Welcome to Night Vale - Mafia

Comments

• Seems an odd power... I can't find anything mentioning "gorgolu" on the wiki page. We'll see what Ieptix says, if anything.
  • 'Sacrifice' doesn't pull up anything relevant either. I'm dead curious about what's gonna happen.

(I totally respond to guilt tripping. Genuinely feel bad for making Lavinya have a bad time. Just not going to let that affect my gameplay.)

• Anyways, if that is a day power activation, I kind of hope it doesn't end the day or result in insta-lynch... I feel like we could have given Lav a chance to use her day power as @Ushaara suggested and clear her name properly.
  • Ushaara said:
    Bleh, I don't know how I feel about your evidence for scum-tells being based on posting style in other games. I know it's hard to divorce what we know about people's play styles from other games, and we all refer back to other games for ease of justification, but new game should be clean slate and all that! People try out different play styles, especially if one play style gets you killed off early in a different game!

(Otherwise we'll all have to start creating fake forum accounts to keep some anonymity the more games we play!)
    I strongly disagree. Look at how much activity it has generated. By pointing out a discrepancy in Lavinya's behaviour I found out, we've got a lot more information to work on. Discrepancies in posting behaviour is not a high quality tool. It really only works on people who play a lot of mafia and that maintain distinctive tells in behaviour across certain roles. But when there's little else to go for, it can help narrow targets. Poking Lavinya really made a lot happen.

Including, apparently, sacrificial rituals. It seems Krackenor is an executioner. Let me just count the votes.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • I'm counting six votes for Lavinya. So if this ends the day, I'm assuming that Krackenor's power is an execution. A double vote doesn't look like it'll be enough to lynch her.
    Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
  • UshaaraUshaara Schrödinger's Traitor
    I don't deny it may be effective, but it's just not really a particularly appealing way of going about things to me.

"You were aggressive in X game where you were town, and aren't doing that here. Conclusion: you're mafia!"

People are already cautious enough about posting, and now if mafia have to match their play styles with how they play in previous games to avoid suspicion, I think it risks making every game the same and people even more cautious about posting. If this is something that becomes a thing in these forum games, I think I'll be counting myself out.

It's the advantage in-game vengeance has over forum mafia, in that our identities are masked.
  • On one hand, I can see where you're going. On the other hand, considering it's use is to actively prod people into saying more, I disagree with the conclusion that it'll lead to people being more cautious about posting. If you don't say anything, don't give me anything to work with, then I'm going to have to dig deeper and find other angles to study you. If anything, I'd argue that the over-aggression on everyone who speaks up does far more to force people into being cautious and silent.
  • SylandraSylandra Join Queue for Mafia Games The Last Mafia Game
    Someone has to get lynched on day 2! And we don't have much information, so whoever it is, we are taking a risk. I'm genuinely sorry that you're this upset we are voting you, @Lavinya, but it's always a risk in mafia. (Hey, you could have died night 1!) I also disagree that there's nothing to talk about. I had no night messages and still have found plenty to discuss regarding who was killed, theme speculation, and commentary on people's behavior. It took a lynch train to get you posting more. Yes it's possible that you're town, but even the powers you've listed don't seem to be a huge loss for town, so I feel okay about it. Lynches bring town information, even if they are townies. That's why we are in support of them.

Still think Silvanus acted really fishy but maintaining my vote because Lavinya is being wildly defensive.

Think Krackenor is being a goofball?
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Krackenor is Nihilist in real life. ;))
    I don't mind being assessed on prior games. I do think it's a tricky double edged sword in that people can intentionally choose to act in a way that people associate with themselves to avoid suspicion. On the other hand I hoped being crazy in the Werewolf game would raise flags because I was playing very different than I usual do.

But I'd argue this is less about personality and more about role. Some roles lend to being quiet and some lend to being loud. I like to talk in mafia games in general, but there are times it's more strategic to wait. I already gave the example of protectors and investigators, which is moot since we lost ours already.

Anyway regardless of how she has acted in other games, Lavinya is acted kind of odd here. If she had reacted calmly and given her feedback on what happened so far instead of flying off the handle for daring to be voted, maybe we would be having a different conversation. Silvanus's weird pseudo defense of her didn't help matters admittedly.
    Daraius said:
    "Oh yeah, you're a naughty mayor, aren't you? Misfile that Form MA631-D. Comptroller Shevat's got a nice gemstone disc for you, but yer gonna have to beg for it."
  • Krackenor's action was an execution. Reveal and beginning of night 2 later today/tonight.
    7c95dbc25a4a9ae292cccb899a49a79b18529207e135ebccd89c0877d386ebea
    ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GLOW CLOUD.
  • Excuse me, I am never goofy. Eccentric sometimes, goofy NEVAR.
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    Sylandra was right, the flying off the handle just want like me and now I'm a bit embarrassed. When I get anxious I get angry (then eventually become a hysterical sobbing mess ), and I have a lot on my plate right now. Sorry sorry. Also if that doesn't ruin the theory of consistency of play style nothing will, ha.

• No speaking! Thou hast been sacrificed to Lord Gribbly!
  • LavinyaLavinya Queen of Snark Australia
    I just wanted to apologise since this all happened while I was sleeping!

• I hope I didn't make the game uncomfortable for you to play. I know myself how the game can go from being something fun to something stressful, amd that was the last thing I wanted to do. I still hope to see you in the next game.
    The Glow Cloud also endorses the above sentiment. I know I play aggressively, but please know it's never my intention (or anyone else's, I suspect!) to make the game un-fun for other people.

It's all pretendy-fun-time murder, at least on my end. <3
    Daraius said:
  • Krackenor said:
    No speaking! Thou hast been sacrificed to Lord Gribbly!
    Shush yourself!  Let the woman apologise if she wants to.

