QUOTES 8: THE QUOTING

Comments

• LuceLuce Fox Populi
    edited July 2015
    Haven't we had the '...in the available light' debate going ourselves? I seem to recall at least one Trademasters post about it. In the end, I am unsure how much this will ultimately affect designs, after the initial time investment to clear old designs using contractions. I tend to maintain a distinction between Luce's cadence and vocabulary and the one I use for designs, because I think designs straddle IC/OOC lines. You aren't just describing an item your character is producing and consuming/using, you're also describing to the player what it's like to experience that item.

EDIT: Actually, this point reminds me of a tangential idea I had for a thread or something (probably just a GooDoc) to record random imagery or impressions I want to evoke in designs, spawned from a non-Lusternia related project I had where I wanted a way to describe dragon wings using words and concepts the character in question was familiar with. He'd never seen open sky, so he couldn't well know the word 'aurora', and I'd already used 'nacreous'. Regardless, it might be an interesting project. /hijack
  • EnyalidaEnyalida Nasty Woman, Sockpuppeteer to the Gods
    Can't. Shan't. Won't.
  • DaraiusDaraius Shevat The juror's taco spot
    "In the Available Light" sounds like a play title. Somebody write it, then quote it in this thread. 
    I used to make cakes.

Estarra the Eternal says, "Give Shevat the floor please."
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    What Sthai said, but with smaller words.

As for me, I'm respectfully of the opinion that one shouldn't make rules simply because you can. If this was a pervasive problem in designs, I could see how this is a good idea. Otherwise, I don't see how it matters either way.

If something failed inspection because it has contractions and the reviewers are uncertain as to how to proceed, that's not the designers' fault. If this was a rule that has always been in effect and simply not documented, that isn't the designers' fault either. A lack of documentation by the people who write the files is at fault. I realise @Charites come and go, and I especially realise that "this is how we've always done it" is never a good excuse, but there's simply no way this will make designs or designing better IMO.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • This is what happens when you take away the Tweets thread. Mutiny in the quotes thread. Bring back funny quotes! I am in terrible need of laughter!
  • I don't design much here, and I never used to design too much in my other IREs as well, but personally, I get irritated when I see things like a mix of british and american spelling in different designs, or even within the same design.

Now, that's a personal pet peeve that has to do with the education system I was brought up in, but the underlying concept is that of standardization: it's the same thing as when I get irritated by things like 759 as maximum tattoo weight. Creativity can be expressed regardless of consistency, however, there is a point when the inconsistency shadows creative work and just makes everything look sloppy. Regulation can stifle creativity, but it can also add value to the quality and reputation of a group of work as a whole. 

Not everything needs to be standardized, but there is no harm in some kind of standard aimed at neatness and quality control, and a healthy dose of it can certainly help improve both credibility as well as aesthetics.

• TarkentonTarkenton Traitor Bear
    Honestly, I'd just love if all the little rules that the design reviewers follow/look at were publicly available.  HELP 21.5 is obviously outdated, as it doesn't hold this latest decision in it. For anyone who doesn't own a cartel, as unlikely as them using a contraction would be, they have no clue if they don't frequent the forums.

My biggest gripe with the current files is lacking a reference on what comm can be used in place of what else.  A definitive list would be a nice thing to have.  Along with all the other things that have accumulated as best practices over the years.  Perhaps a style guide wouldn't be a bad idea. 
  • edited July 2015
    The fact that it wasn't in the HELP file is my fault, as I had gone to bed when the Charites announced the change. Sorry about that! It has now been rectified.
  • RiviusRivius Your resident wolf puppy
    I actually really like this change. Sometimes, especially in short designs, contractions made them feel a bit sloppy to me.
  • ShaddusShaddus , the Leper Messiah Outside your window.
    Krackenor said:
    This is a funny joke, right? You all didn't just spend over an entire page in quotes complaining and railing against something which affects virtually nothing and changes the style of virtually no one did you?
    Yes, we did. You must be new here.
    Everiine said: The reason population is low isn't because there are too many orgs. It's because so many facets of the game are outright broken and protected by those who benefit from it being that way. An overabundance of gimmicks (including game-breaking ones), artifacts that destroy any concept of balance, blatant pay-to-win features, and an obsession with convenience that makes few things actually worthwhile all contribute to the game's sad decline.
  • Sylandra said:

Maybe a helpful mod (@Oneiroi?) can move this conversation into its own thread? I forgot for five seconds that this was Quotes!

To stay on topic:

(Clan): Tekora says, "A'wE neeexerm be *hic* en WhIsh drunnt bvqfore,,, eerer."

(Clan): Shedrin says, "I can't make that out at all."

(Clan): Tekora says, "I shoouhld proobablo hh *hic* eaaXtstop."

(Clan): Tekora says, "Sredrrrin, meeT mp at AgengeR areda."

(Clan): Shedrin says, "Wut."

(Clan): Tekora (from the Prime Material Plane) says, "SnzDdliZ *hic* zzz AR *hic* ena."

