Real World Raves

Comments

• SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    I bet Xenthos frequents the hotels that rent hourly....

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • XenthosXenthos Shadow Lord
    There's a first time for everything.

But probably not that.
  • SynkarinSynkarin Nothing to see here
    Just remember, at whatever point in time where we actually meet, we're having a drink

Everiine said:
    "'Cause the fighting don't stop till I walk in."
    -Synkarin's Lament.
  • Celina said:
    Month....are there places that rent not by the month?
    In Australia, rent prices are listed by the week. Mine is paid fortnightly. 
  • Akyaevin said:
    Celina said:
    Month....are there places that rent not by the month?
    In Australia, rent prices are listed by the week. Mine is paid fortnightly. 
    Rent in NZ is weekly as well.

Mixed rant/rave for me:

Rave: I'm that little bit closer to shifting to the USA next year (planning on shifting in Late July)
    Half-Rant:  I'm kinda working 4 jobs to earn an ample amount of cash for said goal.  (1 x full time job (35-40 hours a week), 2 x part time (8-10 hours a week each) and 1 x casual job (4 hours a week) - all up, around 65 hours a week. ^^;  )
    Kiss of the Enchantress hisses eerily, "Let them fear, and despair."
  • New Don't Starve expansion announced: Shipwrecked.
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    This is only tangentially a rave.

A friend gave me the idea to run the game I've had plotted out in IRC instead of using full PbP, which is tricky and bogs down easily. Would anyone be interested in playing a hybrid IRC/Forums (not these) magical roleplaying game (Ars Magica)?

I started planning and plotting this campaign.... years ago now*, and put out an ad on these forums. There was a slight amount of response, but the logistics ended up being impossible and it quickly spiraled from there. 

Basically, exploration and solitary player activities like off-camera roleplaying and lab/spell creation would happen via forums, high activity would be done on an IRC channel as needed, with logs posted to the same forums for viewing. I can sit on a channel basically 24/7 using my phone, so scheduling for small group RP should be easy - if you want to roleplay exploring alone you could just pop on when available. The nature of the game/setting means that the group is encouraged to act independently, so big party combat or activities would be relatively infrequent.

Anyways, if you're interested at all in playing a semi-synchronous mythological/historical roleplaying game, hit me up on my Lusternian forums wall thing. I have buku setting information and rules primers written out! I'll post a thread if it becomes a thing, so excite.

*I just googled it, it was 2012. Wow. 
  • Found this while preparing to install Windows 10 on my PC.  Talk about pleasant memories.

W10 is great btw.
    Stangmar - Retired

• Enyalida said:
    This is only tangentially a rave.

A friend gave me the idea to run the game I've had plotted out in IRC instead of using full PbP, which is tricky and bogs down easily. Would anyone be interested in playing a hybrid IRC/Forums (not these) magical roleplaying game (Ars Magica)?

I played in IRC pnp games a few times a few years back, when I still used it frequently. Those were good times. I don't have the time to hang out on an IRC channel like I used to, or I'd give yours a try. Hope you get it started. It'll be fun to read the recorded sessions, at least. Good luck.

• I sleep on a futon.  
    Stangmar - Retired

• We need a real-world Q&MQ, but this is close enough to a rave.

At work today, the first thing an elementary student tells me: "I can't wait to get home and start drinking!"

...there's context, of course. Kids are hilarious.
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    I'm not sure if this is a rave, but apparently Warren Buffet is buying my job's mother company (PCC), so we can't be doing too badly.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • EveriineEveriine Wise Old Swordsbird / Brontaur Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Five days spent with 16 of my family, who came up to camp near me. I worked during the day and spent every evening/night with them. We had a blast! Now, I'm totally exhausted and feel like I need a vacation, but it was worth it.
    Everiine is a man, and is very manly. This MAN before you is so manly you might as well just gender bend right now, cause he's the manliest man that you ever did see. His manly shape has spurned many women and girlyer men to boughs of fainting. He stands before you in a manly manerific typical man-like outfit which is covered in his manly motto: "I am a man!"

Daraius said: You gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Pony power all the way, yo. The more Brontaurs the better.
  • Eritheyl said:
    WALL OF RAVE.

So. On Friday, husband happened across a beeeaauuutiful apartment for rent on Craigslist. It was within our budget, refinished wood floors, gawddamn gorgeous archways between every room...but it was sadly unavailable when we called. But I was not deterred! With that primal urge to relocate every fragment of my life rising, I forced him into consulting ye olde newspapre - we found a place.

Now, it needs work. A lot of work. A loooooooooooot of work. It's the kind of apartment that says 'we're only here because we're 20-somethings working entry-level retail and can't afford a place with painted trim', which is great! Mostly because we're 20-somethings working entry-level retail and can't afford a place with painted trim! Or clean sinks! Or uncracked floor tiles!

