it's all said and done (spoiler'ed for page space).

Yomoigu said:

Things happen. Life happens.

Sometimes it is planned, sometimes it happens suddenly and without warning, and sometimes it insidiously creeps up on you until all of a sudden you realize that you've spent the last several months working 15 hour days to avoid eviction/collections/not being able to pay for medical care. Either way, it takes precedence over Lusternia (or at least...it should take precedence over Lusternia). While it can suck horribly to have somebody you counted on for RP or other services disappear without warning, the truth of the matter is that they are not beholden to any player or admin in any way, shape, or form, and no player or admin is entitled to that individuals time or even an explanation as to why they vanished (unless they want to provide it).

I'm going to disagree with this part. While I realise that those of us who sign up for certain positions or responsibilities did so out of our own volition and it was completely voluntary, there's a general understanding that we're doing such things to help others. When others are depending on you for various things, they expect you to be there, and it's only common decency to let people know when you can't fulfill the obligations of the duty you took up.
    It seems I've struck a nerve without naming any names, but so be it.
  • NeosNeos The Subtle Griefer
    Mysrai said:

Celina said:

It's not a duty. It's a game.

^ and also ^.
    Lusternia ranks well behind dealing with friends, family, and coworkers
    Most of the friends I hang with are Lusternias and all of them live pretty far. Nope, Lusternia > family, and I see my coworkers at work and that's usually it. I agree with the health part of course though.
    Love gaming? Love gaming stuff? Sign up for Lootcrate and get awesome gaming items. Accompanying video.

Signature!

Celina said:
    You can't really same the same, can you?
    Zvoltz said:
    "The Panthron"
    I'm not disagreeing with the fact that Lusty should come well behind IRL in importance, but I think there should still be a feeling of responsibility for people under you in certain regards.

If I take over a guild admin position, don't put any undersecretaries in place, and I'm never around to promote novices or help them, I should feel bad that my guild isn't growing.
  • edited April 2015
    Shaddus said:

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that Lusty should come well behind IRL in importance, but I think there should still be a feeling of responsibility for people under you in certain regards.

If I take over a guild admin position, don't put any undersecretaries in place, and I'm never around to promote novices or help them, I should feel bad that my guild isn't growing.

There is really only one way to deal with this situation love, and it was done to me. Pick someone, anyone, that you can that is rank three build them up and get them to contest. It really is that simple, I understand your frustration because I caused it once too, but honestly it didn't hurt my feelings one bit when I was replaced due to my inactivity. I had no one to blame but myself. And I had no rp right to complain.

And well, when I got hit by the car... Things would have been in a really poor state if people waited the three years for me. So, go for it. The saying is, do what you gotta do. It's a game, and it changes that is life.

Currently Playing in: The doctors office. One more needle and I might just lose it again.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I get where @Shaddus is coming from. Real life happens and it is most important, no question! But highly frustrating are those who take on a position of responsibility and then refuse to do any of the work that should go with it. No one is forced to take on these roles, so if you don't want to do the work, leave it for someone who does.

Not just that, either. It takes all of two seconds to give someone privs to advance or do other things in your place if you can't do it. Don't leave people flapping in the breeze unable to do things for you simply because you can't be around.
  • Xenthos said:

Niico said:

@Siam @Tylwyth it's not really finding the places that's the problem, it's hearing that someone's chopped down trees and then running around trying to find the room that's missing something. I actually walked through both of the rooms that were missing them twice without realising they weren't there! Just something I have to practise, I guess. :)

One idea to counteract this would be to highlight the totem line to be a colour that stands out to you as being "good" (green, mauve, blue, etc.).  Then in rooms where you don't see that colour, you know something's wrong.  Makes it much easier to tell at-a-glance.
    This.

I suspect Xeno
    Tremula said:

Derailing the train of thought for a minute, designing all these fancy shmancy foodstuffs is going to leave me like in a similar state to Cookie after it's all said and done (spoiler'ed for page space).

Is the lard, bacon lard? Drool!
This discussion has been closed.