(Clan): Tekora (from the Prime Material Plane) says, "ARENnA."

(Clan): Shedrin says, "I'm roleplaying, you'll have to continue suffering."
    I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF, I WANTED MORE CUTE PUPPIES AND KITTIES, I KNEW NOT THE CONSEQUENCES OF SUCH POWER.

• Mukyu Tohma says, "I will just proceed down the path I am now."

Trooper Sedanas, Blade of Ambition says, "Just do what feels right."

Mukyu Tohma says, "If I don't like it, suicide is always an option."

Tohma cackles hellishly.

Mukyu Tohma says, "I never claimed to be a decent person."

Magnagora. Where even the novices fear not death. 

• TremulaTremula Banished Quasiroyal
    edited July 2015
    Yes, yes, self-quoting is gauche but it would be buried if I didn't save this for him.

9 ) 2015/07/31 12:52:08 - Tremula: "So my standards for this library work is to be longer than the work by @Portius I'm basing it off of."
    10) 2015/07/31 12:52:21 - Tremula: "I think he'd get a snicker off of it, so that's my go ahead."

* * * WRACK AND ROLL AND DEATH AND PAIN * * *
                                         * * * LET'S FEEL THE FEAR OF DEATH AGAIN * * *
              * * * WE'LL KILL AND SLAUGHTER, EAT THE SLAIN * * *
      * * * IN RAVAGING WE'LL ENTERTAIN * * *

Ixion tells you, "// I don't think anyone else had a clue, amazing form."
  • Okay, so the only thing I will say about the removal of contractions (or the confirmed rule that we cannot have them, whatever you'd like to say) - is that while I rarely used them, from what I can remember (gawd, has it been that long since I made a design?) is that I think I would occasionally use it to fix a strange flow in how something was read, or if I felt like it was overly long, or if I was feeling repetitive in my description. I try to avoid repeating words wherever possible, not only because synonyms, when used correctly, are great, but because I'm just weird like that.  But then again, it was very rarely.  I just liked that I had the unofficial option of using it.  But if so few people were using it, then essentially, yes, it should be a non-issue?

Now, to return to the relevant topic at hand, @Celina I'm really tempted to put this in my signature, as hands-down that's one of the best things I've seen in a long time.

Celina said:
    Who knew the peaceful designers were as sassy and gruff about grammar as the PKers are about envoy reports. Is this how I get the Glom non coms to help in raids? Seren is taking away your personal pronouns! TO ARMS! Use your quill and aim for the eyes! Edit: "AAAGGGH they are coming!" "THEY'RE! He didn't use a contraction! Get him!"

--------
    "You are so much bigger than you think you are," She says, fervently. "You are a beacon of hope that shines through the world with every step you take. You are My beacon, Gabriella, and you shine even into the darkest of nightmares."
    --------
    The air sparkles with silver motes of light as a silken voice says, "You will see growth and strength where others will see weakness. You will walk with Us as a paragon of Serenwilde's power, for you have already walked this path before."
  • Ellowyn said:
    Leolamins made a post with betting odds for the upcoming election.   

You say, "I like big bets and I cannot lie."
    You impersonate UnaCounted Leolamins d'Murani, the Undead Axe.

You say, "Those other bookies can't deny."

You say, "When an election comes on, all bets are placed."

You say, "There's no time for haste!"

You say, "We all vote!"

(He asked me to post this).  
    It was YOU wasn't it??? You were the person impersonating me! Don't think I have forgotten that! I never  forget!
  • edited July 2015
    I *just* noticed this:

Entered by: The Oneiroi, Administrators of Fate Date: 2015-07-23 16:01:39

o HELP BUGS and HELP HOWTOREPORT have been updated in light of Changelog

o The Barktouch attack will now correctly function for Wyrdenwoods.

o People of all genders may now celebrate their sizzlin' hot buns.

EDIT:  Added bonus:

Original text:

"People of all genders may now celebrate their sizzlin' hot buns."

...10 translations later, Yandex gives us:

"People of all races, now, to see a very sexy cake."

...Is that the cake that @Portius jumps out of?

--------
    "You are so much bigger than you think you are," She says, fervently. "You are a beacon of hope that shines through the world with every step you take. You are My beacon, Gabriella, and you shine even into the darkest of nightmares."
    --------
    The air sparkles with silver motes of light as a silken voice says, "You will see growth and strength where others will see weakness. You will walk with Us as a paragon of Serenwilde's power, for you have already walked this path before."
  • PhoebusPhoebus tu fui, ego eris. Circumstances
    Gabriella said:
    I *just* noticed this:

Original text:

Somebody's a little hooked on the bad translator.  :P
  • Phoebus said:
    Gabriella said:
    I *just* noticed this:

Original text:

Somebody's a little hooked on the bad translator.  :P
    I... I have *no* idea what you are talking about.
    :-\"
    --------
    --------
  • Furball Leolamins d'Murani, the Undead Axe says, "Who keeps changing my prefix?"