General Dissatisfaction

Comments

• Lavinya said:
    I can't tweet about my news post with a zillion errors, so I must declare my dissatisfaction for it instead. The price I pay for typing in the dark and being too lazy to proofread.

(PS BRING BACK TWEETS. Just delete posts, give warnings, but don't take it awaaaaay.)

Why doesn't someone just make a new thread? I don't understand.
    #NoWireHangersEver

Vive l'apostrophe!
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Someone did, and it's gone already. So....

• Depression returning. Not getting much sleep. Only happiness of late has been in a few interactions here and there and, well. That's about it.

Mmmm.... Sucks to suck.

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    The lack of Tweets is bringing on Depression! Come on Mods, open tweets back up so the happiness can flow!

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Sedanas said:
    Depression returning. Not getting much sleep. Only happiness of late has been in a few interactions here and there and, well. That's about it.

Mmmm.... Sucks to suck.
    You're not alone in your depression times. I feel you, man. :( Remember that you always have people here in Lusternia to talk to when you're feeling down. <3
  • I guess I'm the only one that prefers Tweets gone. >_>
    Shedrin said:
    I guess I'm the only one that prefers Tweets gone. >_>
    Mmh. My checking of the forums has been surprisingly pleasant these past few days. I just want to know at what point Tweets went from "small things that happened that aren't quite raves" to "HATE CONTAINMENT ZONE"??? I thought we all decided that rants threads were bad business a long time ago?
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I think rant threads, if properly contained, are actually beneficial to healthy foruming. As long as they're properly policed to make sure it does go from '[explicitive] you buddy' to 'go off yourself', they can keep places like Tweets clean of aggravation and have Raves not full of passive-aggressive "raves". But apparently Lusternians don't known how to act like adults, and we can't have them. 
                          * * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
    edited July 2015
    Tremula said:
    I think rant threads, if properly contained, are actually beneficial to healthy foruming. As long as they're properly policed to make sure it does go from '[explicitive] you buddy' to 'go off yourself', they can keep places like Tweets clean of aggravation and have Raves not full of passive-aggressive "raves". But apparently Lusternians don't known how to act like adults, and we can't have them. 

Yeah, that's the issue. It's impossible to keep them from devolving into a shrieking mass of hatred and drama. Given enough time, it will happen.
    EDIT: OMG I hate these stupid breaking quotes.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    Just take the bile to Facebook or something.
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
    edited July 2015
    In a proper forum for rants, the only way you need control yourself to be "adult like" is to recognise that the person on the other end of the screen is another person and do your very best to toe the line, which many of our players have problems with. 

You're absolutely right, and I would love a place for the Admins to see that there is malcontent that isn't listening in to random clans when we start bitching. If we're supposed to pretend we're completely satisfied with things that we aren't, it leads to distrust towards the administration by the players and a sense of betrayal towards the players when they eventually backlash against a choice the administration makes. 

EDIT: I need a nap.

• I think if you don't like something on the forums, nobody made you check it.

I only come on here to check the mechanic's corner subforum, and the real world forum now. I haven't looked at any of the other ones in some time. I haven't been able to play the game, so those aren't going to be anything but frustrating reminders that I don't have time to MUD. And there is a cyclic nature to the amount of ranting/fighting/namecalling/whatever. It'll ebb and flow, like the tide. 

But, you know, it doesn't have to touch you. You don't have to get in the water. If it's full of hungry sharks with self esteem issues waiting to take a bite out of someone who gets in... don't get in. 

There, wasn't that easy? Especially when you're not even the subject of it? I understand it can feel personal sometimes, when you're -actually involved-, but if two numbnuts wanna shout at each other, and they're bothering you... they aren't shouting at you, and you don't have to read their posts. 
  • So to expand on my position a bit more, here's what I don't like about the Tweets thread. My primary concern is that it always seems to devolve into personal drama. Attacking people, not positions, and dreding up old quotes and actions to score points. I largely think this is pointless and only exacerbates problems. It also affects my mood in a negative way and I end up enjoying the game less, which I want to avoid.

For this reason I avoid a lot of other OOC places that seem to be just for complaining, and though I'm in a few OOC clans, I try to avoiding complaining about specific individuals (I'm definitely not a perfect angel though) and leave clans that are too negative.