But at the end of the day, this is the stuff that fuels me. Taking something hideous and slightly musty, and turning my spare hours into making it a picturesque little den. After doing so for countless friends over the years, it's finally my turn. Aw ye.
    I can only see myself putting money and time into fixing up a place if I owned it.  
    Stangmar - Retired

• EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Eritheyl said:
    Taking something hideous and slightly musty, and turning my spare hours into making it a picturesque little den. After doing so for countless friends over the years, it's finally my turn. Aw ye.

Shouldn't talk about yo man like that ;P
  • CyndarinCyndarin used Flamethrower! It was super effective.
    Enyalida said:
    Eritheyl said:
    Taking something hideous and slightly musty, and turning my spare hours into making it a picturesque little den. After doing so for countless friends over the years, it's finally my turn. Aw ye.

Shouldn't talk about yo man like that ;P
  • RancouraRancoura the Last Nightwreathed Queen Canada
    Celina. All your GIFs are raveworthy. I'm amused by every single one of them.

Tonight amidst the mountaintops
    And endless starless night
    Singing how the wind was lost
    Before an earthly flight

• BY THE WAY.
    This isn't exactly a rave - well kind of a rave because I thought it was hilarious.

I work in a liquor store part time (one of my few jobs), and this week we had a beer and wine tasting - and I kid you not, we got a brand new brand called DRAGON'S MILK. I'll get a picture next time I work there to prove it.

BUT FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT KNOW WHY THAT'S IMPORANT, OMG, I NEARLY LOST MY SHIZ WHEN I SAW IT.
    --------
    "You are so much bigger than you think you are," She says, fervently. "You are a beacon of hope that shines through the world with every step you take. You are My beacon, Gabriella, and you shine even into the darkest of nightmares."
    --------
    The air sparkles with silver motes of light as a silken voice says, "You will see growth and strength where others will see weakness. You will walk with Us as a paragon of Serenwilde's power, for you have already walked this path before."
  • Gabriella said:
    BY THE WAY.
    This isn't exactly a rave - well kind of a rave because I thought it was hilarious.

I work in a liquor store part time (one of my few jobs), and this week we had a beer and wine tasting - and I kid you not, we got a brand new brand called DRAGON'S MILK. I'll get a picture next time I work there to prove it.

BUT FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT KNOW WHY THAT'S IMPORANT, OMG, I NEARLY LOST MY SHIZ WHEN I SAW IT.
    Is... is it golden?
    "Chairwoman," Princess Setisoki states, holding up a hand in a gesture for her to stop and returning the cup. "That would be quite inappropriate. One of the males will serve me."
  • Kethaera said:
    Gabriella said:
    BY THE WAY.

Is... is it golden?
    I'm pretty sure the label is.  It actually might have been called Golden Dragon's Milk, I can't quite remember.  IT TASTED HORRIBLE THOUGH.
    --------
    "You are so much bigger than you think you are," She says, fervently. "You are a beacon of hope that shines through the world with every step you take. You are My beacon, Gabriella, and you shine even into the darkest of nightmares."
    --------
    The air sparkles with silver motes of light as a silken voice says, "You will see growth and strength where others will see weakness. You will walk with Us as a paragon of Serenwilde's power, for you have already walked this path before."
  • Stangmar said:
    Eritheyl said:
    WALL OF RAVE.

So. On Friday, husband happened across a beeeaauuutiful apartment for rent on Craigslist. It was within our budget, refinished wood floors, gawddamn gorgeous archways between every room...but it was sadly unavailable when we called. But I was not deterred! With that primal urge to relocate every fragment of my life rising, I forced him into consulting ye olde newspapre - we found a place.

Now, it needs work. A lot of work. A loooooooooooot of work. It's the kind of apartment that says 'we're only here because we're 20-somethings working entry-level retail and can't afford a place with painted trim', which is great! Mostly because we're 20-somethings working entry-level retail and can't afford a place with painted trim! Or clean sinks! Or uncracked floor tiles!

But at the end of the day, this is the stuff that fuels me. Taking something hideous and slightly musty, and turning my spare hours into making it a picturesque little den. After doing so for countless friends over the years, it's finally my turn. Aw ye.
    I can only see myself putting money and time into fixing up a place if I owned it.  

I've often exchanged such work (and small amounts of money, but mostly work) to a place as part of rent exchange. When I was a 20-something working entry-level and couldn't afford a place with painted trim =)
  • TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    I'm going to be spending a week with some non-Lusternian friends, and one of them is really into console gaming, especially on the Wii U. He likes to play Smash with me until his fingers bleed, because he never seems to be able to get past me! So raves for getting to polish some old gaming skill and spending time outside the First World, though a lot of it will be spent going:

* * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."