Amended Combat Overhaul!

Comments

• Is puritydust intended to have a ~6.5 second balance time?
  • No. I forgot to change it after reusing some old stuff. It is fixed.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • ElanorwenElanorwen The White Falconess
    With aeon turning into a smoke cure and paralysis being a two-step (outr, eat) cure I can see how artifact pipes are ending up being a must for combat. Was that actually the intent here?

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    not sure what paralysis has to do with pipes here, but you can always pre-outr dust, and not worry about that part.

but aeon requiring lighting a pipe then smoking it gives arti pipes a pretty huge edge, yes.

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Is lighting pipes stopped by paralysis, perhaps? I honestly have no clue.
    I've had arty pipes so long, I have no clue either! Filling pipes is I believe, but I couldn't say about lighting them

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
    Ssaliss said:
    Is lighting pipes stopped by paralysis, perhaps? I honestly have no clue.
    I actually thought that was the case. After double-checking just now, it apparently isn't. That said, there's multiple ways to screw with lighting pipes that isn't paralysis based too... and would be much more painful under aeon, especially when compared with the old cure of "just sip X"

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
  • ShuyinShuyin The pug life chose me.
    Suck it up peasants IMO. Get 50 cr for pipe
    Shuyin said:
    While the sentiment is amusing, I thought part of the overhaul was to lower the bar for entry into combat (By getting rid of the necessity for focus mind, etc) but if we're introducing a different bar altogether, it might be counter-productive.

As far as entry requirements go, 100 credits for 2 arty pipes isn't a big deal

Everiine said:
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • You might only need one. There was a bit of talk about removing rebounding a few pages back, and I don't think it was ever said one way or the other.
    Not introducing anything new. Artie pipes have always been a beginner pk artifact.

There are more important issues than worrying about a situation that won't happen often and can be circumvented by 50 cr.

This also doesn't do anything for when you empty your pipe out, the more realistic scenario
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Pretty sure you need to be on balance to light pipes, I remember I noted it with mild curiosity that my pipe lighting was delayed (I -think- it was balance) recently since I have a non-artie pipe for steam.

Lavinya said:
    Pretty sure you need to be on balance to light pipes, I remember I noted it with mild curiosity that my pipe lighting was delayed (I -think- it was balance) recently since I have a non-artie pipe for steam.
    It does require but does not take balance, yes.

As to credit costs for entry... learning Discipline to focus mind is 152 credits. (912 lessons), buying 2 arti pipes is 100 credits... not that big a difference, but again... if the goal is to make combat more accessible, requiring arti pipes for combat... starter PvP artifact or not... is probably not the way to go.

Don't need a rebounding artie pipe. It's 50.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    What are we going to do with greenlocks down the road? With the change to paralysis, a greenlock seems like it got a whole lot easier for some classes.

• Elanorwen said:
    Shuyin said:
    While the sentiment is amusing, I thought part of the overhaul was to lower the bar for entry into combat (By getting rid of the necessity for focus mind, etc) but if we're introducing a different bar altogether, it might be counter-productive.
    When did we say that was our purpose in removing focus mind? I don't think we've ever stated the aim was to make PK easier in terms of required skills, knowledge, or equipment. It may become "easier" as a consequence of the bloat reduction, but the primary intent has always been the bloat reduction. 
  • @Ieptix  I did some minor working with things, and have some requests to try to make this transition easier.  Moving paralysis is going to hurt.... a lot.   But the aeon cure change makes it incredibly difficult to work with comparatively as you can have issues like some specific afflictions that otherwise wouldn't have been a factor. 

I wanted to put in the following requests:
    + Similar to GMCP rift updates, can pipe information be updated to show when a pipe (and its number) was used. So we get an up to date count on current puffs left. With aeon being so powerful, we may have to start emptying pipes early or (kind of obligated now) keeping two of them.  We also have to use arty pipes as you face many more issues if you can't light it.  Alternatively an enchant rune that auto refills pipes like the rune that refills vials.

+ Can we make outr an automatic function of eating for the new cure?  This will help with asthma+slickness+aeon combos where you are far behind.  Note that new aeon no longer cares about focus mind, so it is far harder to break in many instances, since the main aff to cure can't be focused.

+ Nihilists and Celestines lost their method of aeon hindering via anorexia, they'll likely ask for asthma to replace lost pact powers for obvious reasons. Though Slickness is also potentially possible to go with it.

That is it for now, there is huge amounts of analysis flying around right now, like being able to stack paralysis for 10s at a time, or how hexes makes aeon almost immortal. Etc
    edited January 2015
    Good Lord learn to pre outr, not everything needs to be mechanically addressed.

Same with pipes. Carry two if needed.
  • Or... they can add it.. not really sure what your argument against is. A simple ORDER INRIFT ahead of time can screw that.  I also specifically said something about carrying two................. 
    My only worry about aeon being on a smoke cure is that people might start dominating you to empty your pipe right before hitting with aeon. Nothing stops them from throwing a beast spit manta in there too if they can...
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    Selfishness stops you emptying vials without the CONFIRM syntax, could add that for EMPTY PIPE too. Though do also like the idea of teardrop sigil for smoking.
  • All those people with Artie vials

Additionally, just imagine underwater combat now without artie pipes. GG seabattle.
    Arcanis said:
    All those people with Artie vials

Additionally, just imagine underwater combat now without artie pipes. GG seabattle.
    What do you mean now? It was always the case... throw a tahtetso monk at you underwater, gg with the hemiplegy if you don't have an arti pipe.

• Elanorwen said:
    Arcanis said:
    All those people with Artie vials

What do you mean now? It was always the case... throw a tahtetso monk at you underwater, gg with the hemiplegy if you don't have an arti pipe.

True, but imagine now being unable to cure things like Aeon underwater too.
    Honestly, though, any serious combatant should have an arti pipe.
    Rivius said:
    Honestly, though, any serious combatant should have an arti pipe.
    Whenever someone asks me what artifact I'd recommend for a starting combatant, it's always pipe runes. That said, it being a required item for combat is still wonky in my opinion.

• It's not "required." There is a difference between "serious combatant" and "casual combatant." Casuals probably won't even notice the one off incidents where their pipe goes out mid aeon. 
  • edited January 2015
    One question would be how often fights happen under water? If it's even semi-often, then there might be cause to change that aspect of it (to allow lighting pipes and smoking even while under water; yes, it doesn't make much sense from a logical standpoint, but at some point mechanics have to trump logic).
  • edited January 2015
    It's exceedingly rare.

The broader issue is when a regular pipe goes out (artie pipes do not go out) while the target is afflicted by aeon, adding an additional step to curing.