What are your "Quality of Life" tips and tricks for new and returning players?

edited March 2022 in Q&A

Much has changed since my most active phase in Lusternia. When I return, I am always delighted by all the new and fantastical things! I also find out really neat changes to syntax or just new commands that make things a lot less tedious. For example, I cannot tell you how ecstatic I was to learn about GEMCUT GROUP. Another example was finding out how I did not have to outrift commodities for crafting. Also, dingbats are no longer a thing.

I was hoping that we could have a place to share similar tips and tricks that makes things a little easier.

As I find things I find things not posted in the comments I will edit this post and add them.

--------------------------------

Systems

--------------------------------

Others have currently discussed systems that are currently being updated by active players. These systems have built in "Quality of Life" reflexes for a variety of functions.

1. Crystal for Nexus (Thanks Lendren (creator)!)
  2. Bloom for Mudlet (Thanks Llani (creator) and Calfuray for pointing it out!)

--------------------------------------

Commands

--------------------------------------

MAP LIST - List of areas and names that you can PATH TRACK to (Thanks Esei and Ashnezharr!)

🌈💕✨💖

Comments

• The best, best, best thing that ever helped me with combat was SETALIAS. I realize this is probably a well-known thing but for a total beginner like me it was game changing. Don't type PERFORM SONG GOODBERRY <PERSON> type GB <person> make your own life easier.

• edited March 2022

In the Commands section:

PATH SEARCH <text>: Find a room to PATH TRACK to based on partial names.

HELPSEARCH <text>: Find the help file about something if it's not found by HELP <text>.

CHANGELOG SEARCH <text>: Especially useful when the help file may not be current.

HELP CALENDARNOTES: Did you know you can set alarms for specific days, and see events in CALENDAR? There's also a way to use a watch to set alarms but that's based on times, not days.

CONFIG NAMETELLS OFF: Stop accidentally sending tells when you mistype.

CONFIG RIFTCRAFT ON: Craft straight out of your rift without outrifting.

Equipment:

Regulators: Automatically recharge your enchantments as you use them.

• edited March 2022

ORGCREDITS - Keep track of your organization's earned yearly credits - see also POINTLOG. (HELP ORGCREDITS)

DAILYCREDITS - Keep track of your earned daily credits so far. (HELP DAILYCREDITS)

RECOGNIZE (or RECOGNISE) - Recognize another player for their RP! They get a daily credit tic, some xp or essence, and a lovely message in a log. (HELP RECOGNIZE)

RECOGNIZELOG (or RECOGNISELOG) - Check who you recognized, when, and why - this also works for who's recognized you!

GODFEELINGS - Check if you have a divine favor (or disfavor), and how long they will last.

SETALARM <1-12> (AM|PM|MIDDAY|MIDNIGHT) and SETALARM (NONE|CANCEL) - If you have a timepiece, you can set an alarm to go off at any - or all - hours of the day.

To follow in the line of Ialie's aforementioned trade commands:

HARVEST <plant> [SINGLE|INDIVIDUAL|GROUP] - Harvesting a group of herbs will result in gathering 3-5 herbs in one, slightly longer, balance.

BAKE WAFER [GROUP] - Bake a group of 100 wafers at a time, for a considerably longer balance.

For people who may be getting back into guild leadership:

GUILD TASK SHOW <person> - See all the tasks a member of your guild has yet to complete.

EDIT:

I believe, ever since the non-binary gender was implemented in late 2019, everyone currently starts with a free CHANGEGENDER. (Announce 2976)

pronouns: they/them
  • edited March 2022

RPWHO [ON|OFF] RPWHO will list those players in the game interested in roleplaying. (This one is old though, just not sure how many people know about it.)

🌈💕✨💖

• Base commands tend to give lots of helpful syntax, yes. Highly recommend searching the changelog like Lendren said.

Bardics and Artisanals have been running!

PROMOTION For monthly promotions

ASHOP. No more hunting through scrolls for artifacts. Can search in lots of ways.

AB ALL <skill> [ability] works even if you don't possess that skill or want to see, say, Druidry or Wicca which have abilities unique to Glom/Seren.

HELP LOGINNOTE

NEWSSEARCH <board> <term> For lore-hounds. Get creative if the term has apostrophes though.

For reorienting on return, CGHELP is good for basics and CHELP, and GHELP are useful for getting back into lore and some possible drivers for your character. (Poke Regent/Minister if something looks off.) COMMUNE/CITY PRIVS. And Guild and Order. HELP 21.3 for clan leader commands.

Active: Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday EST

• EMOVERRIDE: if you're tired of using premotes customize them to your liking!

CLOTHING will give a list of commands you can use to organize your clothes and hide any you don't want to show.

• For coding and testing triggers:

ECHO <text>

makes the MUD spit the text back at you (and only you) so you can see if your trigger reacts as it should. (Also can be useful to make the MUD spit text as a 'sentinel' to trigger on, but that's too advanced for this thread.)

• Lots of people know about REPLY; far fewer know about RT (retell). 
  • LuceLuce Fox Populi
    Only just realized how new this is, but LINK <node/nexus> <#> is baseline now, and will automagically unlink you from the thing after a given number of links!
    Wonderpie is underappreciated, in my opinion. The third power doubles your cooking output and stacks with the spatula and the spectral measuring cup. A later power gives increased gold rewards from turnins, one gives a crit buff, and one gives an experience boost. It's not a bad option for your second or third wonder item depending on how often you hunt, cook, influence, etc. The 3 crystal dip for chefs is a must.
    Why is it second or third? Because as a returning player, WONDERCORN CLAIM will net you a crystal for every tenth level you've earned. Technically you only get the crystals, but the wonder cornucopia gives you a herofete's benefits by 8 crystals, plus the tonic power which can give you some fun fluids, and at 10 you get 500 free goop or a free wonder crystal each in-game year.
    Speaking of underappreciated, if you get curios from presents or the wheel, check CURIOMARKET before rubbing them to see if you can get a quick credit or two per piece.
    And lastly for now, if you haven't melded since the mage rework, you can now <whatever>CAST CLEAR NODE <#> to release just that room from your meld, letting you move meld rooms around in hunting areas or Astral without needing to reraise the effects.
  • Selia said:
    Lots of people know about REPLY; far fewer know about RT (retell). 
    STOP STOP STOP this doesn't actually work; I wrote this at like 3AM when I had been playing a different IRE; Lusternia doesn't have this yet?