Also, nothing to apologise for @Lavinya.  You know we all love you. <3
  • Well, to be honest I think we're technically allowed to speak until Ieptix ends the dayphase with the lynch. At least that's how it worked in a couple of other games.
    I'm so bad at waiting, ahaha. I keep glancing at my phone to see this thread. xD
    Daraius said:
  • edited June 2016
    Lavinya was Dana Cardinal.

Dana Cardinal: former Night Vale Community Radio intern, now mayor of our fair town, always close friend to Cecil. You are one of the most compassionate and good-hearted citizens of Night Vale, which sometimes puts you at odds with the City Council and others, but you still hold considerable sway over the city. Of course, as mayor, you know secets. Dark, dark secrets. But we will not talk about those, because we are good, loyal, frightened community members. What's that taste in your mouth, you ask? Oh, that's nothing. You just like chewing on dirt when you're nervous.

Each day you may activate the following power, up to twice during the game:

Governor (even if you're just the mayor): Protect another target from a lynch. To activate this power, post "I declare <player> to be under my protection." in bold. This post must come before the final vote on a target is cast for it to take effect.

You win with the town.
  • It is now Night 2.

All participants have 48 hours to submit their night actions.
  • *clicks refresh hourly*
  • 12ish hours to get night actions in! And no, I'm most definitely not making this post just to mess with the serial refreshers. Why would you even think that?
    /wanders a sea of sadness as she waits for night actions
    Daraius said:
  • edited June 2016
    And now, horoscopes!

Gemini: The trees are out to get you, Gemini. They know what you did, and they have far more patience than you can imagine.

Cancer: Today will be the best day of your life, and you'll live the rest of your life knowing that nothing could ever again compare to this day. At first you'll strive to recreate today, or at least some fleeting shadow of the joy you'll experience, but nothing will ever be enough. Even as you find yourself forging loving relationships and achieving your life and career goals, everything will be clouded by the knowledge that your best day is behind you and you cannot hope to ever match it. A continuous sense of despair will slowly build over your life, destroying your motivation and desires until you become naught but a husk of your former self shuffling through a routine as lifeless as you are. Is this all worth visiting that All-You-Can-Eat 24-hour dessert buffet? the stars wonder, but they know you've already made your choice.

Leo: Um, listeners, the page for this entry is just a winking emoticon. I'm not sure what that means, exactly. I'm not even sure if it's the good kind of wink or the sinister kind of wink. I guess you'll find out, Leo.

Virgo: The pain from your stubbed toe last week will certainly be put into perspective when you find yourself in a chainsaw juggling battle with a clown. And yes, the fact that you're entering this competition will be entirely your fault. It's almost impressive how you pull it off.

Libra: How many bottles of Febreeze do you need? The only way to get rid of that smell in your home is to get rid of the dead bodies left by the secret Squirrel War waging in your walls. What do you mean you didn't know about the Squirrel War? You thought the chittering and the shrieking was just your neighbors having sex? The stars never want to meet your neighbors, and they definitely don't want to know how you think lovemaking works, Libra.

Scorpio: The stars hope your life suitably mirrors your sun sign, Scorpio. By which I mean I... er, the stars, want to find you covered in more scorpions than you can count.

Sagittarius: On a cloudy night, you'll see a spotlight dancing in the distance, its beams reflected off the overcast sky as they dance their clover shape above. Intrigued, you will get in your car and drive towards the spotlight. Spotlights aren't common near your home, so there must be something extra special going on. As you approach, the lights will flicker off, only to appear again further in the distance. Confused but curious, you'll again set of in search of the dancing luminescence. This process will repeat over and over until you are consumed by an unconquerable obsession with finding the source of the lights, but will never discover it. The stars, it turns out, will just be bored, and you will make a good target for a prank.

Capricorn: Exercise is important for your overall health, Capricorn. Keep this in mind as you flee in terror from the angry pack of wolves you set free trying to break into the zoo.

Aquarius: Today will be exactly the same as every other day of your life. The stars say you need to get a hobby or something. They're tired of watching you spend every day watching re-runs of Oprah while you write awful poetry on your walls in permanent marker. It was amusing for the first few days, when it seemed like just a funk you'd move away from, but it's been five years now and now it's just sad.

Pisces:

Aries: The paper is on fire and dripping blood. There are no words. I'm sorry, Aries.

Taurus: Take care to avoid hatchets. ...um, wow, the stars are assholes today. Thanks a lot for that.

This has been horoscopes.

It has been an eventful evening, Night Vale. It seems someone found one of the otherworldy peoples that the City Council clearly did not summon into our city in a bloodstone chanting ritual gone wrong. We don't know who these people are, or what they want with our town, but we've found one of them.

Early this morning, the body of the facade known as Ayisdra was found atop a building in the Shambling Orphan Housing District. The person who discovered him called the Sheriff's Secret Police by shouting "POLICE!" loudly and letting herself be heard by the nearby surveillance microphones that fill our city. A few men appeared, though we can't know if they were actually members of the Sheriff's Secret Police or just people on the street who heard the shout. They clambered onto the roof and found the body. As the sun rose higher in the sky, the enchantment around Ayisdra faded, revealing another person entirely. This person was light on possessions, carrying only a three-clawed weapon and a blowgun. Next to the body was a copy of J.R.R. Tolkien's young adult romance novel, The Silmarillion, in hardcover, seemingly discarded.

No one in the city was able to recognize this person when we broadcast his face over the radio in our earlier broadcast, leading to the conclusion that he is not from Night Vale. We don't know who this person is or what his goals in Night Vale are, but we're one step closer to discovering the truth behind what the City Council most certainly did not set into motion three days ago. More on this story as there is more on this story to tell.