I'll try to directly address some arguments that were brought up, which I do think have a lot of validity, but I do have some counter-points.

- Negative comments will just go elsewhere, and in a nastier form. Having a moderated Rants/Tweets thread contains it and keeps it at a mangeable level.

This is likely true that negativity will be impossible to remove entirely, however, the existence of negativity somewhere else doesn't mean that it needs to exist here.

Further, this forum is the primary and official place for OOC discussion about the game. This has a few effects: There is no disclaimer about the nature of the Tweets thread, and in fact the name is relatively benign. It also means that when someone @mentions someone, they are drawn to that thread, and it shows up on Recent Discussions.

So newcomers might see the thread and be repelled by the negativity. It also means that it is essentially advertised to the whole of the playerbase and thus people will go there. If people have to search out a place to attack others, then it's less likely it will happen, and less likely to spread and affect everyone.

I don't necessarily think that the Tweets thread has to be deleted. If there is closer moderation and/or a better delineation between rants and other stuff in the forums, then I would be satisfied.

- People should be allowed to express their disagreements, even vehemently and with strong language.

I agree with the premise here, and some people definitely are too sensitive. People do have a right to say what they want, how they want. And it can definitely be frustrating to feel like you're being coddled. This is especially a subjective point, and I imagine there's some cultural differences in play on what level is appropriate.

On the other hand, I am assuming there's a reason why all I ever read on effective communication is how to avoid declaring blame, using "I statements" and focusing on issues (I'm not a psychologist, this is just my amateur reading), etc.

- It allows the admins to see what complaints people have about the game and what areas they could focus on.

I don't have a problem with people being upset and complaining about issues or events, etc. This is a good thing, and we've had complaints minor and stuff that has taken it's own thread about things in the game people don't like that even if they get pretty heated, can stay on topic and be productive. It's personal attacks, ad hominens and other stuff that I don't think are very useful and distract from other things.

So that's some of my thoughts. Hopefully that makes sense.
    Immediately sent a misaether to the Board upon being reinducted into the clan. AHahaehahh me die of shame now
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    We just let anybody in these days, huh?
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    I'm still sad about @Tarkenton's potential Shadowrun falling through. I so want to play a cyberpunk stealth/intrigue game, so many interesting character archetypes to plaaaay.
  • I can't upgrade to Windows 10 :( For some reason, it thinks my SSD is a USB stick...
  • NochtNocht Glomdoring
    Tweets was not closed out of some naive desire by the administration to force the forums into a Leave It to Beaver-esque haven of rainbows, sunshine, and good feelings. We did not close it because someone said a naughty word. We did not close it to try and suppress complaints about the game or our decisions. 

Tweets was closed because, once again, the "strongly worded disagreements" had escalated to a point where we were getting complaints, and it was devolving into nothing more than name calling.

• Frustrated at very frequent ~1s lag bursts every few seconds.

Anyone else lagging a lot IG today?!?
  • I'm not lagging IG, but I'm pretty laggy OOC :(
    It is lagging pretty badly at times. It's worse because it's not consistent.

I can't see anything I'm typing on the forums. I'm just kind of trusting that there are words here. What the heck!?
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'd like to remind everyone that Lusternia does have two Facebook pages. One which is sort of an official one, and on which Estarra occasionally posts, and a second one which is called Unedited Lusternia Rants and Raves. You're welcome to join either, especially the second one in which I'm the only mod. If you're not comfortable exposing your IRL self, feel free to make a fake Facebook profile and look up the group.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    The pain is real. I slipped on water which my darling children spilled and didn't think to either clean up or let me know about. I did manage to break my fall - with my face, straight into the tiles. Much blood, much pain. Split nose, split lip, black eyes...I look classy.

Lavinya said:
    The pain is real. I slipped on water which my darling children spilled and didn't think to either clean up or let me know about. I did manage to break my fall - with my face, straight into the tiles. Much blood, much pain. Split nose, split lip, black eyes...I look classy.
    That sounds like the time I was cleaning the kitchen and overheated. Face to floor, glasses cut my face all up, and now I have a fetching scar around my eyebrow. If you have any cold cans of pop, they help swelling and quench your anger with sugary goodness. Lemon juice is also really good for blood stains! (I really hope you feel better soon, you're tops)

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    You're tits! Like, in a good way.
  • Boring forums is boring.  :(